Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

advice super sharp 28 or 35 mm lens.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
The Tokina 2.8/28 that I have is the sharpest 28 I've ever come across

I concur. I have a Tokina EL version and it is just as good as my Nikkor 28/2.8. As far 35mm goes - I used to have an old non-AI Nikkor 35/2.0 and it was lovely lens. I kinda regret selling it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
I have read, some time ago, that the vivitar 2,5/28 made by tokina (serial 37 no 22), is a very good lens. Any experience?

I've never heard of such a lens. Every single 28/2.5 I've ever seen was a Kiron. Doesn't mean they don't exist, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

I concur. I have a Tokina EL version and it is just as good as my Nikkor 28/2.8. As far 35mm goes - I used to have an old non-AI Nikkor 35/2.0 and it was lovely lens. I kinda regret selling it.

Tokina EL? diameter 52 mm and serial N° 8410xxx?

The same version like yours?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:
I have read, some time ago, that the vivitar 2,5/28 made by tokina (serial 37 no 22), is a very good lens. Any experience?

I've never heard of such a lens. Every single 28/2.5 I've ever seen was a Kiron. Doesn't mean they don't exist, of course.

Thanks.

See the T91 here http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar.html.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Gardener wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

Thanks.

See the T91 here http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar.html.

Oh! I know that one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:

Is it big? Not matter.

Is it heavy? Not problem.

Has flare? A good shade.

Has good IQ? I want it.

If the price isn't problem too, just get Distagon 2/35 Z*, it's miles ahead of all the lenses mentioned here. At f2 it's already better than most of them at f5.6 and at f4 is better than most of them at f11. Not to mention fantastic contrast and "3D" pop. The ONLY lens from about thirty 35mm I've tested which exceeded it's performance in one discipline is Pentax FA 2/35. Pentax is from f5.6 better for landscapes - lower (well, prakticaly none) CAs in corners and Pentax has sharper extreme corners on FF at f5.6 and f8. Sigma 1.4/35 would be probably technically better lens too than Distagon, but from short test I did in local store, colors and contrast rendering isn't on pair with Zeiss. (I didn't tested Distagon 1.4/35 Z* yet).

But if you want something more reasonable in terms of price and size/weight, very good lenses for APS-C sensors are Rolleinar 2.8/35, Tevidon 1.8/35, Pentax-A 2.8/35, Yashica ML 2.8/35, Canon FD 2/35 S.S.C. non concave (concave is slightly sharper, but with yellow tint due to radioactive element), Canon nFD 2.8/35.

28mm
+1 for Pentax-A 2.8/28, this lens is a gem! On APS-C is even better than C/Y Distagon 2.8/28 and on FF is only marginally worse. Another very good 28mm lenses are Canon nFD 2/28 and nFD 2.8/28, Zuiko 3.5/28, Yashica ML 2.8/28 second version.

Don't waste your time with old Vivitars, Tokinas and Kirons...

Last edited by BRunner on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I tested my 28mm and 35mm for sharpness today, both close focus and infinity ( resp. just a tad shorter than infinity, focused at the houses across the garden and road )

At ( close to ) infinity and @ f4, f5.6 and f8 at about 1/3rd distance from center to one side ( that's where I focused and made my crops ) the differences of the better lenses are minimal, some weaker lenses incl. the NEX kit lens do fall behind.

A small question. I notice you have a Yashinon -Ds in your test. Do you have any experience of Yashica ML 28/2.8? I just got one and are qurious as to where it stands in the competition.
Kjell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belcanto wrote:

A small question. I notice you have a Yashinon -Ds in your test. Do you have any experience of Yashica ML 28/2.8? I just got one and are qurious as to where it stands in the competition.
Kjell

no, I don't have any ML, sorry, only the Yashinon-Ds. I specially pointed out that it is a Yashinon-Ds in M42 ( resp. a Y-Dx the 35mm ) because generally the ML lenses are considered to be the best Yashinons

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:

haha, I should take your word! whenever I have been using Vivitars and Kirons in real life I was not satisfied and fast went back to my takumars and Pentax lenses, simply never liked their colors, contrast, how the photo looked in comparison. But i shall give the 2/28 another chance, it's sharpness strongly impressed me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Gardener wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

Something like that, yes. 52mm and 83*****

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Gardener wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

Is it big? Not matter.

Is it heavy? Not problem.

Has flare? A good shade.

Has good IQ? I want it.

If the price isn't problem too, just get Distagon 2/35 Z*, it's miles ahead of all the lenses mentioned here. At f2 it's already better than most of them at f5.6 and at f4 is better than most of them at f11. Not to mention fantastic contrast and "3D" pop. The ONLY lens from about thirty 35mm I've tested which exceeded it's performance in one discipline is Pentax FA 2/35. Pentax is from f5.6 better for landscapes - lower (well, prakticaly none) CAs in corners and Pentax has sharper extreme corners on FF at f5.6 and f8. Sigma 1.4/35 would be probably technically better lens too than Distagon, but from short test I did in local store, colors and contrast rendering isn't on pair with Zeiss. (I didn't tested Distagon 1.4/35 Z* yet).

But if you want something more reasonable in terms of price and size/weight, very good lenses for APS-C sensors are Rolleinar 2.8/35, Tevidon 1.8/35, Pentax-A 2.8/35, Yashica ML 2.8/35, Canon FD 2/35 S.S.C. non concave (concave is slightly sharper, but with yellow tint due to radioactive element), Canon nFD 2.8/35.

28mm
+1 for Pentax-A 2.8/28, this lens is a gem! On APS-C is even better than C/Y Distagon 2.8/28 and on FF is only marginally worse. Another very good 28mm lenses are Canon nFD 2/28 and nFD 2.8/28, Zuiko 3.5/28, Yashica ML 2.8/28 second version.

Thanks BRunner, very much.

Both Pentax have a very good fame.

The canons, zuiko and yashica ML are into the good team too.

My possibilities are expanding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
BRunner wrote:

haha, I should take your word! whenever I have been using Vivitars and Kirons in real life I was not satisfied and fast went back to my takumars and Pentax lenses, simply never liked their colors, contrast, how the photo looked in comparison. But i shall give the 2/28 another chance, it's sharpness strongly impressed me

Well, let us know the result, please.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:
Gardener wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

Thank you, so much.