Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

advice super sharp 28 or 35 mm lens.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:

Yes. The sx are good lenses.

In rolleinar ones i only used the 1,4/55 -mamiya lens-. Never used the hft rolleinars.

Thanks.

Neither I did, nor I know any other than this 28mm. But I read some really enthusiastic reviews somewhere, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is not really easy mounting them, they have a peculiar m42 mount that won't work with most (any?) adapters without some butchering.
The rolleinar versions are probably easier to adapt on nex.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Also, is not really easy mounting them, they have a peculiar m42 mount that won't work with most (any?) adapters without some butchering.

ah, yes....that was the other reason I sold all mine. they worked fine on m42 film bodies, but didn't adapt to digital slrs at all without mods. the one I miss the most is the 85mm f1.7, that was a great lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the RE Auto Topcor 35mm f/2.8. This thing is sharper than my Summicron R 35/2 and basically any 35mm lens I have tried. It's as sharp as the modern Fuji X 35mm f/1.4 which is an exceptionnal lens.
It can be found around 150-200 euros. Great bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Aanything wrote:

ah, yes....that was the other reason I sold all mine. they worked fine on m42 film bodies, but didn't adapt to digital slrs at all without mods. the one I miss the most is the 85mm f1.7, that was a great lens.

Mamiya DTL/TL lenses have a godd fame too. I used the mamiya DTL 2,8/135 tokina made and it was very good, sharp from wide open. Medium contrast.

And the SX are better yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

it's a shame, that mamiya lenses are cheap, good purchase.

Rolleinars are more expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
I would recommend the RE Auto Topcor 35mm f/2.8. This thing is sharper than my Summicron R 35/2 and basically any 35mm lens I have tried. It's as sharp as the modern Fuji X 35mm f/1.4 which is an exceptionnal lens.
It can be found around 150-200 euros. Great bang for the buck.

If it has the IQ of the topcor 58 lenses, sure it's very good.

Thanks Billou.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested my 28mm and 35mm for sharpness today, both close focus and infinity ( resp. just a tad shorter than infinity, focused at the houses across the garden and road )

At ( close to ) infinity and @ f4, f5.6 and f8 at about 1/3rd distance from center to one side ( that's where I focused and made my crops ) the differences of the better lenses are minimal, some weaker lenses incl. the NEX kit lens do fall behind.
Still, if I should make a ranking than I'd put it as follows:

28mm lenses @f4:
1. Pentax A f2.8/28mm. Pentax K f2.8/30mm, Vivitar f2/28mm
2. Vivitar f2.8/28mm Close focus
3. Voigtlaender Color Skoparex AR 2.8/28mm
4. S-M-C Takumar f2.8/28mm, Yashinon-Ds f2.8/28mm
more easily noticable difference to the next:
5. Kiron f2.8/28mm
6. Komura f3.5/28mm, Sony SEL 18-55mm

28mm @f5.6 and @f8
1: Pentax A f2.8/28mm, Pentax K f2.8/30mm, Vivitar f2/28mm, Vivitar f2.8/28mm close Focus, Voigtlaender Color Skoparex AR 2.8/28mm, Yashinon-Ds f2.8/28mm, Super Takumar f3.5/28mm ( first version, doesn't come up @f4, made an error while shooting )
2: S-M-C Takumar f2.8/28mm
more easily noticable difference to the next:
3: Kiron f2.8/28mm, Sony SEL 18-55mm
4. Komura f3.5/28mm

35mm @f4:
1: Auto Takumar f2.3/35mm, Pentax FA35, Auto Takumar f3.5/35mm, Pen-F Zuiko f1.8/38, Super Takumar f3.5/35mm, Vivitar f1.9/35mm, Topcor RE f2.8/35mm, Yashinon-DX f2.8/35mm
2: S-M-C Takumar f2/35mm
quite weaker: Curtagon f4.5/35mm and Fujian f1.7/35

35mm @f5.6:
1. Auto Takumar f2.3/35mm, Pentax FA35, Pen-F Zuiko f1.8/35mm,
2. Topcor Re f2.8/35mm, Auto Takumar f3.5/35mm, Super Takumar f3.5/35mm
3. Vivitar f1.9/35mm, Yashinon-DX f2.8/35mm
4. S-M-C Takumar f2/35mm
quite weaker: Curtagon and Sony SEL

