Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm Leica R Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Olivier,

i take PROMPT online translator to translate the french comments from
"papounet"..

As far as i understand with this translation he firstly explains the mft curves and the way you can measure them.

After then he discusses the 28-70mm Angenieux with others.
And his conclusion is, the modern lenses are sometimes better.

In my opinion, this is a question, what a lens should do for me.
Its a matter of taste and we cant discuss this in terms of MFT curves,
testcharts for Lines/per mm etc.. but this is nothing you can use for your shoots. I have got a lot of modern lenses which are sharp and great, for example the Canon EF 4/70-200 L, sharp as a knife wide open.
The Angenieux can do this also at f/4 no question. The Canon is sharp without distinctive charakter.. only sharp.

I have both, but if i have the time to take my shots, i would prefer my old Angenieux without the modern AF drive.. it brings lot more character in the images. And prime notch lenses from older days can do so much more for you than only beeing sharp. A friend of mine did a comparison between a 600 Euro SIGMA Lens and an old leica Elmarit 135 or so.. same focuspoint, etc.. The old Leica was the winner in Terms of richness of detail at all apertures.. thats all. Sharp are both.. but in terms of contrast, detailreendering and colorreedering, the Leica did the better job for him.

Cheers
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the Nikon mounted Angenieux 35-70mm f2.3-3.5.

Thanks for all Hinnerker.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really you did buy one? Great !
Congrats for your decision and this very nice lens !!!

If i travel to france next year, now i know where i have to drink a good bottle of the nice french red wine ... as my provision... Very Happy

Hope your copy will be in a good shape. Let us know your impressions on that lens too.

Cheers
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one too, in Pentax K mount in that nice box etc - just to see
how it performs, not intended to keep it though, but what I read here
just watered my mouth - you're guilty Hinnerker!!

The verdict:

@Olivier: Congrats!! I eyed that one in Nikon mount too, but the price
distracted me a bit...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
<<<<<Impressive>>>>>>>

Angenieux itself declared in the flyer from the 80's the mechanical tolerances are 1/2000mm !!!

The Multicoating contains 56! layer

For those of you who are interested in this lens, here the flyer with the
technical description from Angenieux.

Sorry, but only in german language..

[/url]
[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20099/big_1806_flyer2_1.jpg]

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20099/big_1806_flyer3_1.jpg][/url]

cheers
Hinnerker

Hinnerker,

a number of questions:
1. what is the filter size of this lens, it is not too clear from your capture above.
2. the large lens hood is missing from my set; would you recommend a good replacement for it
3. Furthermore, what would be a good replacement lens hood(ie. one that would replace the two originally supplied hoods)

Thanks for your time
cheers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found the answer to my 1st question - filter size is 58mm

still looking for recommendation for question 2 and 3.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheve wrote:
found the answer to my 1st question - filter size is 58mm

still looking for recommendation for question 2 and 3.

Cheers

Hello

cant recommand a good replacement for that, because i have both hoods, the round and the rectangular.
But the hoods are simple bulls**t. As i wrote, the attachment of the lens is poor, and the fall down somewhere you not notice.
So i decided to glue the rectangular hood on the tubus. This works fine for me and there are no vignettings in the images, as far as i can see on a FF EOS 5D.

In the case of reselling this lens, its easy to take away this hood, there are 3 miniature screws on the front (you can see them). If you unsrew this, the ring for filters comes out of the tubus. So you can clean the ring from the glue marks and thats it. This hoods are the real weakness of the Angenieux. I think thats the reason, why you seldom can find a completed set of round and rectangular hoods in the case. Mostly one of them is lost. Very Happy

But i think each hood with for a diameter of 58mm would do it for you. Take a screw in type for 35mm for the wide end. For the longer end it is not neccessary to take another, because the frontlens-group is deeply enough in the tubus. Try it. I do it in that way.

congrats also to cheve for getting such a nice lens. Let us hear your opininons and the results you shot.

cheers
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hinnerker,

As it turns out, my set only come with the round hood, filter and rear cap - I do not have the case nor the front cap. Anyway, so it sounds like the round hood is for the wide end and one does not really need the hood for the tele-end; that is good news for me.

