Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm Leica R Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ikoflexer.
I'm sorry to have contributed to awake the monster... Embarassed

Waiting for your feedback and pictures ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I will get back to you guys with impressions and samples when the lens arrives.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens arrived, before the adapter, so I had to exercise my patience until the adapter arrived today. It so happens that it's a beautiful day in Toronto so I'll try to go out at lunch and do some tests.

Below, a few shots in the office. Didn't adjust the colours. Not the sharpest lens, but it has a way of rendering the colours, that's for sure. Somehow thick, saturated.

100% crop

Link to full size image 1

Link to full size image 2

Link to full size image 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I just got one of its ancestors: http://forum.mflenses.com/angenieux-t22002.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikoflexer, I got best results shooting with my 40D in M mode.

I took some shots this morning as there was a beautiful landscape under "strange" weather on the channel.

I come back to show you in a minute. Wink
Here I go : all shots with the Angenieux 35-70mm f2.5-3.5.

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

Last edited by Olivier on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Carsten! Are you going to post some samples?

Olivier, very nice rainbow. If you live there, you're blessed. The 40D is a new camera for me, also first DSLR. So far I've been using M for flash pictures and Av for the rest, but sometimes Av doesn't really get it right. I need to play more with the settings.

Now, the bad and ugly about this Angenieux zoom. Have a look at this boring street shot.

300% crop of portion of interest. See the white paper glow?

How about the good. Another quick grab shot. We had one of those rare November warm days, with temperatures of 19C, and saw this girl barefoot. Something I find interesting about the lens is the "not-sharp-yet-looks-sharp" character. For instance this image, doesn't look super sharp.

But look at the well defined outline in the 200% crop below.

Another thing about this lens is how it renders colours in a very intense way.

Here are some more samples from my lunch break outing. Some of these images have been cropped and the contrast adjusted in picasa.

As soon as I got out of the building, this guy appeared out of nowhere on a bike, wearing this constrasty black and red jacket. I had to be quick to catch a shot.

Testing the bokeh.

Not testing anything here, just liked the shot.

I like these colours.

Thanks for your attention guys.

Henry, thank you for posting about this lens, because it was the first I heard about it, and liked the samples you posted. I like the lens, it's a keeper for me. In no way it bothers me that it's not super-sharp, in fact I kind of like that because I hope it will render nice portraits. I am not very fond of portraits where one can see every pore.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Iko for those samples.
About the rainbow's place, yes I live here and sure I'm blessed. Very Happy
Be blessed too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Olivier,

nice to see some new images from you. Fine landscapes and a great lens.
The rainbow looks spectacular.
Everything under control ?
Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ikoflexer

The organ pipes are my faves. Great capture ! Congrats.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results indeed!! Congrats!

Still not sure why no-one seems to be interested in mine I have for sale (I'm simply not a zoom guy...) Question

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Great results indeed!! Congrats!

Still not sure why no-one seems to be interested in mine I have for sale (I'm simply not a zoom guy...) Question

Have you ever stated a price, Klaus?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikoflexer wrote:

Henry, thank you for posting about this lens, because it was the first I heard about it, and liked the samples you posted. I like the lens, it's a keeper for me. In no way it bothers me that it's not super-sharp, in fact I kind of like that because I hope it will render nice portraits. I am not very fond of portraits where one can see every pore.

Hi Ikoflexer,

the behavior under heavy sunlight conditions is complex. In daylight situations its nearly impossible to use such an old lens wide open on f2.5/35mm mode. As i described some posts before, take of the UV Glass, take a shutter speed which is -2/3 as the metering say and use the cam in M-Mode, because most of the Canons are not correct in metering with MF Lenses faster than 2.8.

Thats one of the reasons, why i all the time use the M-Mode. Take a tripod, meter for example with an f/1.4 or f/1.8 MF lens and write down the time results for each f/stop. You will be very surprised about the wrong metering.

Under heavy sunlight conditions, the Angenieux has got small fringes/glowing effects on f/2.5 on white surfaces especially in a 300% crop, thats clear. Thats the same on 1.4 to step 1.8 Lenses. So you have to avoid this situations by taking a 1/3 f/stop to lets say f/2.8 and you will see, these are gone.

You stated, the Angenieux doesnt look sharp at the first moment.... but believe me, the lens is.

It tooks me a lot of time to find out the behavior of the lens. So you will see, after a little practise for some days intensively and exclusive with this lens, you will understand to work with this lens.

Here are some further images, taken on greek island SIFNOS during a vacation trip in May.. most of them f/4-5.6 under strong sunlight conditions.

First the images in total, after the crop/s, FF EOS 5D

Try to shoot some days only with this lens on your cam. On my visit to
SIFNOS did use the lens very much and learned the behavior under different conditions. Such old lenses (my copy is from 1984 i think) are totally different from what we are familiar with new constructions.

But as you already stated, one of the points, why i love this lens, is the unbelievable colorrendition and contrast. It brings back a bit air of the old slides i own and love. Its more a matter of taste, what kind of character you search in a lens. And my conclusion is, i love this lens after a short period of getting familiar with the Angenieux.

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pictures show both, Henry, that this is a crappy lens and that you are a bad photographer.
And my text shows that I am totally envious. Wink Laughing

Seriously now: Fantastic results, Henry!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Your pictures show both, Henry, that this is a crappy lens and that you are a bad photographer.
And my text shows that I am totally envious. Wink Laughing

Seriously now: Fantastic results, Henry!!

Hi Carsten,

what makes you envious? Now you have your own copy of an Angenieux formula in addition with an AF System. Let us see, who the modern Tokina performs agaist an older Angenieux MF Lens. Could be very interesting to see that. Some days before i talked with Olivier about the origninal Angenieux 2.6-3.?/28-70mm.

But the seller, Olivier ask him for me, already did sell the lens.
Maybe this would be a very interesting thing, to compair the old Angenieux MF Zoom-Lens with a copy from Tokina, which should use the same formula.

Please show us more results of your Tokina/Angenieux Copy. Maybe this is as good or better than the old Angenieuxs..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was joking, Henry.And I apologize if the joke was not good.

I am really glad to have the Angenieux/Tokina.

And still, your lens has all the right to be a reason for envy. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the Tokina...
Is this this one ?
http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/67447038.htm?ca=17_s

or this one ?
http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/43961824.htm?ca=17_s

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second one. But there were several versions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all,

on the barrel of this lens, there is a marking stating "macro 1:5.6". Can I assume that there is really no 'macro' mode for this lens and the marking is just for 'show'? If I am wrong, then would someone please show me how to enable the macro mode.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO there is no special macro mode you can enable. The engraving means only, the minimal focus lenght is similar to that, depending on the zoomfactor.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please Henry, check PM. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One from yesterday, no sharpening applied. Thanks for the advice Henri.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
IMHO there is no special macro mode you can enable. The engraving means only, the minimal focus lenght is similar to that, depending on the zoomfactor.

Cheers
Henry

thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

You enter directly in Macro mode by turning the focus ring, without having anything else to do.

This is much more proxyphoto than real macro, but it's nice. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikoflexer wrote:
One from yesterday, no sharpening applied. Thanks for the advice Henri.

You got it..

Nice color-rendition.. Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:

You got it..
Nice color-rendition.. Very Happy
Cheers
Henry

Thanks! And BTW, it's much sharper than it shows in the forum. It's my new desktop image, in fact Very Happy