35mm @f8
1: Auto Takumar f2.3/35mm, Pentax FA35, Super Takumar f3.5/35mm, Auto Takumar f3.5/35mm, Topcor RE f2.8/35mM
2: S-M-C Takumar f2/35mm, Vivitar f1.9/35mm, Yashinon-DX f2.8/35mm
quite weaker: Curtagon 4.5/35
SEL 18-55 and Pen-F 1.8/38 not tested @f8

note again: differences of most lenses at these apertures are minimal!
big surprises for me and sure ( at least my copies ) top performers concerning sharpness:
Vivitar f2/28mm and Auto Takumar f2.3/35mm!
and: even that Komura that didn't fare too well takes really wonderful photos Smile

now, don't beat on me if your favorite lens did not come in 1. Wink

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:50 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

Oh, my favourite (auto takumar 2.3/35) came in first, so I'm really happy Wink

It is really incredibly sharp when stopped down.
Too bad my copy is in quite poor shape because of some heinous previous owner who tried to service it and made a complete mess: it took me some days of hard work to put it back in usable shape.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, great to know 'Aanything'!

I had bought my Auto Tak f2.3/35 time ago more as a collectors piece, it's such a beautiful lens.
have hardly ever used it Embarassed mine looks like new Wink

( but I won't take it with me on my travels, too big and heavy for my suitcase and I am not treating my gear carefully when on the road, I don't want to damage this mint lens made some time between 1959 and 62 )

the Vivitar f2/28mm is one of the very few lenses ( or maybe the only one? ) that gets the maximum rate of 10.0 at user reviews at Pentaxforums. I have not been aware of this nor that it really is that sharp, lately had been looking for a good f2/28mm lens actually. Now I won't search any more Smile
Very sharp also Pentax A f2.8/28 and K f2.8/30, the A lens surprised me, I had thought it is not all that highly regarded nor a top performer, but it is, and so is FA35.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I tested my 28mm and 35mm for sharpness today, both close focus and infinity ( resp. just a tad shorter than infinity, focused at the houses across the garden and road )

At ( close to ) infinity and @ f4, f5.6 and f8 at about 1/3rd distance from center to one side ( that's where I focused and made my crops ) the differences of the better lenses are minimal, some weaker lenses incl. the NEX kit lens do fall behind.
Still, if I should make a ranking than I'd put it as follows:

28mm lenses @f4:
1. Pentax A f2.8/28mm. Pentax K f2.8/30mm, Vivitar f2/28mm
2. Vivitar f2.8/28mm Close focus
3. Voigtlaender Color Skoparex AR 2.8/28mm
4. S-M-C Takumar f2/35, Yashinon-Ds f2.8/28mm
5. Kiron f2.8/28mm
6. Komura f3.5/28mm, Sony SEL 18-55mm

28mm @f5.6 and @f8
1: Pentax A f2.8/28mm, Pentax K f2.8/30mm, Vivitar f2/28mm, Vivitar f2.8/28mm close Focus, Voigtlaender Color Skoparex AR 2.8/28mm, Yashinon-Ds f2.8/28mm, Super Takumar f3.5/28mm ( first version, doesn't come up @f4, made an error while shooting )
3: Kiron f2.8/28mm, Sony SEL 18-55mm
4. Komura f3.5/28mm

35mm @f4:
1: Auto Takumar f2.3/35mm, Pentax FA35, Pen-F Zuiko f1.8/38, Super Takumar f3.5/35mm, Vivitar f1.9/35mm, Topcor RE f2.8/35mm, Yashinon-DX f2.8/35mm
2: S-M-C Takumar f2/35mm
quite weaker: Curtagon f4.5/35mm and Fujian f1.7/35

35mm @f5.6:
1. Auto Takumar f2.3/35mm, Pentax FA35, Pen-F Zuiko f1.8/35mm,
2. Topcor Re f2.8/35mm, Auto Takumar f3.5/35mm, Super Takumar f3.5/35mm
3. Vivitar f1.9/35mm, Yashinon-DX f2.8/35mm
4. S-M-C Takumar f2/35mm
quite weaker: Curtagon and Sony SEL

35mm @f8
1: Auto Takumar f2.3/35mm, Pentax FA35, Super Takumar f3.5/35mm, Topcor RE f2.8/35mm
2: S-M-C Takumar f2/35mm, Vivitar f1.9/35mm, Yashinon-DX f2.8/35mm
quite weaker: Curtagon, SEL not tested @f8

note again: differences of most lenses at these apertures are minimal!
big surprises for me and sure ( at least my copies ) top performers concerning sharpness:
Vivitar f2/28mm and Auto Takumar f2.3/35mm!
and: even that Komura that didn't fare too well takes really wonderful photos Smile

First in first. Thank you, very much.

In 28 mm, the pentaxes A and K do not suprise me, they have very good fame.

Vivitar does.

In 35 mm, the Auto Takumar is a lens to go for, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just realized that I made 2 mistakes in my list, will edit that now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised by the comments about the Vivitar 28/2. I found my two samples were soft at wider apertures and had softish borders combined with CA at smaller apertures. Nowhere near the quality of a Distagon (but a lot cheaper). The Flektogon also has poor borders even stopped down.

