Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

advice super sharp 28 or 35 mm lens.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and also the Contax G 2/35 Planar *T Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
(if you're using NEXC3/5N or later or µFT, please stop ignoring our asks about your camera, otherwise I will start recommending medium format fisheye, D-Mount 8mm film and CS-Mount surveillance ~30mm lenses Wink)

Also most of these suggestions are useless with 5D because hit the mirror.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35mm is my favourite focal length on FF, I've been through a couple of different ones but so far the Nikon 35mm f1.4 AI-S is the one I'm keeping. It's not sharp wide open (as you'd expect) but at f2 it's great, and at f4 it's insanely good.
Focus ring on it is smooth as butter and you can get from Infinity to close focus in a single twist. It's a bulky lens on something like the NEX, but perfect on a bigger body. You should be able to pick one up for ~$250 in good condition if you look hard enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Pentax K 28/3.5 is one of the sharpest 28mm lenses ever. If you need sharp, this is the one to get as opposed to the faster ones. Note that SMC Takumar 28/3.5, although a nice lens, has a different optical formula and is not as sharp.

Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 is great when used stopped down. Costa a lot of money, and if you want the sharpest and don't care for 2.8 vs. 3.5, the Pentax is a better option.

Olympus OM Zuiko 28/2.8 and 28/2 are great, very nice lenses. Both very sharp.

Nikkor AIS 28/2.8 (note the AIS designation!) is nice, but lacks the bite at infinity. Nikkor AIS 28/2 is great all the way around though. The 28/3.5 Nikkor is good and sharp, especially in AIS incarnation, and can be had for a reasonable price.

Yashica ML 28/2.8 is a budget option and still a very nice lens. Not the sharpest one, but very nice.

The 35mm focal length is difficult. For some reasons, finding a very sharp 28mm lens is easier than getting a very sharp 35mm. Go figure.

Of course, you could get a Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4, but that lens costs an arm and a leg. In my experience, Nikkor AIS 35/1.4 works just as well when stopped down. I was disappointed by the slower Nikkors though, so can't really recommend their 35/2 or 35/2.8 versions.

Zeiss Distagon 35/2.8 is very nice, but many consider it to be the weaker part of the C/Y range. Still a nice sharp lens.

Yashica ML 35/2.8 is a budget option and also very sharp, almost as good as the Distagon at a small fraction of the price.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
no it's Topcon/Exakta mount

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topcon_RE_Super

It's no Distagon..... but it's pretty good !

Ahhh.....yes. very good lenses are the topcor. I watched some examples. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:
Aanything wrote:
The takumar 28/3.5 and 35/3.5 are both very sharp, not quite like
The distagon 28/2.8, but really sharp none the less. And they should be relatively cheap.

Both are in my list. Thanks.

The smcK 28mm f3.5 is even sharper than the takumar and only costs about $150

I list the lens. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
My tip:
Contax G Biogon 28/2.8 T*
(if you're using NEXC3/5N or later or µFT, please stop ignoring our asks about your camera, otherwise I will start recommending medium format fisheye, D-Mount 8mm film and CS-Mount surveillance ~30mm lenses Wink)

Well man, do it. And thank you, very much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:
Aanything wrote:
The takumar 28/3.5 and 35/3.5 are both very sharp, not quite like
The distagon 28/2.8, but really sharp none the less. And they should be relatively cheap.

Both are in my list. Thanks.

The smcK 28mm f3.5 is even sharper than the takumar and only costs about $150

I forgot to add that if you prefer 35mm focal length, both the Pentax takumar 35mm f3.5 and smc Pentax K 35mm f3.5
(same optical design) are extremely sharp lenses and neither is very expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
..and also the Contax G 2/35 Planar *T Very Happy

Thank you so much

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about m42 Flektogons 35mm
The f2.4 can be found around 130 dollars.
The f2.8 around 80 dollars.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

Also most of these suggestions are useless with 5D because hit the mirror.

Thanks Kansalliskala. But my cams are two nex.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fullframeboy wrote:
35mm is my favourite focal length on FF, I've been through a couple of different ones but so far the Nikon 35mm f1.4 AI-S is the one I'm keeping. It's not sharp wide open (as you'd expect) but at f2 it's great, and at f4 it's insanely good.
Focus ring on it is smooth as butter and you can get from Infinity to close focus in a single twist. It's a bulky lens on something like the NEX, but perfect on a bigger body. You should be able to pick one up for ~$250 in good condition if you look hard enough.

I like that lens very much. Many thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
SMC Pentax K 28/3.5 is one of the sharpest 28mm lenses ever. If you need sharp, this is the one to get as opposed to the faster ones. Note that SMC Takumar 28/3.5, although a nice lens, has a different optical formula and is not as sharp.

Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 is great when used stopped down. Costa a lot of money, and if you want the sharpest and don't care for 2.8 vs. 3.5, the Pentax is a better option.

