Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which alternative to the pentax-DA 50-200 AF?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Which alternative to the pentax-DA 50-200 AF? Reply with quote

Is it pensable buy some unknown zoom brand and obtain some good shoot? Confused
Despite the nuisance of the lack of the AF?
Probably i will buy a 135 mm but i will have a lack about 200 or better 300 mm Question but when i see the price of fixed lens on this focal length i don't find it very interesting (at least here in Europe). Rolling Eyes
I would think about use a zoom at his maximum focal length and possible a zoom don't too dark.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which alternative to the pentax-DA 50-200 AF? Reply with quote

alelinuxbsd wrote:
Is it pensable buy some unknown zoom brand and obtain some good shoot? Confused
Despite the nuisance of the lack of the AF?
Probably i will buy a 135 mm but i will have a lack about 200 or better 300 mm Question but when i see the price of fixed lens on this focal length i don't find it very interesting (at least here in Europe). Rolling Eyes
I would think about use a zoom at his maximum focal length and possible a zoom don't too dark.

Have a look for a Tamron SP 60-300 f:3.8-5.4 I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice but a little too expensive for me. Confused

Perhaps is better if i see 200 mm rather then 300 mm.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the DA50-200 and some MF zoom lenses who share the same focal length.

Perhaps all of them a little sharper than DA50-200.

None of them so resistant to flare (haven't really compared though) and none of them have the same size.

Colors are also great with DA50-200.

It really depends on what you want. DA50-200 is a great, cheap and small travel zoom in good light.

If you look for similar qualities and longer focal length, maybe Pentax M135/3.5 or M200/4 come to my mind. MF zooms are usually bigger, but M75-150, A70-210 or Tamron SP 70-210 are safe choises.... and there are a lot of others.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an all-metal and glass lens with AF, then the SMC Pentax-F 70-210 (NOT the PentaxF 70-200 without SMC!) is a great and sharp lens. Maybe you can find one for cheap, I liked it when I visited Rome earlier in 2008. I made this night shot with the 70-210:

There's also the earlier, and non-AF, SMC Pentax-A 70-210 with a constant f/4. It's said that the A version is even better, although I haven't used it personally.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks i see some price about these alternative lens.

Note:
In Italy the price of the lens (and don't only the lens) are crazy.
Pentax 55-200mm: 170 euro (italian warranty) Shocked

Pentax 55-300mm: 329 euro (italian warranty) Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alelinuxbsd wrote:
Thanks i see some price about these alternative lens.

Note:
In Italy the price of the lens (and don't only the lens) are crazy.
Pentax 55-200mm: 170 euro (italian warranty) Shocked

Pentax 55-300mm: 329 euro (italian warranty) Shocked

Those prices seem normal today in EU.

There is plenty of cheap alternative available tele-lenses especially with manual focus for instance in ebay.

If AF is needed, the F-70-210/4-5.6 that spotmatic recommended is also a great lens. However don't know how easy it is to find a bargain price.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEH has the Pentax-F for $76.

They have the SMC-F for $99.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These price are the "best price" that i find for item with italian warranty because if i see "normal" price they are even more high!

Even 300 euro for a 50-200! Shocked

I see even some other zoom above indicates but the difference in prices is too limited.

Especially if a see item with europen warranty and not italian warranty.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a shop nearby here in The Netherlands the Pentax DA 50-200 costs -new!- 99 euros.

http://www.cameranu.nl/artikel/6179/Pentax_SMC_DA_50-200mm_F4.0-5.6_ED.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alelinuxbsd wrote:

Depends then, if you can live with a 80-210, then the Tamron 103A goes for dirt cheap. It was one of the most sold lenses in that range and is consistently under-priced. Keep your eyes on ebay and you'll get one for 10-20 euros.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
alelinuxbsd wrote:

Depends then, if you can live with a 80-210, then the Tamron 103A goes for dirt cheap. It was one of the most sold lenses in that range and is consistently under-priced. Keep your eyes on ebay and you'll get one for 10-20 euros.

Plus you won't need a warranty if it's rubbish Wink Just sell it on and buy another Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
In a shop nearby here in The Netherlands the Pentax DA 50-200 costs -new!- 99 euros.

http://www.cameranu.nl/artikel/6179/Pentax_SMC_DA_50-200mm_F4.0-5.6_ED.html

I don't understand the language but i understand very well the price.
Incredible. Shocked
Now i want cry. Crying or Very sad

I put that link on my bookmark to eternal memory of the difference between price on Europe.

Note:
Probably none known that in Italy we are all richer for these we pay products much more expensive than in the other Countries (Europe included). Exclamation Evil or Very Mad