Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asanuma 2.8/28 by Mamiya/Sekor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Asanuma 2.8/28 by Mamiya/Sekor Reply with quote

Found this lens on ebay for real cheap. Asanuma brand, identical mechanically and presumably optically with the Mamiya/Sekor 2.8/28. The only differences I can see are very slight cosmetic ones like the colors use on the focus scale and the pattern of the focus grip.

Took a couple quick test shots to get an idea for what to expect from this lens, and it performs very well in my opinion.

Bokeh is sort of ugly wide open, but not the worst I've seen for a 28. Softens considerably when stopped down to f/5.6.
Crops: no sharpening or adjustments, hand held:

wide open

f/8

f/5.6

I'll have to get the tripod out to really see what it can do, and look forward to shooting it with some film. Not bad for a $9 lens, one of the better 28s I've had. Maybe even the best once I get to use it more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an older lens ?
Metal focus grip, etc. ?
It may be a Tokina.
Many of the first generation Mamiya lenses are from this line, and Asanuma was a distributors brand that carried a lot of Tokina items.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Nice pics, especially at f/5,6 and f/8.

A little question. Where did you obtain information of the possible conexion with mamiya ?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Hi.

Nice pics, especially at f/5,6 and f/8.

A little question. Where did you obtain information of the possible conexion with mamiya ?

Thanks.

I noticed that the lens looked similar to the Mamiya one, and when I got it I confirmed that it is indeed mechanically the same. I will get some pics of the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same as the Tokina made Mamiya?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a fair bit like the Tokina made Soligor and Vivitar, like the original T4 series.
Or perhaps not.

Of course the Tokina lenses are seen dressed up in all sorts of styles as they were sold under so many brands for many years.
Whats the filter diameter ? The Tokinas were 58mm.

A very similar lens that has fooled me before is from Sun.

Here is a post I did on the origins of this lens -

http://forum.mflenses.com/who-made-these-28-2-8-sun-or-tokina-t15298,highlight,%2B28+%2B2+%2B8.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
It looks a fair bit like the Tokina made Soligor and Vivitar, like the original T4 series.
Or perhaps not.

Of course the Tokina lenses are seen dressed up in all sorts of styles as they were sold under so many brands for many years.
Whats the filter diameter ? The Tokinas were 58mm.

A very similar lens that has fooled me before is from Sun.

Here is a post I did on the origins of this lens -

http://forum.mflenses.com/who-made-these-28-2-8-sun-or-tokina-t15298,highlight,%2B28+%2B2+%2B8.html

Yes, it has the 58mm filter ring. So Tokina it is I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more photos from this lens.

The Lost Camera (see description) by berangberang, on Flickr

Welta Reflekta by berangberang, on Flickr

Still impressed by a 28 that is this sharp wide open, although I've noticed that it tends to render colors very coolly, even here with the reds bumped up a bit in post, it's it's still biased towards cool colors.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a 28mm that is sharp wide open is impressive.
This is a good lens it seems.
Thanks for sharing.
OH