Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap lens challenge!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd Martyn, what a sweet haul.

I will start with a lens I got @ a pawn shop for $10 last year, a Bushnell 135/2.8. It was filthy dirty but cleaned up nicely except for some tape residue on the focusing ring.

I prefer to use my Sears 135/2.8 because it is so much lighter than the Bushnell. It is cold, windy & snowing here this morning so I only took one shot outside with it.

All shots were @ f4.0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Sears 135mm f2.8 too, great lens without any doubt.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Well, a bit spoilt for choice here. I picked this up as a "box of lenses" at a local car boot sale this morning and had to pay £15.50 for it. However, it leaves me a bit of a quandry. If we assume that none of the lenses cost more than a fiver, I can only still use only one of the lenses here. The question is - which one? I have the following to choose from......

From the top right downwards in rows, all in M42 mount

Optomax Auto 300mm f5.5
Prinz Galaxy 135mm f3.5
CZJ DDR Tessar 50mm f2.8 on the Praktica
Photax Paragon 135mm f2.8
Prinzflex Auto Reflex 35mm f2.8
Vivitar 200mm f3.5
MOG Domiplan 50mm f2.8 on the lower Praktica

If I wanted to get silly there are a pair of LENTAR wide-angle and tele-photo adpaters for a "Polaroid Camera" plus several other "indeterminate" lenses from lord knows what, plus a box full of threaded tripod adapters etc.

Oh, and a "Weston Master II" and a "Leningrad 4" light meter. And some M42 extension tubes. And a slide duplicator.

All in all, a fine haul. But which one to choose? Any opinions? I'm leaning towards the Vivitar 200/3.5, or maybe the Prinzflex 35/2.8 since it is pretty battered Smile

I'd like to see results fron the Prinzflex 35/2.8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I'd like to see results fron the Prinzflex 35/2.8.

Me too, that's the one I'll choose then Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have its wider sister too. But I bought that before the challenge was set down Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
....... The question is - which one? ......

Optomax Auto 300mm f5.5

I once had an Optomax 300mm f5.5 that looked very like yours (though mine was a PK mount). It was pretty bad. It was actually quite sharp even wide open, but had terrible colour fringing that did not improve when stopping down. Contrast was also pretty weak. Not useable in my opinion. I got rid of it.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:

Optomax Auto 300mm f5.5

I once had an Optomax 300mm f5.5 that looked very like yours (though mine was a PK mount). It was pretty bad. It was actually quite sharp even wide open, but had terrible colour fringing that did not improve when stopping down. Contrast was also pretty weak. Not useable in my opinion. I got rid of it.

Mark

The Optpmax brand seems to have a reputation for being a non-performer. I'll have to try each of these lenses out and report back. But the Prinzflex first........ Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
SXR_Mark wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:

Optomax Auto 300mm f5.5

Mark

The Optpmax brand seems to have a reputation for being a non-performer. I'll have to try each of these lenses out and report back. But the Prinzflex first........ Smile

My Optomax 300mm is terrible too, I think it's just a doublet in a tube and the centre sharpness is okay but it falls off fast towards the edges and it has terrible CA.

Those Prinz lenses are very common, you also see them badged Cosinon so I think they were made by Cosina. The 28 and 35mm versions are very common on ebay very cheap so I'm also keen to see how they perform, often been tempted to buy one but I already have a few garbage wide Japanese lenses so waited to see a test by someone first...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Prinzflex 35mm wasn't in as good shape as I thought Smile

Mounted it on my 5D and the focus ring was moving backwards and forwards with a consequent shift in focus. In addition, focusing to infinity hit the mirror - oh no!

Stripped it down and the central barrel was loose. Tightened it up, reassembled (the blades are lazy, but I can fix them later) and adjusted infinity and almost got it right. Light was fading, so I am sure I can do better Smile

100% crops

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you, but to my eye the Prinzflex renders that cat artificially, as though it were a stuffed animal Laughing

BTW, now that I'm looking with the $8 filter on, it's amazing how many $9.99 lenses there are... and that a MD mount Series 1 zoom, that famous one, goes unsold at $1.99 (not obscure enough, plus I dont' get along with long lenses)...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have real cat too Smile Smile Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see some samples from cheap, little known lenses, and to see the variations in image quality.

