Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 v Samyang 85/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me offer some caution. I noticed that Adorama ads on Google and Amazon say f/1.8, but when you click it takes you to th f/1.4 lens. Better to check and confirm it's really the f/1.4 they're selling.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f1.8 not exists, question only which version first or second and what is sharper, I don't remember one has smoother bokeh, but less sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
significantimagery wrote:
Speaking of cheap....Shocked

Apparently Adorama.com is now selling Vivitar 85mm f/1.4 (Nikon & Canon Mount) for $124.95 - free shipping (USA)

Maybe they just dropped the price on these to blow out their inventory? Great price though! I can't imagine these being available for long at that price.

I just bought three. Once I resell two of them for closer to the going rate, that will make the third one free for me. Wink

is that the same optics?

It should be the early non-UMC version.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out about this because they listed a couple on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370946244170

I checked their website after that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Let me offer some caution. I noticed that Adorama ads on Google and Amazon say f/1.8, but when you click it takes you to th f/1.4 lens. Better to check and confirm it's really the f/1.4 they're selling.

Thanks- I see what you mean...maybe they are selling off all the "old" 1.4 lenses to make way for the new 1.8?

Both of my invoices say "1.4" so we'll see if they send what they advertised and what I thought I bought Wink

Here's a video that shows both of these lenses - f/1.4 and f/1.8 :
Check out this youtube video comparison

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like they messed up pretty badly in one way or another. Rolling Eyes

If they send out 1.8 lenses to buyers I'm sure they will have to deal with many returns and refunds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Serdinç: That lens has some wonderful pop. The transition to blur is wonderful. I viewed your other images and the same there - love what that lens produces and nice job on the photos as well.

Agreed, one of the best value new lenses around.
Nice images by the way.
OH

Thank you all of you liked my photos. I've found this site very helpful. Thank yuo guys! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
f1.8 not exists, question only which version first or second and what is sharper, I don't remember one has smoother bokeh, but less sharp.

1.8 seems to exist under the Vivitar brand name. And the price is near the same to Adorama's 1.4:
http://www.amazon.com/Vivitar-Lens-85mm-CANON-V-85MM-C/dp/B00E9NTFB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384850188&sr=8-2&keywords=vivitar+85+1.8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Rokinon 85/1.4 on ebay are with focus confirm chips. The cheap adorama vivitar are unchipped.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is indeed a vivitar/opteka etc gen brand looking 85mm f1.8 'portrait lens' with 55mm floating around. I surprised there was no big announcement, I wonder who made this one.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/eos-manual-lenses/discuss/72157633268492486/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.8 version has been around for at least a year now (there are a number of shots taken with it posted on flickr), but I guess it's been off everyone's radar because there was no big announcement.

I bought a copy of the Vivitar 1.4 from Adorama last night and decided to call this morning to confirm the lens I bought is actually 1.4, not 1.8. The guy at Adorama checked the Vivtar site against the model number of the item I bought and according to him, this IS the 1.4 version. As was pointed out, this does look to be the non-chipped version, but that is not an issue for me. I like that the lens has a 5-year warranty.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds promising! But....it still seems like they mixed up the sku #'s from what I have searched though.

From Google searches
VIV85MMC & VIV85MMN seems to be the f/1.4
VVV85MMC & VVV85MMN seems to be the f/1.8

I just received notification that my mystery lenses have shipped from Adorama. We shall see!

So which lens will actually show up?

...the suspense begins! Place your bets now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the Adorama representative checked when I was on the phone. He compared the item code of the lens I bought (listed above) against the Vivitar website product code. He read the code off to me and said it was f1.4.

Since I'm in California, the farthest place in the Continental US that they can send it, hopefully one of you will get your copy sooner and let us know what aperture lens this really is. That way, I won't have to open the package if I need to return it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:

This is what the Adorama representative checked when I was on the phone. He compared the item code of the lens I bought (listed above) against the Vivitar website product code. He read the code off to me and said it was f1.4.

Since I'm in California, the farthest place in the Continental US that they can send it, hopefully one of you will get your copy sooner and let us know what aperture lens this really is. That way, I won't have to open the package if I need to return it. Very Happy

But the product code says VVV on their website. Ut oh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the link from their website to my brother, who then bought one, but by then was on backorder. He just notified me that the same link now indicates a f/1.8 lens. I say again, ut oh. I'm thinking these will not be the f/1.4 and they've created a mess with many orders. I could be wrong, but I don't see an outfit like that making good on a mistake of that size. Anyone want an 85/1.8?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I sent the link from their website to my brother, who then bought one, but by then was on backorder. He just notified me that the same link now indicates a f/1.8 lens. I say again, ut oh. I'm thinking these will not be the f/1.4 and they've created a mess with many orders. I could be wrong, but I don't see an outfit like that making good on a mistake of that size. Anyone want an 85/1.8?

When I click on the Adorama email confirmation link to the lens I bought, though the link says 1.4, the lens displayed is the 1.8 lens, so you very probably are correct. I called Adorama again and they said that if the lens is 1.8 they will pay for return shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Looks like your "ut oh" is confirmed. I called Adorama yet again and this time when I spoke with the CS representative they said that "they just received notice that there was an issue with the manufacturer and that these are actually f1.8 lenses." You called it, Woodrim. Adorama would not stop the package in transit and I will need to return the lens after I get it. I asked about refusing delivery and I was told not to do that. I still think people should open their packages to confirm, but at this point it is highly unlikely anyone actually will get an 85mm f1.4 Vivitar lens from Adorama.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More confirmation from Adorama http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1315669/m18114258/#m18114258

I wonder how many of those they sold ...and how many will be returned for a refund.

Both pages on their site still need to be updated because they are a horrible mix of conflicting information - some data about the 1.4 and some about the 1.8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my f/1.8 lenses. Neutral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that expression? If it seems too good to be true...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I guess sometimes you just don't know without taking a chance though.

Of course...I had no idea about their mix-up until after purchasing.

Honestly, the f/1.8 is probably a very good, compact, light-weight 85mm lens for the price point.

...assuming it doesn't break too soon from cheap parts Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...assuming it doesn't break too soon from cheap parts Wink

I was reading a blog somewhere the other day that said just that, the aperture ring disconnected and just spun around the lens, the aperture was stuck wide open.
I really hope that doesn't happen to you. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot, I dunno about a blog, but I just read that same review that was actually posted at Adorama.com. It was the only review on that lens.

But I did look at its specs, and if it holds together, it should be a decent optic I think. Aspherical lens, internal focus, 8-bladed aperture diaphragm. So it should have well controlled optical aberrations, will focus easily since it's IF, and the 8-bladed aperture iris should result in nice round bokeh from out of focus highlights.

So, significantimagery, are you gonna keep your lens and give it a workout, or return it?

Honestly, if I would have seen an 85/1.4 offered for $125, I would have suspected something foul. Whereas an f/1.8 for $125 becomes a good deal. Sort of in line with many of Samyang's offerings. And I wonder, is this lens made by Samyang? Sounds about right, if it is.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Scot, I dunno about a blog, but I just read that same review that was actually posted at Adorama.com. It was the only review on that lens.

Yeah that must have been where I read it, I got mixed up there. Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same F1.8 lens as discuss on the other thread.
http://forum.mflenses.com/new-cheap-chinese-opteka-85-1-8-t62887.html