I will give this lens a good workout(and hopefully my skill is good enough for the lens) and report back Very Happy

thanks for your time
Cheers

PS: my copy was made in 1984-1985(s/n# 1499xxx). Size wise, it is a bit longer than my c/y 35-70/3.4; but weight more or less the same

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

There are two of the quick snaps with my copy of the 35-70

iso 100, 1/400, ~f3, on a Canon 350D

Below are two of the crops
crop 1 at 100%

crop 2 at 100%

iso 100, 1/800, f2.5, 350D

100% crop 3

100% crop 4

I am a bit disappointed - I was expecting a better outcome. Would it be an issue with my copy? Ok, I know I should not just point the cam anywhere without thinking, but then sometime you just have to. Please advice. If the lens is defective(ie. performs worst than one would expected); then I think I can return it to the seller . If it is operator error, I can accept that too. Now, I have been playing with the cv125 lately, so may be I am also spoiled Embarassed .

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheve,
Your sun is too harsh, try shooting in diffused light/shadows, afterall its a 2.3-3.5.

Shoot a flower to test, under a tree. Get close-up and zoom-in for bokeh!
Shoot portrait same way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
cheve,
Your sun is too harsh, try shooting in diffused light/shadows, afterall its a 2.3-3.5.

Shoot a flower to test, under a tree. Get close-up and zoom-in for bokeh!

Thats right, not in heavy sunlight with this lens for the beginning.
Another hint is, to take a shutter release that is faster -2/3 stopps then the measuring your crop cam. Dont use the AV mode for that. Do it all in M-Mode and play around with the shutter release. The crop cams especially from Canon measure wrong in this mode with lenses faster then 2.8. The overexposure in the way you show in your images.
Try to find out, how much faster you have to set the shutter speed.
You have to correct the time..

Do you have the normal screen in your Cam or a split focus?
Show me some other pictures stopped down 1/3 or 2/3 aperture values!
Is the lens aible to reach infinity on your adapter?

And you will need time to find the different behavior of the lens.
For the beginning to find out what i say, its better to do not quick and dirty shots as you normally do with a new lens. As i wrote, it takes some days to become familiar with the Lens and the optical behavior.

Take the lens first in shadow situations to see, if your copy is in a good shape or not.

Greetz
Hinnerker

Last edited by hinnerker on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us go step by step to verify if the lens works correct or not.

Please answer the following questions.

Did you correct the exposure meter in the way i showed in the post above?
Do you have a microprismen or split screen to focus correctly?
Did you unscrew the slimeline UV Filter in front of the lens?
Is the lens able to reach the infinity point and is the focus correct or
can you focus behind infinity?

To answer this questions is important to find out if your copy works correct or not.

For a uncorrected wide open image in heavy sunlight this is normal i think.

At the wide angel end, open aperture.. EOS 5D FF

and the crop from reflecting surfaces at the windows.

This is a normally behavior of a 2.5 lens in this situations. you will find this also on most of my 2.8 Leica lenses.

Cheers
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received it today. It was really fast delivery !

Firts impression : well built and solid.
The lens is in very good condition, but came without the hoods...

There is the front filter. Is this a neutral glass for protection ?
Hinnerker, would you advice to let it mounted or to dismount it ?

Unfortunately, I can't test it because I have no Nikon to Eos adapter at this very moment.
I have to wait...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I received it today. It was really fast delivery !

Firts impression : well built and solid.
The lens is in very good condition, but came without the hoods...

There is the front filter. Is this a neutral glass for protection ?
Hinnerker, would you advice to let it mounted or to dismount it ?

Unfortunately, I can't test it because I have no Nikon to Eos adapter at this very moment.
I have to wait...

My filter is broken two days after receiving the lens by unscrewing and let them fall to ground. Since that i shot without
a protectiv glass in the front? You dont need this. Its better to look around for a metal hood for the wide position. The glas is only for protection but a solid lens hood can do this better four you.