Ron, I had a Bushnell 35mm 2.8 that I had picked up at a local flea market (southern Ontario) for $12. I have since sold it but always loved the colour that it produced SOOC, so vibrant and true to life.

I picked up a lens I've never heard of at auction today for under $6 (and only $6 shipping to Canada, which was also a bargain). I'm pretty frugal and don't normally 'waste' my money, even when it's only $12, but I figured what the heck, lol, roll the dice and see what happens if only for the sake of this challenge.

Once it arrives I'll test it out and post the results.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makinon 28mm f2.8 is quite good, handy if you are going to places where your expensive lens could get ruined.

Fuji Reala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Some pictures really reflect the price paid. Reply with quote

i won't mention which pictures but those pictures really strengthen the axiom that you get what you paid for.

before i went digtal, my father's film camera would always produce pictures that were flat with no contrast. you know those pictures that had that "orange" tint even on bright sunny outdoor shots. i always thought that it was due to the film developers but i guess it was due to the lens used. those same flat unsaturated pictures are the reason why people buy the leica m cameras and the z, l & v lenses that cost more than a house in asia!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on my purchases for this challenge.

I wanted something a bit different, which ruled out the plethora of 70-210mm zooms out there. But I also wanted something that should be decent. So I decided the best way to get a good lens at a cheap price is to buy one that can't be used on a digital camera!! 'Confused' That is something with no current adapter. This would give me a challenge as well.

So, my first purchase is a X-Fujinon 50mm f1.9. OK, so a nifty fifty is hardly original, but trying to make a mount for it to 4/3 or m4/3 should give me something to work at. And it was certainly cheap!

I don't have the lens yet, so I really do not know how difficult making a mount will be. But I made one for Practika PB to 4/3 so I am reasonably confident of making something.

Anyway, just in case I fail, I picked up this lot today.

Ignoring the M42 and PB TCs, we have a Helios 44M 58mm f2, a Canon FD 50mm f1.8 SC; a Konica AR 40mm f1.8 and a X-Fujinon 55 mm f2.2 (that home made adapter will be useful 'Laughing')

They don't look totally knackered (they are sold as faulty because they are untested), so I should be able to get three usueable lenses out of the lot (making £4 per lens)

Wish me luck

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:

They don't look totally knackered (they are sold as faulty because they are untested), so I should be able to get three usueable lenses out of the lot (making £4 per lens)

Wish me luck

Good luck, godspeed, and go for it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Mark!

I've made a couple of purchases too...

Firstly, what looked like a cheapie 28mm...hmm, take a closer look Laughing

Click here to see on Ebay

So, I tried again to get a less well known lens. I owned the Hanimex 70-210mm zoom before, and it was actually OK! The 80-200mm always gets a good bashing though, so I couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Firstly, what looked like a cheapie 28mm...hmm, take a closer look Laughing

Well spotted! Very Happy

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The 80-200mm always gets a good bashing though, so I couldn't resist!Click here to see on Ebay

I see, a nice soft lens pouch with a free lens! Laughing

Mark

EDIT: I didn't intend to be rude with the last statement. My apologies if I caused offense. Mark

Last edited by SXR_Mark on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a preliminary test of the X-Fujinon 50mm f1.9 lens I bought for this challenge

The lens is in good condition, but does have a bit of cleaning wear on the front element, and a couple of very light scratches. The damage is visible only under bright LED torch illumination (LED torches are incredibly revealing of surface damage on lenses) when it can be seen as bright points of scattered light. In reality, it is minor damage and shouldn't affect the performance.

At the moment, my first attempt at an X-Fujinon to 4/3 adapter does not give me infinity focus, but I intended it only to give me an indication of the lens performance. I think I should be able to make an adapter for 4/3 with infinity focus.