If the OP is still interested in my comments then all versions of the Nikkor 28/2 are stunning IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:

I don't know, I mean, it's great: sharp, with character, acceptable contrast, CA almost non-existent.
But it's big (as long as some of my 135mm), it has a big front element and very old (single layer) coating so it tends to flare badly, it has a relatively long minimum focus distance (45cm).
And it tends to be expensive, because it is sought after by collectors, both for its look and its "historical" value: it was the first fast retrofocus lens made in japan, and it was common among reporters because of its speed, really remarkable for the end of the fifties.
So, not exactly your walk-around 35mm lens, but a great one non the less.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually me too I am very surprised by my Vivitar 2/28, now even more so because I just found out that mine is NOT the one that gets the 10 rating at Pentaxforums. The '10' is the one that says 'Close Focus', mine is the 'Auto-Wide' that only gets a 8.29, I must be lucky with my copy Smile
note that this test was for sharpness only, not CA, but you well could be right there, weak corners i wouldn't say, must review again for Ca and corners

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

I don't know, I mean, it's great: sharp, with character, acceptable contrast, CA almost non-existent.
But it's big (as long as some of my 135mm), it has a big front element and very old (single layer) coating so it tends to flare badly, it has a relatively long minimum focus distance (45cm).
And it tends to be expensive, because it is sought after by collectors, both for its look and its "historical" value: it was the first fast retrofocus lens made in japan, and it was common among reporters because of its speed, really remarkable for the end of the fifties.

right!
the Auto Takumar f3.5/35 is very small, tiny really, and is just about as sharp Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I'm surprised by the comments about the Vivitar 28/2. I found my two samples were soft at wider apertures and had softish borders combined with CA at smaller apertures. Nowhere near the quality of a Distagon (but a lot cheaper). The Flektogon also has poor borders even stopped down.

If the OP is still interested in my comments then all versions of the Nikkor 28/2 are stunning IMO.

Hi manualfocusG.

Your comments always are welcome. Thanks for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

Is it big? Not matter.

Is it heavy? Not problem.

Has flare? A good shade.

Has good IQ? I want it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Aanything wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

right!
the Auto Takumar f3.5/35 is very small, tiny really, and is just about as sharp Wink

I don't look at the size of the lens. Only the IQ.

Both takumars are solid performance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
kuuan wrote:
Aanything wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

right!

I don't look at the size of the lens. Only the IQ.

Both takumars are solid performance.

Does anyone know if the auto takumar f3,5/35 is as good as the super tak or smc tak f3,5/35 which is slightly larger in size?
or is it possibly the same optical formula in a smaller bbl?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the diagram of the auto takumar 3.5/35 shown here:
http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_e.html
with what I remember from the last time I disassembled a super-takumar 3.5/35, I'd say they're the same design, or quite similar anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:

Does anyone know if the auto takumar f3,5/35 is as good as the super tak or smc tak f3,5/35 which is slightly larger in size?
or is it possibly the same optical formula in a smaller bbl?

according to Pentaxforums user review data, yes, same optical formula of Auto, Super, S-M-C Takumar f3.5/35mm, even the Pentax K version, see http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/S-M-C-Super-Auto-Takumar-35mm-F3.5.html

in my sharpness test they are identical, as you mention the Auto Tak is even smaller than the already small later versions:

the Auto Tak typical lever to push open the aperture is different on the 3.5/35 than on any other Auto Takumar, doesn't have a long throw but is more like a button to push. For this reason I find it useful, I can keep it pushed to have the lens wide open while focusing and release it to stop down to the preselected aperture value before taking the shot

the Auto Takumar f2.3/35mm in comparison is quite a beast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina 2.8/28 that I have is the sharpest 28 I've ever come across: http://forum.mflenses.com/asanuma-2-8-28-by-mamiya-sekor-t62918,highlight,%2Basanuma.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the 28mm Vivitars:

there are so many versions! the two included in my test are versions K02 ( 2.8/28mm Close Focus, though mine is not 'K', but has OM mount ) and the other is version K12 according to the classification of the 'The Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary': http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar.html
resp. also see discussion and samples of quite a few versions: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34654-vivitar-28mm-fa31mm-replacement.html ( where I also found someone saying that the 2/28 version 'K12', the one incl. in my test, was sharper than his Pentax A f2.8/28mm ) Corner sharpness I believe is considered good, but flare resistance rather bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tokina and vivitar suggestions.

Kuuan, great site. Thanks again.

I have read, some time ago, that the vivitar 2,5/28 made by tokina (serial 37 no 22), is a very good lens. Any experience?