Unscrew the filterglas.. you dont really need it. Use a hood in daylight. See cheve images. That could happen working without hood and with the protective glas in front, this amplifies this blue blooming when overexposure. Take you time to try the lens in normal Situations. Underexposure 2/3 in M-Mode.. i work only in the M-Mode, because the AV Mode on a Canon cam gives me wrong results, especially at wide open apertures.
So i fixed it that way that i use 2 or 3 steps faster than the exposure meter shows me the correct time. Thats one of the important things with this glas. Its nearly the same as working with very fast lenses like a 1.4 or a 1.2. Shot with a faster shutter release, without the frontglas and not wide open in strong sunlight. All these hints are important to avoid this heavy blooming you can see in CHEVEs images.
To play around with the correct shutter release is very important for this lens. Take the time to get familiar with the neccessary shutter speed compensations for the results of the exposure meter. Thats the key for that lens.

As you can see in my avatar, i hold the EOS 5D with the Angenieux Lens in hands and shot about 80 % of my holliday images in really heavy sunlight on a greek island. But you need the hood, must exposure faster then normal and without the glas in front

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for these "operational instructions". Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker,

thanks for the pointer. My shots were taken in M-mode, so indeed it was 90% operator error(do not want to admit 100% - otherwise that would mean I am really bad at it). Will take more snaps again:-).

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone interested in a Pentax K version of that great lens?
In original box (inner + outer), sunshade, rear cap, protective
bag, special recessed UV filter...

Well I should have studied more carefully which mount I
can get adapted to my Nikon and what a bummer that I
can't use that fine glass on them, so I have to let it go!! Sad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hinnerker,
Some samples from my model in Nikon mount. Smile

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

Others to see in the galleries.

I'm really fond of this lens.
Thanks again, Henry for letting me discover it. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, my!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Hinnerker,
Some samples from my model in Nikon mount. Smile

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

Others to see in the galleries.

I'm really fond of this lens.
Thanks again, Henry for letting me discover it. Smile

WHOOW..

Olivier,

thats are really nice samples, showing what top notch lenses from "older days" is aible to do/can also do today for the photographers life.

It seemed that you get a very, very good copy of that lens and you are on the way to become a master of this lens.

No. 1, 3 and 5 are great..
With this lens, you really discover a hidden gem..

Congrats for this superb lens.. i am happy to see, that are other people which can confirm my opinion of that beautiful french lens.
If there is a lens, which is near the class of a Leica Lens, then you will find it on Angenieux....

Hinnerker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Henri. Smile

I really feel at ease with this lens. It works very fluidly and I manage to get in focus very often.
I think that the adapter quality is also very important, and I sure have a good one (thank you Alex).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my first post here, so I'm saying hello too.

There's been a gap in my photo life for a while, time in which my RTSII went to a guy in Italy, my Helios 40-2 to a fellow in Denmark, or it could be Sweden, I don't remember (they both got good deals), and time in which my M3+lenses has been gathering dust. The only camera I still used was an old 5 mega pixels Sony DSC-V1 (which still beats all of my friends 10MP mini-wonders), but which sadly, bit the dust recently when it no longer recognized the memory stick. And this event awakened the monster again, and it made me look for some other camera, resulting in me getting a Canon 40D, which rightfully asked for some lenses. I still had some lenses from my old habit, what I didn't manage to find time to sell. A Jupiter-9, a Prakticar zoom that came with an MTL5 that I got for $20, a Volna-3 from a Kiev 6 set... and some other which were all crying in the cupboard from not being used, and which now got excited about the respective adapters to the Canon EF mount that are on the way.

But the monster was still hungry and asked for more, so it got unleashed once more on ebay where some easy targets soon fell victims to the ravenous appetite. A Helios 44-2, then another Helios 44-2, a couple of Pentacon normal lenses, all between $0.99 and $25.

And so somehow I came across this thread. And the sample images from this Angenieux lens made the monster very hungry. How it all gets somehow aligned is unknown to mere mortals like me, but there was this Angenieux zoom 35-70 for sale you know where, for the price of $799; this included a functioning Leica R4S body. As much as I'd like to say this wasn't an impulse buy, the issue is probably more subtle than I'd like to think.

Long story made short, I'm anxiously waiting for the lens to arrive, while browsing this forum for more inspiring images made with the Angenieux zoom. The R4S will probably find another home.

Thanks for listening and sorry about the long post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome ikoflexer
congrats for your new Angenieux
don't forget to show us some samples with your lenses[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikoflexer, Welcome here in that Forum.

Congrats for your purchase of the Angenieux. I am sure, you will like this Lens.

Let us see and hear your comments about this lens.

Cheers
Henry