The performance does look very encouraging. At f1.9, it is decently sharp but there is a bit of colour haloing. I expected as much, since most 35mm lenses exhibit this wide open in my experience, and it is by no means a bad result. At f2.8, the performance looks very good indeed. All pictures were taken with my Oly E3, and focus was by eye (not live view), so it may not be exactly spot-on

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bargain Mark!!

OK, here's my first contender...wait for it...yep, a Bell & Howell 28mm f2.8 prime lens in OM mount Cool Looks like the seller realised their mistake and didn't post the Zuiko after all Laughing

Here's the lens:

And the auction:

What can I say about the lens? Well, it vignettes heavily wide open and isn't sharp. At all. Corners are terrible Laughing By f8 is usable I guess Wink

My usual sharpening applied and a touch of contrast too.

f2.8

f5.6

f5.6

f2.8

And now for some crops...

f2.8

f4.5

f5.6

f8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
An update on my purchases for this challenge.

I wanted something a bit different, which ruled out the plethora of 70-210mm zooms out there. But I also wanted something that should be decent. So I decided the best way to get a good lens at a cheap price is to buy one that can't be used on a digital camera!! 'Confused' That is something with no current adapter. This would give me a challenge as well.

So, my first purchase is a X-Fujinon 50mm f1.9. OK, so a nifty fifty is hardly original, but trying to make a mount for it to 4/3 or m4/3 should give me something to work at. And it was certainly cheap!

I don't have the lens yet, so I really do not know how difficult making a mount will be. But I made one for Practika PB to 4/3 so I am reasonably confident of making something.

Anyway, just in case I fail, I picked up this lot today.

Ignoring the M42 and PB TCs, we have a Helios 44M 58mm f2, a Canon FD 50mm f1.8 SC; a Konica AR 40mm f1.8 and a X-Fujinon 55 mm f2.2 (that home made adapter will be useful 'Laughing')

Wish me luck

Mark

Good luck Mark, I was one of the other bidders on that lot of 6 lenses, that 40mm Hexanon is a superb lens, hope it is in decent shape and you can get it working, ideal for micro 4/3rds.

On the Fujinon 1.9/50, you should be able to get that to work on you camera too. I bought a Petri 1.8/55 for 99p (earlier in this thread) and removed the three screws that held the Petri bayonet in place than epoxied a Canon mount off a broken Sigma zoom and hey presto, works a treat, focuses slightly past infinity, so I should have put some shims in to correct that before glueing, but it's no biggie, takes stunning pics, currently my fave lens to use for just walking around as it's so small and light but is tack-sharp and more than fast enough for most conditions.

The Fujinon should be very good also, Arkku raves about EBC Fujinons and all 50/55 lenses are pretty good really.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some great bargains above!

I grabbed a couple of bargains from a recycle shop near my house in Shizuoka, Japan. First is a Komura 135/3.5 with pouch (490 yen / 5 USD). Anyone have this lens? Is it any good?

Second isn't exactly a MF lens but on my camera (D3000) it won't autofocus so I'm posting it up. AF Nikkor 35-135/3.5-4.5 (500 yen)

I'll post some pics soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this qualifies for the challenge because it was bought before the time.

But here's the e-bay posting. [url]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=330537157832&si=lvQM2qKTEk6kjJ6CsFbnz6We9Fg%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT[/url] This was the weird one where I earned 15 ebay bucks for buying this, so a net $3.25 gain.

And here's an image taken with it. It has the common Vivitar issue with the aperture return spring, so one never knows just what aperature one is going to get unless one shoots wide open all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Great bargain Mark!!

OK, here's my first contender...wait for it...yep, a Bell & Howell 28mm f2.8 prime lens in OM mount Cool Looks like the seller realised their mistake and didn't post the Zuiko after all Laughing

Here's the lens:

OT. Anyone knows who is a maker of this lens? I saw this little rhombus sign on DOF scale on several lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cimko and Cimko lenses are usually not good...