Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Developing film with pee!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is (sort of) on topic:
I just noticed that Agfa is
looking for a Java Entwickler.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember as a kid i read in the paper that a prisoner had created sensitised paper and a pinhole camera in his cell and taken a photo which he developed in urine. I must have been very young because I asked my mum what urine was (wee wee), so i think this must be mid 60's.

Urine contains uric acid - that's the stuff that crystalises and makes that yellow crust on urinals. Perhaps that makes it work.

Does anyone know how to fix films for (almost) free without having to buy fixer?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Does anyone know how to fix films for (almost) free without having to buy fixer?

No, and I've been racking my brains trying to recall a book I read decades ago about a PoW who managed to develop (easily enough) and fix (not so easy) films in one of the Japanese PoW camps. I think he must have used a thiosulphate, but knew enough chemistry to be able to make it from available materials.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Thiosulphates (sodium thiosulphate, ammonium thiosulphate) are working very fine and fast like comercial fixers.
Thiosulphates are available in online stores, Ebay, local chemical suppliers, partially it's available cheap as chlorine excess reducer/killer in hardware stores in the pool chemicals section. If you buy it in a hardware store make sure it's really plain sodium thiosulphate and no sodium dithionite etc. - or you will get foggy negatives.

Sodium chloride (yes, table salt) also works a fixer in saturrated solutions but fixing takes 48-72 hours or even more instead of a few minutes and results are also not as a good as with thiosulphates or comercial fixers - it's only an emergency solution.

Another emergency household/hardware store fixer might be ammonia solution - it should be much faster than sodium chloride but it's smelly and agressive (to both film and human Wink) and might get problematic with some sensitive film emulsions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodium Thiosulphate, don't bother with anything else as this stuff is dirt cheap and works very well on any film, I've used it on BW, C41 and E6, it will fix anything. I disolve 500g in 2 litres of water and this lasts me a couple of months, at least 25-30 films.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Sodium-thiosulphate-aquarium-dechlorinator-top-quality-/140726666399?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item20c3f6849f

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
If you pee in your EOS 500 you'll get a polaroid.

Thanks for the laugh! Laughing Laughing Laughing

"Peenol". Laughing Creative name! Laughing

It's incredible what people think about. But that's the nature of man, to test is something is possible.
And that's great. Otherwise we would not be where we are.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
But that's the nature of man, to test is something is possible.

Wait a minute, are you implying that Archimedes found out about it's Principle while taking a bath in... oh no! Surprised Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
If you pee in your EOS 500 you'll get a polaroid.

Thanks for the laugh! Laughing Laughing Laughing

"Peenol". Laughing Creative name! Laughing

It's incredible what people think about. But that's the nature of man, to test is something is possible.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on a special fine grain version I'm calling Urinol-X.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I've been working on a special fine grain version I'm calling Urinol-X.

Wink

Laughing Laughing ooh probably better to sell in powder than in stock dilution Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, would certainly be less smelly! Wink