Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fodorflex - Taiyodo Koko Co.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Fodorflex - Taiyodo Koko Co. Reply with quote

My wife bought this camera for me on a Dutch fleemarket. It's already nice as a piece of decoration, but it would be even nicer to make photographs with it Wink
Does anybody know which type of film I need for this camera?

What is writen on the cam:
FODORFLEX
TAIYODO KOKO CO. LTD.
SYNCHRO-MXV

Upper Lens:
Tri-Lausar
80/3.5

Down Lens:
Biokor 80/3.5

I guess a japanese camera - I haven't made research yet, but the name of the company sounds very Japanese to me ... Wink

Cheers
Tobias

Last edited by tobbsman on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Of course the camera takes 120 format film. Basically the camera is a Beautyflex, which was rebranded for a Dutch importer (Fodor, hence the name). I think you can get very fine shots out of it, as the lenses were made by Tomioka Wink

I have some Fodor brochures, but those are from the earlyh 70's and at that time the TLR market was already almost dead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fodorflex - Taiyodo Koko Co. Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:

Does anybody know which type of film I need for this camera?

Very probably 120 which is widely available, if the film space is 6 cm wide.

If you are very unlucky then it is 4 cm wide 127 which I don't know if it is manufactured any more or how one can process it.

If you have access to some sort of 6x6 enlarger or projector - try color reversal - you might get a slideshow you won't belive your eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks ... that brings up some light in my darkness Smile

is it film like this here?:
http://cgi.ebay.at/10x-Fuji-Fujichrome-Provia-100F-120-format-RDPIII-film_W0QQitemZ350241889896QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518c0b1e68

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the 120 film. Though first roll through, I suggest print film.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Though first roll through, I suggest print film.

Hi Nesster,
Sorry, I can't follow what you mean by that ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Print film is more forgiving for exposure errors... So it's not a bad idea to start with color negatives.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri-Lausar I beleive Tomioka lens, I expect quality shoots from this camera.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In English, Tri-Lausar is a lousy name Laughing

Yeah, what Peter says - use cheap (and cheaply/quickly processed) and wide latitude film first time through any camera, so you can see what's going on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Print film is more forgiving for exposure errors... So it's not a bad idea to start with color negatives.

Yes it is better if you don't know if the shutter is ok. But how do you print the 120 film? My shop used to do only 9x9 prints and not them any more, I think .. ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest -

1. Just have your film developed, not printed.

2. Scan your film with a good flatbed film scanner at low resolution - 1600 dpi perhaps. This is good enough for internet posting. Identify the good pictures.

3. Send the best shots to a professional film scanning service for high-resolution scanning.

4. Crop or digitally enhance the high resolution scans as you desire.

5. Send the jpegs to a good digital printing service to make large prints if you want them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're set up to do your own B&W developing, then you're home free - just get some 120 b&w film, and if your scanner can do MF you're set.

Otherwise... Finland should have a Holga crowd, no? Ask where they get theirs developed. Some independent mini labs will not only develop, but print (and scan, though at a low resolution) 120 film. If they can't handle anything but the 6x6 format, at least they can develop the film...