Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First roll with the MINOX 35 ML
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: First roll with the MINOX 35 ML Reply with quote

I love this small camera by its size and performance. It's a keeper. It comes with me and the Caplio wherever I go. No rangefinder at all, so focus is by estimation. Light meter and some kind of Av mode.

I've opened a gallery for it:

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/jesito/rangefinders/minox35ml/

A few samples, Fuji Superia 200, unretouched, as it come from the lab.

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely - for year, the 35ML was my only camera! If you're scale focusing skills aren't good, this will really help - you can print one off on a sticky label and put it on the back of the camera:

http://www.tomchuk.com/rf_hfd/index.php

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These demonstrate a) why these minox are so well regarded and b) what a great eye you've got.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remeber correctly Jes bought a Smena russian rangefinder device, which could be used here too, but I don't know it it will work ok (or is it working only on Smena cameras?). That rangefinder has the posibility to set the focal lengh and other datas according the used camera ?

By the way, great find, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice result
I like #2, this minox has great potential!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
very nice result
I like #2, this minox has great potential!

Thanks Poilu. Yes I think so. It has a Color Minotar 35mm/f2.8 lens that offer a nice wide angle. Weighting only 180 g. it's super wearable...

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
Lovely - for year, the 35ML was my only camera! If you're scale focusing skills aren't good, this will really help - you can print one off on a sticky label and put it on the back of the camera:

http://www.tomchuk.com/rf_hfd/index.php

Really nice, Puplet, really useful!.
Do you keep your Minox?
Dou you know if the distance can be shown in meters instead of ft.?
Thanks a lot!.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
If I remeber correctly Jes bought a Smena russian rangefinder device, which could be used here too, but I don't know it it will work ok (or is it working only on Smena cameras?). That rangefinder has the posibility to set the focal lengh and other datas according the used camera ?

By the way, great find, thanks.

Yes, Cosmin. I got a Smena rangefinder, and can be placed on any flash shoe. The only problem is that the rangefinder blocks the access to the shutter on some cameras. I use it off the camera, some centimeters won't affect the measuring precission...

The camera has two working modes: Fully automatic ("A") and Av, where you put the aperture and the camera selects the speed. There is a small lever on the top that allows to open one point the diaphragm (for shots against the light -- I don't know if there is an specific word for these in english. In spanish we call it "contraluz").

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The french term of "Contre-jour" is used i think in english (romanian too) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contre-jour .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
The french term of "Contre-jour" is used i think in english (romanian too) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contre-jour .

Merçi, Cosmin! Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Controluce Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not be "backlight"?.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Yes I think it's backlight, but I would let our motherlanguage friends the last word on it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say except - "I am i impressed"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can change the Human Rangefinder Card to metres - just click on the triangle under "focus distance" and change it to metres.

I didn't keep my 35ML. They are not the most reliable cameras in the world, and the metering broke on mine - except when you shook it very hard... I stood outside a camera shop, shook it, and then carried it in very carefully for a part-exchange for the first Canon IXUS! One day, I might get another though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Yes I think it's backlight, but I would let our motherlanguage friends the last word on it.

Backlit/backlight would be the correct English word for it, but 'contrejour' sounded much more classy in the 50s/60s.