Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Alternatives to DKL adapters?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Alternatives to DKL adapters? Reply with quote

I'm attracted to some of the less popular lens mounts, and wonder which I can use on my Pentax K20D. I see some DKL lenses, Voigtlander and Kodak and Schneider, at attractive prices on eBay. Then I look at the adapters. DKL-M42 starts at around US$65, and DKL-PK are even more. I find it hard to justify an expensive adapter for inexpensive lenses. Does anyone here know of CHEAP DKL-Pentax adapters, or how to put such together from spare parts? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex (hk300) was making them a year or so back, and his price was decent. Don't know if he's in the loop at the moment.
Luis knocked up a homebrew one a couple of years ago - did work well enough, I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is a path I've been down myself.

The reality is that there aren't a lot of other 35mm SLR mounts that can be successfully adapted (preserving infinity focus) to the M42 or PK system. The DKL lenses may represent the richest opportunity.

It's important to remember that the DKL adapters incorporate a mechanism for changing the lens aperture, so it's not really surprising that they're more expensive than some of the simpler adapters. I was able to rationalize the purchase of the adapter by thinking of it in terms of a commitment to the DKL lenses. If you're going to buy only one or two DKL lenses, the adapter may not make financial sense. If you're going to buy more of them, then you're "amortizing" the cost of the adapter over a greater number of lenses, and that may be a more attractive prospect.

I've seen occasional posts suggesting that it might be possible to cobble together a homemade DKL adapter, using the salvaged mount from a parts camera, but that seems, to me at least, to be more trouble than it's worth - and not terribly likely to work very well.

I bought an M42->DKL adapter. While it's been perfectly fine, I wonder whether the PK version might have certain advantages. For example, the fact that both mounts are bayonet fitting would ensure that everything will line up perfectly when the DKL lenses are mounted.

Looking beyond 35mm, you could always consider medium-format systems as candidates for adaptation. I've got adapters for Pentacon 6 and Pentax 6x7 lenses, and there are other adapters out there as well. Sometimes those lenses are available at surprisingly reasonable prices. Again, you have to ask yourself whether the purchase of the adapter is a financially sound decision. (In my case, I already had the P6 and 6x7 lenses.)

I've remounted one Leica R lens to PK (Leitax adapter) and a couple of Topcon lenses to M42 (eBay adapters), and that went OK. The conversions are non-destructive, and are said to be reversible; I would say that's true in the case of my Leitax conversion, doubtful in the case of my Topcon conversions. The lenses I converted were common lenses; I have a strong aversion to the notion of remounting a rare or valuable lens, and to destructive or irreversible conversions of any kind.

I know that some MFL colleagues have had success creating DIY adapters allowing them to mount Exakta lenses to PK bodies, with varying degrees of success. Whether that might represent a realistic option for you depends in part on your level of dexterity (and the equipment in your workshop).

For macro work, a simple M39->M42 adapter will allow you to use a wide variety of enlarger lenses, often available at shockingly low prices. For best results, you'll need a focusing facility: either a helicoid etension tube or a bellows.

Anyway, that's been my experience. I'm sure wiser folks will be able to offer other suggestions.

Ultimately, for me, the best solution offering adaptability of inexpensive "orphan" lenses came from Panasonic; it's a G1.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:

It's important to remember that the DKL adapters incorporate a mechanism for changing the lens aperture, so it's not really surprising that they're more expensive than some of the simpler adapters.

Yes, and while I understand the charme of cheap, it's important to remember that in some things, cheap is not really cheap. What is cheaper, to buy a $20 adapter that works badly because the aperture selection component is cheap and does not work well, and then buying a $ 60 adapter that finally works well, or to buy directly a $ 60 adapter that works well?
The second option makes you save time and 20 bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKL lenses are awesome and the adapter is a good investment - so don't worry about it - buy it and have fun.

Here is a link to a brochure of voightlander's line

http://www.cameramanuals.org/voigtlander_pdf/voigtlander_slr_cameras.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

@univer,
One other mount that isn't (terribly) destructive to convert for PK use is OM system. At least, a Vivitar 35/2.8 on OM mount fit unmodified onto the polycarbonate (plastic) mount of my ZX-M film cam, and with a slight mod, onto the metal mount of my K20D. The mod: shave away a thin wedge from the underside of the leading edges of the bayonet.

I've considered MF glass and find myself orbiting towards lenses from junked folders, like a Zeiss Tessar 80/2.8, and of course enlargers and projectors. I've found that 75mm or shorter generally can't achieve infinity focus on my M42 bellows. An exception: I recently got a perspective-control Schneider PC-Cinelux AV 60/2.8 that, after cutting away its projector mount tube and bonding to a short macro tube, can reach infinity on my PK bellows.

I've also tried the Exakta-M39-M42 route and find that I can possibly reach infinity if I grind down the adapters and use thin-base lens bodies. I'll see if an in-law has milling gear in his workshop -- I haven't the tools. Hmm, I'm running out of cheap M39-M42 and M42-PK adapters, having tasked too many to existing lenses. It's time for another eBay splurge.

I'm afraid I *will* have to buy a DKL-PK adapter. Bother. ;(

@farside,
I will check with Alex. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread over on FM55 about DKL Lens Adapters: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/940102/0#8882218

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:

I'm afraid I *will* have to buy a DKL-PK adapter. Bother. ;(

@farside,
I will check with Alex. Thanks.

I put off buying one for ages simply because of the price - they were 90 euros and more. When Alex offered them at 50-ish I snapped one up and didn't regret it. It was like finally being able to reach a really annoying itch Smile , moreso because I already had the lenses from an impulse purchase of a Bessamatic outfit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipon brand DKL adaptor cost around 100USD. They are expensive because they are hard to make and not produced in large volume.