Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 v Samyang 85/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice comparison. I'd like to see your thoughts on the Planar vs the Sonnar. I had all 3 and the Samyang was good wide open and at MFD. No real noticeable difference in micro contrast but most pics were of flowers. Otherwise I thought the Zeiss lens were better in every other scenario.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice comparison. I am definately not a pixel peeper, I don't shoot under scientific condition, never shoot MTF charts, but judge a lens or picture on first glance.

I am glad that I chose the Planar as my 85. Your comparison proves my choice, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Samyang too - had, not having it anymore.

What the test is showing (in my opinion):
The Sam... quality doesn't improve that much when stopping down.

My experience:
It has quite low contrast which makes is more difficult to focus exactly.
In the end I stayed with my Tamron 2.8/90 (manual adaptall-version) which produces much better quality (but not having the 2 additional f-stops).

BTW: In bright light even a consumer-zoom lens (Tamron 18-250) produces better quality than the Sam...
Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
I'd choose the Planar anyway, without the test Cool

better construction, better NAME

Samyang looks like a car name Wink

Cool Cool Cool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more from the Planar:

http://forum.mflenses.com/i-love-my-planar-85-1-4-t40255.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that this old thread has been resurrected Smile I chime in just to add my 2¢ worth reflection
about comparing lenses. That is something that sometimes (very rarely) I do, too, but I have to
confess, that I could never derive any agnition from it.
This because these comparisons rarely happen in the same conditions or situations that we would
take our "serious" photos in.
I did try many short tele lenses, compared them sometimes, and never did arrive to any conclusion,
until one day I took these (and other) photos in what has been my most fruitful photo session with a
model to date:

And suddenly, what I got was exactly and completely what I had in mind: the light, the blur, the contrast,
the bokeh, the way it rendered the skin, everything was exactly what I felt and wanted.
Exactly to the point I wanted.
From that moment on, I completely fell for the 1.4/85 Planar. To the point that I am using it almost
exclusively when photographing girls.
So what to say? It has to happen. I mean for you, for the kind of photos that you want to make.
You can use many different lenses, and get good results, but not hear that bell ring.
And one day, you use a lens, and hear the bell ring, and then you know this is the lens for you.
But this only happens when taking real photos, it never happens when testing/comparing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I see that this old thread has been resurrected Smile I chime in just to add my 2¢ worth reflection
about comparing lenses. That is something that sometimes (very rarely) I do, too, but I have to
confess, that I could never derive any agnition from it.
This because these comparisons rarely happen in the same conditions or situations that we would
take our "serious" photos in.
I did try many short tele lenses, compared them sometimes, and never did arrive to any conclusion,
until one day I took these (and other) photos in what has been my most fruitful photo session with a
model to date:

And suddenly, what I got was exactly and completely what I had in mind: the light, the blur, the contrast,
the bokeh, the way it rendered the skin, everything was exactly what I felt and wanted.
Exactly to the point I wanted.
From that moment on, I completely fell for the 1.4/85 Planar. To the point that I am using it almost
exclusively when photographing girls.
So what to say? It has to happen. I mean for you, for the kind of photos that you want to make.
You can use many different lenses, and get good results, but not hear that bell ring.
And one day, you use a lens, and hear the bell ring, and then you know this is the lens for you.
But this only happens when taking real photos, it never happens when testing/comparing.

This is what I was saying in my recent 100-105mm 3 lens comparison, except Orio said it much better. Oh, and great legs too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm All confusing to anyone who wants to buy a 80 to 90mm lens as there are threads here for Pancolor, Minolta, Zeiss, Canon, Tamron etc ....I suppose one way to choose would be:- buy, try, and resell, until you get the one you like Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
erm All confusing to anyone who wants to buy a 80 to 90mm lens as there are threads here for Pancolor, Minolta, Zeiss, Canon, Tamron etc ....I suppose one way to choose would be:- buy, try, and resell, until you get the one you like Wink

Or, look at the galleries and form an opinion.
We created the "Best of Lenses" gallery exactly for that purpose.
But certainly there is no substitute for hands-on experience.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

I have a different take on this. You are going to like whichever one you buy, but as with all our other lenses, we keep looking for better. Think about it, almost every lens people report on gets praise, but each and every one of us still wants to buy another in an endless search for perfection. That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid with my lens collection, but it's hard. I need to keep reminding myself of how happy I am with the ones I have (in any particular focal length). My advice is to look at the prices of the aforementioned lenses and buy one that is affordable. Then get religious and do not covet thy neighbor's wife, or in this case "lens", which I might add is also less dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Orio wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

I have a different take on this. You are going to like whichever one you buy, but as with all our other lenses, we keep looking for better. Think about it, almost every lens people report on gets praise, but each and every one of us still wants to buy another in an endless search for perfection. That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid with my lens collection, but it's hard. I need to keep reminding myself of how happy I am with the ones I have (in any particular focal length). My advice is to look at the prices of the aforementioned lenses and buy one that is affordable. Then get religious and do not covet thy neighbor's wife, or in this case "lens", which I might add is also less dangerous.

Another view is:- quite a few people (maybe many) using search (e.g. google) haven't the time or enough interest to plough through lenses. and just want a quick answer, if we had a godfather or a sorta el supremo who had a massive collection of lenses (and used them), all we would do is ask him/her our question. I'm sure many of us have wanted quick answers on other things, for example:- recently I wanted to know the best trainer shoes for the best price.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

quite a few people (maybe many) using search (e.g. google) haven't the time or enough interest to plough through lenses. and just want a quick answer

Manual focus users that don't have time to search!? Smile

Samyang should be a good answer for them anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
...for example:- recently I wanted to know the best trainer shoes for the best price.

