Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm Leica R Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikoflexer wrote:
hinnerker wrote:

You got it..
Nice color-rendition.. Very Happy
Cheers
Henry

Thanks! And BTW, it's much sharper than it shows in the forum. It's my new desktop image, in fact Very Happy

Hello Ikoflexer..

i know this, and thats the reason why i show sometimes 100% Crops out of the total images.. Laughing

Don't know which Cam you use, but the Angenieux is able to deliver that IQ on an EOS FF 5D MKI also and better on a MKII.
For me its one of the most interesting zoom lenses from older days, as i already stated.

Exact that what you and others did post, is what i did see in the lens.

First impressioon, Not as sharp as expected in the first moment. Not as sharp as modern lenses, which are developed to be sharp, but sharp with his own distinguished character in higher resolution...

But if you view this images in higher resolution, the are sharp and what i feel more important to only terms of sharpness, the color rendition and high definition of the sujet, if the focus is right and the lens is used in the way you should do that with old formulas, is superb.

It takes a bit of time to understand the way, the lens do work. But after a bit of time for understanding, it works great for you an fullfill all your needs. Its simple different to modern formulars and the understanding of the use. All of you show us this in impressiv ways, how you can do this right or wrong.

For me, this old piece of french glas, is extraordinar and has its own value to bring it in the modern times. Bringing back a bit of the ambience of LEICA and Angenieux in our minds, the "Air" in the images, which often seen in films, this lens is able to capture this in the modern world of DSLR's

Never forget such legends and the air, which Leica and also the french developers of such Legends brought and brings in the world of photography.

For me, its to simple to say only CZJ, Zeiss - Oberkochen and Leica are the leaders in MF Lenses. There are more, the french ANGENIEUX was part of all this. They developed the retrofocus zooms in a very, very good way. And also the new ones, like the Samiyangs, are learnig about in this manner of understanding this.

Thats also the reason, why i love this french lenses. They are extraordinary, good and extends my photographic view in terms of "character" in an image.

I could buy each modern glas you like, but i would never found lenses, which brings the "character" in my images like Leica, Angenieux or Zeiss sometime.

That's the reason, why i did start the thread for this zoom.

First i thought, what would happen, if some of the colleagues wants to own an Angenieux and maybe are not satiesfied with the Lens?

I did feel guilty after the first reports of Cheve, who was first not able to understand the needs of this lens, or the same as KLAUS wrote, he wants to sell his lens again, but only did make a mistake in the abilitiy to convert the lens for his Cam-Body.

But after discussing all the facts and results in this forum, i am on an optimistic way, that some of you can subscribe me opinions of what do see in this superb lens.

Hope we becoming more friends of that wonderful lens, from a great developer and manufacturer.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that the Angenieux-Tokina renders images much like my Leica lenses, as far as colours (lower red) and bokeh are concernerd.
Can you confirm, Henry? Is there more than just the shared mount?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

I have another question for this lens.

What is the max f-stop at the 50mm mark? Is there any document stating what that should be? We know it is 2.5 and 3.3 for 35 and 70mm respectively, would we say it is about 3.0 at 50mm?

I am stilling learning how to use this lens properly. My initial concern was that the copy I got may be bad. After seeing posting of a 'bad' sample from ikoflexer, I am feeling more comfortable with my copy:-).

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheve wrote:
All,

I have another question for this lens.

What is the max f-stop at the 50mm mark? Is there any document stating what that should be? We know it is 2.5 and 3.3 for 35 and 70mm respectively, would we say it is about 3.0 at 50mm?

I am stilling learning how to use this lens properly. My initial concern was that the copy I got may be bad. After seeing posting of a 'bad' sample from ikoflexer, I am feeling more comfortable with my copy:-).

Cheers,

As far as i understand the manual, the Angenieux works in 35mm, 50mm and 70mm mode and the lens has the corresponding f/stops 2.5/2.8/3.3
depending from the extension length.

If you work with the lens at 35mm, you can use 1/3 stops to bring the aperture ring of lens to 2.8 and 3.3 (the 1/3 stopps before the f/4 engraving).
In 50mm Mode, the lens should have in term of her extension length 2.8 and offers you the 3.3 click.

In the 70mm mode its because of the extension length a 3.3 and in my copy it makes no difference in metering on the last 1/3 Stop close to f/4.

Cheers
Henry

Another hint.. the 50mm engraving is not correct 50mm compaired with my Summilux 1.4/50mm and some other 50mm lenses. You reach the correct reproduction scale at 53-or 55mm on the engraving.
Can you confirm this?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I have seen that the Angenieux-Tokina renders images much like my Leica lenses, as far as colours (lower red) and bokeh are concernerd.
Can you confirm, Henry? Is there more than just the shared mount?

Sorry Carsten, dont understand the question correct..

The Angenieux is very close to the Leica lenses in terms of Color-rendition.
Also the multi coating shimmer seemed to be identical on the Angenieux.
Its the same purple color as you can find for example on the Elmarit 2.8/90 and near most of the Leica lenses. So it could be, that Leica did share the multicoating with Angenieux.. but i dont know that.

