Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[AF] SMC Pentax-FA* 85mm F1.4 [IF]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: [AF] SMC Pentax-FA* 85mm F1.4 [IF] Reply with quote

Today I worked almost exclusively with the SMC Pentax-FA* 85mm F1.4. - an AF lens but a very well built one (only glass and metal, even the massive hood). I can only say that the lens really lived up to its legendary "star" status (hence the asterisk in the name).

FYI: the lens was designed by Jun Hirakawa, Pentax Chief Lens Designer who recently retired. He was responsible for quite a few other legendary Pentax lenses (such as the FA* 80-200/2.8 and the FA 77mm F1.8 Limited).

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think it is a good lens. Please send it to me, I love these crappy lenses (I pay you the shipping Wink ).
BTW, I see you've these little trains there too Razz

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! congrats, top results, great portaits

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible sharp , bit too much for portraits Smile Great results as always ! How do you like it compare with your oldest Takumar 83mm.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always impressed by your compositions!

so simple = which means highly effective.

excellent results..

and great eye!

tf

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice compositions.
Excellent contrast.

What about post-processing? Is the contrast due to the lens or due to Photoshop?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
I do not think it is a good lens. Please send it to me, I love these crappy lenses (I pay you the shipping Wink ).
BTW, I see you've these little trains there too Razz

Please let me think about it... Wink

poilu wrote:
wow! congrats, top results, great portaits

Thank you! Very Happy

Attila wrote:
Incredible sharp , bit too much for portraits Smile Great results as always ! How do you like it compare with your oldest Takumar 83mm.

Interesting question, comparing the oldest 83mm of Asahi to the newest 85mm (there's no new 85mm anymore in Pentax's lens list). Of course, the FA* is way sharper than the Takumar, it borders perfection. But im some instances the 83mm is more pleasing to the eye as it's more smooth. But the 83mm also requires postprocessing to give a more contrasty look.
I'd coose the 83mm Takumar for plain portraiture; the 85mm FA* for more modern shoots (such as fashion shoots).

trifox wrote:
always impressed by your compositions!

so simple = which means highly effective.

excellent results..

and great eye!

Thank you! Somehow I think we have the same shooting style Wink

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Very nice compositions.
Excellent contrast.

What about post-processing? Is the contrast due to the lens or due to Photoshop?

Thanks! No contrast adjustments have been made at all in Photoshop. These were converted from raw and then framed. But I did use the lens with its dedicated hood because lots of glass can mean also that it's more prone to flare (despite the famous SMC coating). The hood really is massive; it makes the lens twice as long when mounted!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW results as expected ! Supersharp and clarity is amazing. For my feeling very FA 77-like results.

If you would have to choose between FA77 and FA*85, what would you choose ?

Cheers
Tobi

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you do have a superb f1.4 lens and in the "right" skilled hands it shines!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
WOW results as expected ! Supersharp and clarity is amazing. For my feeling very FA 77-like results.

Thanks, and yes I agree with you wrt the FA77 Limited-like rendering. No wonder as the FA77 is really a scaled-down version of the FA* 85 designed by the same master.

Quote:

If you would have to choose between FA77 and FA*85, what would you choose ?

I feel that the FA* is sharper at the same f/stops, but the Limited is more portable of course. Now I don't have a problem with weighty lenses (I will happily lug several kilos of camera equipment with me on my strolls, so I'm trained Wink)

But a picture says more than 1000 words. With the hoods extended/attached:

The FA* still looks hefty without the hood, but the differences are not as big anymore:

I always like how the Pentax FA* (Star) lenses have a decal with a picture of the optical scheme attached to the side of the lens:

stingOM wrote:
Indeed you do have a superb f1.4 lens and in the "right" skilled hands it shines!

Thank you! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very well done Peter and I share your opinion about it as compared to the 83mm.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus. I think you are still the portrait lens master (at least I think you have still more examples of them)... Smile

Now, I had an interesting conversation with another owner of both the FA77 and the FA* 85:

Quote:
I converted a canon FD S.S.C 85mm f/1.2 to K mount a while ago, the results were decent but my copy of the Pentax FA*85mm f/1.4 wipes the floor with it. Especially in regards to corner resolution. In terms of contrast the FA* still beats the newer MKII version. With both lenses stopped down to f/2 you can still tell the difference between them. I don't use my FA*85mm f/1.4 much I prefer the FA77's smaller size and let's not forget that the FA77 has a less bulky lens hood.

As I also have the 85mm f/1.2 S.S.C. it'd be nice to see if I can back up his statements. But let's not forget that the Canon is still way older, so the coating might not be as effective. But I find it interesting that the "old" SMC (which was made from 1992 ~ 2004) still has a better contrast than the new EF85/1.2 L MkII. And that really surprises me.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot Peter for the comparison photographs FA77/*85!

FA77 indeed looks like the small child of *85 ... and so it's really true as it is designed by the same master as you said.

Quote:
I will happily lug several kilos of camera equipment with me on my strolls, so I'm trained

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing haha I know this so well !

What I would be bloody interrested in:
comparison on same motive between S.M.C. Tak 85/1.8, Fa*85 and FA77
Very Happy I would pay you out some beers for that.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick wide-open shots I made during lunch break.

I have no idea how this lens compares to for instance the Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 (both the older C/Y version and the newer ZK version), any ideas? It would be hard to compare because most shots I see with those Zeisses are made on fullframe, the ones below with my humble K-7 APS-C Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice samples with calm bokeh
spot wrote:
I have no idea how this lens compares to for instance the Zeiss Planar 85/1.4

the Zeiss is more 'electric'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent samples, Poilu! It seems that Zeiss' choice was for sharpness and acutance, not so much for bokeh? Although I'm sure there are many who will prefer the Zeiss output over the Pentax...

Edit: BTW which Zeiss is it? The old C/Y or the new Zeiss ZE/ZK/ZF?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like first from first wave like portrait and third for moment.

Regards Zeiss - bokeh!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful samples. It seems like a great lense. Is it really fast to focus?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
Wonderful samples. It seems like a great lense. Is it really fast to focus?

Thanks! Yes, thanks to the internal focusing this is one of my fastest AF lenses. In MF mode it's just the same as my other MF lenses Smile