Are those the same as what we call sneakers or tennis shoes? If you had asked that here, you'd have to state what you were using them for; running in place, running away, running slow, fast... Best shoes, best price, and then the implied question of best performance to price ratio. We might consider that here as well. Many lenses were mentioned representing different prices. It still amazes me that the Vivitar 90mm Series 1 (actual 87mm) never gets mentioned, but that's another subject. When I look at lenses like these, I also look at price and really want to know what you were asking about training shoes; what lens will give me the best price/performance, understanding of course that performance, or IQ, will be to my tastes. I'll say right now from what I have seen here that I would go for the Sanyang, simply for price/performance. If cost was not an issue, I'd buy the Planar, but it is, so what I see is Planar is about 2% better (IQ, not build) at three to four times the cost. Obviously Planar is well past the point of diminishing returns.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily the better lens is the lens that is best for someone.

Also "better" can be seen from many points of view.
For instance for me the Biogon 2/35 is the best 35mm lens for rangefinder
because it has zero distortion (for real not as a publicity slogan).
Another person might find it the worst because
it is long and not compact as the Biogon 2.8/35 or the Nokton 1.4/35
And the funny thing is, we both are right.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
...for example:- recently I wanted to know the best trainer shoes for the best price.

Are those the same as what we call sneakers or tennis shoes? If you had asked that here, you'd have to state what you were using them for; running in place, running away, running slow, fast... Best shoes, best price, and then the implied question of best performance to price ratio. We might consider that here as well. Many lenses were mentioned representing different prices. It still amazes me that the Vivitar 90mm Series 1 (actual 87mm) never gets mentioned, but that's another subject. When I look at lenses like these, I also look at price and really want to know what you were asking about training shoes; what lens will give me the best price/performance, understanding of course that performance, or IQ, will be to my tastes. I'll say right now from what I have seen here that I would go for the Sanyang, simply for price/performance. If cost was not an issue, I'd buy the Planar, but it is, so what I see is Planar is about 2% better (IQ, not build) at three to four times the cost. Obviously Planar is well past the point of diminishing returns.

Well OK I chose a poor example mentioning trainers maybe small hi-fi speakers for the home would have been better, but the point I was trying to make was (thinking about Joe public):- We all can't be expert on everything and sometimes you want an answer and you are not interested in all the details, so coming back to photography...... I see so many times on forums questions like "what's the best camera, lens, places to develope film etc etc etc and in fact I ask a similar question recently "what's the best/cheapest S/H digital P&S that still takes AA batteries" and I couldn't give two hoots about digital and just want something to take shots of my equipment Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Not necessarily the better lens is the lens that is best for someone.

Also "better" can be seen from many points of view.
For instance for me the Biogon 2/35 is the best 35mm lens for rangefinder
because it has zero distortion (for real not as a publicity slogan).
Another person might find it the worst because
it is long and not compact as the Biogon 2.8/35 or the Nokton 1.4/35
And the funny thing is, we both are right.

I have to agree with this. Ultimately ones choice becomes subjective and there need not be any rhyme nor reason to subjectivity. If the lens does what your eye sees, then that's the lens for you.

For me, fortunately for my pocket book, that "just right" 35mm is neither the Biogon nor the Nokton, but the Canon FL 35mm f/2.5. Granted, I'm talking SLRs and not rangefinders. Nonetheless, that Canon does exactly what I want and clean examples can still be found for under $50.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to my lens choice I unfortunately do not adopt a very scientific approach because I'm a bit impulsive. But these comparisons do serve a purpose for me a least, so keep them coming. When buying lensese I work on a quite simple rule of thumb:

If it's cheap = I'm maybe pleasently surprised
If it's expensive = I'm expecting to be surprised

More lenses have dropped into the first catagory than the second, strange Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 280,00 eur for an 85/1.4 i can t see how someone (that knows it s a MF lens) can be dissapointed, for ultimate quality, for the more refined eyes, that s another thing. Smile

wide open:

100% crop

Tomas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Samyang 85 f1.4. It's a really good and cheep portre lens, i think. If you don't have enough money for buying AF one this is the best choise. BUT, as i see, Planar takes the lead Wink You can see my Samyng set from flickr. Please feel free to ask and comment.

Cheers!

Serdinç.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srdnckaya/sets/72157633041250267/

last-2 by srdnc, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serdinç: That lens has some wonderful pop. The transition to blur is wonderful. I viewed your other images and the same there - love what that lens produces and nice job on the photos as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Serdinç: That lens has some wonderful pop. The transition to blur is wonderful. I viewed your other images and the same there - love what that lens produces and nice job on the photos as well.

Agreed, one of the best value new lenses around.
Nice images by the way.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I have many great portrait lens but still want Samyang and I will buy it for sure, reason is excellent lens , not worst than any $$$ even 5000 USD Leica range , additional reason is if a maker produce stunning lens so cheap and make available to mass to enjoy stunning quality I have to support it and spread it for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of cheap....Shocked

Apparently Adorama.com is now selling Vivitar 85mm f/1.4 (Nikon & Canon Mount) for $124.95 - free shipping (USA)

Maybe they just dropped the price on these to blow out their inventory? Great price though! I can't imagine these being available for long at that price.

I just bought three. Once I resell two of them for closer to the going rate, that will make the third one free for me. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for hint!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 03, 2016 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total