Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

wow @ Volna-9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: wow @ Volna-9 Reply with quote

I have to say, I'm pretty thrilled with the Volna-9 I picked up on ebay. I wasn't expecting it to be much more than a fun extra lens, but I've been using it instead of my Canon 100mm macro since I first tried it a few weeks ago. Impressive!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inddeed it looks good, first pic is just amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last makes it for me!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urrrgh where do you guys find these fuggly spiders?! Shocked

Superb shots however! Very impressive closeups and nice colours Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures - love the butterfly, but those other monsters .........

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: wow @ Volna-9 Reply with quote

haley wrote:
I have to say, I'm pretty thrilled with the Volna-9 I picked up on ebay. I wasn't expecting it to be much more than a fun extra lens, but I've been using it instead of my Canon 100mm macro since I first tried it a few weeks ago. Impressive!

Welcome! Some fantastic examples!

Volna-9 catch many advanced member heart even if they have best lenses ! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That spider shot is ace.
Good choice on the Volna - it's one I plan to get.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots - congrats!
(that first image is great, but the bokeh doesn't work for me
- except for the -intended- effect)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volna-9 has a fine reputation on this forum dating way back. I first saw it recommended by Orio, who is familiar with the best

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! I dream to shot one like those Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots...I'm not doing very well with my macro snaps I have everything in my favour i.e. film camera with excellent focusing screen and MF Vivitar 55mm macro lens, and I focused and saw the spider's eyes clearly....but the picture came out blurred.
I thought the shutter speed was fast enough at 1/250 sec, so it can either be me or the mirror (or whatever) is out, so for me it's WYSIWYDG (what you see is what you don't get).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots, the spider is awesome.

Bokeh is a matter of taste; I personally find the star-shaped out of focus highlights distract from the butterfly. Not that it ruins a fine lens - if the photo was of someone in a nightclub or bar I'd say the bokeh stars would add to the photo. I would prefer more neutral bokeh for "art by nature" photos though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them all except the 1st. The bokeh is too much for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The samples are nice but I agree with the bokeh complaints. That bokeh in pic #1 is WAY too busy for my taste.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Haley and Welcome. Very Happy

Very nice pictures.
I like russian lenses very much.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volna-9 is a beautiful lens with a multifaceted personality.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh in first picture is somehow ugly, but I like it a bit, somehow...
The spider pic is very nice.

I wan't this lens. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the first is definitely a show of the extreme end of bokeh with the Volna. I think I would grow tired of it were I to see it that pronounced all of the time, but I will admit to being rather fond of it here and there. I've only used my 100mm Canon a few times since getting the Volna.

I have the discovery of this forum to thank for turning me on to the lenses I have already picked up and the future ones I *need* that will no doubt break my bank account.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haley,
Your AF lenses are also great.
Do you appreciate the EF 85mm f1.8 ?
I suppose you have both 17-40 and 24-70 to mount on your 5D and the 450D. Which one do you prefer ? I would tend toward the 24-70 for my 40D, even if I would lack the wide side.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier, I actually used a Tokina 12-24 f4 for a few years even though it wasn't made for a full frame body. However, it was a great lens for the price, and I would have kept it for use on the 450D IR, but it's one of the lenses that gives a hot spot on infrared bodies, so I sold it and bought the 17-40 to use as my default IR lens since I assume I'll do mostly landscapes in IR. I keep meaning to use it on the 5D more often. I tend to stick with the 24-70 as a walk around lens and prefer it b/c of the 2.8. I'll get around to buying the 16-35 one day, and I suspect that it will move into my favorite spot over the 24-70. Truth be told, though, you're more likely to catch me with a macro lens or, lately, the Helios 44-3.

I honestly do not appreciate the 85 1.8 as much as I should. I originally bought it for shooting bands and in other low light environments (for which it is amazing). As much as I do realize that it is a beautiful lens, it is my least used. I intend to change that, but isn't that always the case? Each bag only fits so many lenses; someone's bound to be left behind.