And how the Tokina / Angenieux was made, i dont know, cause i never hold one of this Angenieux/Tokinas in Hand. But i would be very interested to compair this lens with the colors and sharpness with my Angenieux. Thats one of the reasons, why i ask Olivier, to help me looking to an old 28-70mm. But this must wait, first its christmas and i try to reach the EOS 5D MKII.

But maybe, after a while, we can interchange the lenses for making us our own meaning of the Angenieux/Tokina realisation of this formula, maybe in the next year.

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:31 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:

The Angenieux is very close to the Leica lenses in terms of Color-rendition.

That's exactly what I meant, Henry.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing hinnerker!
I also do think that the pics have a nice 3d-look, especially for a zoom lens. Nice one!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After buying my new EOS 5D MKII i will make an update to show the IQ of that lens on a 21 Mio. Pixel sensor..

Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm...

And a 100% crop...

Seemed that the lens brings lot more details on the new sensor too.

So this lens give great color rendition, nice bokeh and should be a very good lens for cinema - work with the HD video function of the 5D MKII.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!! Shocked

Thank you Henry for showing these great results.
I was wondering wether it would really be an improvement (technical, pleasure and emotional) to go for the 5D MkII from the 40D.
And I was wondering wether my old lenses would fit the 5D MkII well.

You clearly prove yes ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Wow' is really the only word that comes to my mind too. The detail of that 100% crop is hard to believe. I wonder how different this picture would look like with the 12MB D700. Does anybody here have this combination?

Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the new camera Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
After buying my new EOS 5D MKII i will make an update to show the IQ of that lens on a 21 Mio. Pixel sensor..
And a 100% crop...

Henry

Henry,

This is fantastic, and gorgeous bokeh...

What a combination Shocked

Lucky man. Bravo,

Xavier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madamasu wrote:
'The detail of that 100% crop is hard to believe.

Indeed. And it's perfectly focused! Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, I think you told us about Angenieux 28-70 f2.6.

I found a site with shots taken with it on a Fuji S3Pro :
http://www.breizh-images.fr/
http://www.breizh-images.fr/galerie.php

Another site of his : http://www.le-priol.fr/galeries/index.php?categorie=3

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPRING, time for some macro shootings with the Angenieux...

Some months ago i did buy a Leica R extension tube from KDS315..

I decide to use this piece on my 5D MKII and the Angenieux.. thats the motiv..

And this image is taken with the Leica R ext. tube..

For insects, the focusing distance is to short for the extension tube.. so i decided to take the Angenieux without the tube.. and crop instead of..

Here are the results.. a lovely bumble bee

The Angenieux seemed to be a good Macro alternative too... Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, Henry ! Very Happy

and the 70-210mm is even better as it is able to come closer.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to see how my lenses look on a ff sensor, my wife will kill me...

You are doing something wrong with her... Very Happy

My 5D MKII was a christmas gift... from her to me.. Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahah, We got a lot to learn from Henry Laughing Keep them coming!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

hi henry

nice pics and post. it was because of this thread that had me searching the globe for this angenieux (mint of course)

not yet made the purchase but henry could you advise on the video image quality of this lens on a 5d mark ii.

I am mainly a filmmaker and was wondering if this is the zoom lens ive been waiting for Smile

this is open to all as well, do let me know if you guys have video samples with the 5d mark ii.

hugs
zal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmmm Reply with quote

zalq wrote:
hi henry

nice pics and post. it was because of this thread that had me searching the globe for this angenieux (mint of course)

not yet made the purchase but henry could you advise on the video image quality of this lens on a 5d mark ii.

I am mainly a filmmaker and was wondering if this is the zoom lens ive been waiting for Smile

this is open to all as well, do let me know if you guys have video samples with the 5d mark ii.

hugs
zal

Hi Zal,

if i find the time in the future, thats one of my favourit things to do with the 5D MKII and the Angenieux. But since some weeks i am busy with my new home. Maybe in the next 3 or 4 weeks i will start with my first video.
If its ready i will post a link to VIMEO..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: hiya Reply with quote

all righty then

thanks!

zal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: oh no Reply with quote

hi henry!

things have become quite hectic man!

a "personal" investor has decided to buy me lens!!! so its either a lens set of 4-5 takumars or the beloved angenieux 35-70

henry help!!

need your review on 5d mark ii video with the angenieux. sorry to rush but DROP everything and do the review!!! Smile

im just kidding but the investor thing is true though. lol

hugs
zal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Angenieux 35-70 on Sony a850 Reply with quote

I have recently aquired an M42 version of this lens from Poland I have struggled with::
A jammed aperture
A poorly made M42 adapter at the back that had 1) inadequate screw thread and 2) no light baffling around the rear element. The latter caused awfull veing flare due to reflections off the camera sensor.
One aperture overhaul at the repair shop and some nifty engineering of a Sony mount (2 -3 days hard grind) and I finally have a fully working Angenieux.

Hate turned to love quickly. Wow what a golden creamy sharp beauty this lens is::

Malcolm in New Zealand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new ones.
Click on pics to open in wider format with better resolution.

Sand protection

Looking for a boat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: And more Angeniuex 37-70 images ---- Reply with quote

Cannot get over the wonderful detail and colour from of this lens. It pulls all the colour detail out of the scene.