Olympus OM Zuiko 28/2.8 and 28/2 are great, very nice lenses. Both very sharp.

Nikkor AIS 28/2.8 (note the AIS designation!) is nice, but lacks the bite at infinity. Nikkor AIS 28/2 is great all the way around though. The 28/3.5 Nikkor is good and sharp, especially in AIS incarnation, and can be had for a reasonable price.

Yashica ML 28/2.8 is a budget option and still a very nice lens. Not the sharpest one, but very nice.

The 35mm focal length is difficult. For some reasons, finding a very sharp 28mm lens is easier than getting a very sharp 35mm. Go figure.

Of course, you could get a Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4, but that lens costs an arm and a leg. In my experience, Nikkor AIS 35/1.4 works just as well when stopped down. I was disappointed by the slower Nikkors though, so can't really recommend their 35/2 or 35/2.8 versions.

Zeiss Distagon 35/2.8 is very nice, but many consider it to be the weaker part of the C/Y range. Still a nice sharp lens.

Yashica ML 35/2.8 is a budget option and also very sharp, almost as good as the Distagon at a small fraction of the price.

Aoleg, thank you. Very informative and formative too.

I have listed the lenses yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about the schneider curtagon 28/4?

Any experience with 28/3,5 angenieux R11?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a wonderfully comical character Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

probably they never used one... it's a damn good lens (same for Rollei HFT Distagon/Voigtländer Color-Skoparex 2.8/35). Nearly as good is the Rolleinar 2.8/35 (or Voigtländer Color-Skoparex AR 2.8/35) which you normaly can get for half the price of a distagon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:

I have the curtagon 28/4 in m42 (edixa): i like it very much because of its size, character and build quality, but mine, despite being sharp enough (actually sharp in the center, less so in the corners, even on aps-c up to f8 ), has lowish contrast and poor flare resistance: I tend to use it stopped down and slightly underexposed for landscapes, and I like the results very much.
I read everywhere that exakta and dkl versions of this lens are better but, imho, if sharpness is your main interest, you can find cheaper lenses that are sharper.
IIRC user IAZA has some very nice samples shared here on the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterinex wrote:

Yes, when center sharpness is sought. But they both loose on edges. Not an issue with APS-C cameras though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
You are a wonderfully comical character Very Happy

Thanks.very much.

The life is not a serious thing. The death is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
aoleg wrote:

probably they never used one... it's a damn good lens (same for Rollei HFT Distagon/Voigtländer Color-Skoparex 2.8/35). Nearly as good is the Rolleinar 2.8/35 (or Voigtländer Color-Skoparex AR 2.8/35) which you normaly can get for half the price of a distagon.

The rolleinar is the same like mamiya dtl/tl/vivitar/tokina 2,8/35 lend?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

I have the curtagon 28/4 in m42 (edixa): i like it very much because of its size, character and build quality, but mine, despite being sharp enough (actually sharp in the center, less so in the corners, even on aps-c up to f8 ), has lowish contrast and poor flare resistance: I tend to use it stopped down and slightly underexposed for landscapes, and I like the results very much.
I read everywhere that exakta and dkl versions of this lens are better but, imho, if sharpness is your main interest, you can find cheaper lenses that are sharper.
IIRC user IAZA has some very nice samples shared here on the forum.

I had it a long time ago in dkl. Used with my bessamatics and ultramatics. Didn't like it so much, but with digital cams all was changed....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
asterinex wrote:

Yes, when center sharpness is sought. But they both loose on edges. Not an issue with APS-C cameras though.

I used only the 2,4. I have good images taken with it. And yes, at edges the images sre something soft, i guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:

I think it's the same as the auto mamiya sekor sx 2.8/35, judging from barrel shape. Also, performance looked quite similar, but I had the rolleinar only for a very short time.
Another option for 28mm could be the Mamiya sekor SX 2.8/28, which is great on apsc, but a bit weak on the corners on FF.
This one is the same as the Rolleinar MC 2.8/28.
OTOH, the later Rolleinar HFT 2.8/28 should be a different design: 8 elements in 7 groups vs 7/7 for the MC Rolleinar - always made by mamiya, though.
I never owned one, but it should be good according to the voices I heard.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

I think it's the same as the auto mamiya sekor sx 2.8/35, judging from barrel shape. Also, performance looked quite similar, but I had the rolleinar only for a very short time.
Another option for 28mm could be the Mamiya sekor SX 2.8/28, which is great on apsc, but a bit weak on the corners on FF.
OTOH, the later Rolleinar HFT 2.8/28 should be a different design: 8 elements in 7 groups vs 7/7 for the MC Rolleinar - always made by mamiya, though.

Yes. The sx are good lenses.

In rolleinar ones i only used the 1,4/55 -mamiya lens-. Never used the hft rolleinars.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

I used to have a whole bunch of mamiya sx m42 lenses in mint condition and they were optically superb lenses. I sold them however because they didn't have auto manual switches on the barrels.