Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's your favourite light meter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: What's your favourite light meter Reply with quote

I've got a modern Sekonic, but there are some bargain vintage meters out there.

What do you use and what do you like about it?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancient Weston Master III. Reliable and accurate, and if it dies, they are still repairable.

It helps that I got it for six quid complete with everything Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with the invercone?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meter, invercone, ND filter (not used on later models), and two cases (one for the meter alone, one for the meter plus cone and filter).

The only downside is that it's calibrated in Weston values, which is easy to convert (0.8 x ASA)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use all these for different purposes.

1. Color meter, Gossen Sixticolor and Minolta Color Meter II, for checking correct color temperature and correct color correction filters required. This is particular useful for color reversal film shot;

2. Spot meter, Minolta spotmeter, for visualizing contrast of the scene. This is particular useful if you use Adams Andsel's Zone System;

3. General purpose exposure meter, Minolta flash meter IV and Sekonic L608, these meters can take incident reading as well as reflective reading. The incident reading is taken to the subject and making use of dome to reduce exposure by 2 stops, this is particular useful for reversal film and digital photography;

4. Various clamp on meters, Leica MR-4 and Pentax Meter, for integration with camera that has no built-in meters;

5. Miniature meters, like Sekonic Twinmate L-208 and Voigtlander VC-2, are non-bulky and handy for taking casual reflective measurement;

6. Spot metering and average metering for Large Format metering can be taken at the film plane by Sinar Booster 1 (to use with Minolta Flashmeter IV) and Horseman Exposure Meter 45 respectively. This is particular useful for macro-work where bellow factor can be forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amoebahydra wrote:
I use all these for different purposes.

1. Color meter, Gossen Sixticolor and Minolta Color Meter II, for checking correct color temperature and correct color correction filters required. This is particular useful for color reversal film shot;

2. Spot meter, Minolta spotmeter, for visualizing contrast of the scene. This is particular useful if you use Adams Andsel's Zone System;

3. General purpose exposure meter, Minolta flash meter IV and Sekonic L608, these meters can take incident reading as well as reflective reading. The incident reading is taken to the subject and making use of dome to reduce exposure by 2 stops, this is particular useful for reversal film and digital photography;

4. Various clamp on meters, Leica MR-4 and Pentax Meter, for integration with camera that has no built-in meters;

5. Miniature meters, like Sekonic Twinmate L-208 and Voigtlander VC-2, are non-bulky and handy for taking casual reflective measurement;

6. Spot metering and average metering for Large Format metering can be taken at the film plane by Sinar Booster 1 (to use with Minolta Flashmeter IV) and Horseman Exposure Meter 45 respectively. This is particular useful for macro-work where bellow factor can be forgotten.

Yep, I think you have it pretty well covered Shocked

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found for me best light meter an another camera with built in light meter Confused currently I dedicated as light meter a Konica FS-1 body with 50mm lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with available light, not too complicated to do with f/16 rule as long as there's no flash involved. I have the Voigtländer VC Meter II, http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=971&PT_ID=292 which is very handy on the meterless rangefinders (Zeiss Super Ikonta, Ikonta and Leica M4-2)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amoebahydra> That's an impressive collection.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Meter, invercone, ND filter (not used on later models), and two cases (one for the meter alone, one for the meter plus cone and filter).

The only downside is that it's calibrated in Weston values, which is easy to convert (0.8 x ASA)

I thought the Weston III film speeds were actually ASA values, even if it still said Weston on the meter. Not that it makes much difference - !

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favourite light meter Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

I still use a Weston V and a Weston EuroMaster - both read exactly the same and work fine with slide film. Westons seem to give a 'lean' reading which is exactly what you need with reversal material. And digital.

And I have a 1960 vintage Zeiss Ikophot which gives a 'generous' reading which is good for colour neg films. It has a really lovely leather case - I wonder who made those cases?

I also have a cds Metrastar which has a built-in viewfinder and reads on about the same angle of coverage as a 135mm lens on 35mm fullframe (ca. 18 degrees). It's very good, but uses the old mercury PX 625 battery.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been let down once by the readings of my Gossen meters.

However I am also using a Sekonic Twinmate L-208 for it's small size and portability. I don't trust it as my Gossens, but for negative B&W and colour, coupled with my experience, is surely enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
However I am also using a Sekonic Twinmate L-208 for it's small size and portability. I don't trust it as my Gossens, but for negative B&W and colour, coupled with my experience, is surely enough.

I hear that reflective metering is inaccurate with the Twinmate. Is this your finding too?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my two Gossens - the wee Pilot in its grey case, and a Luna Lux SBC with the big 9v battery. It has a simplistic over/on/under set of lights but works well. The Pilot is cute but mainly is good for daylight.

Typically I take a couple of baseline readings and then use dead reckoning for the rest of the time. A habit I got into with the Pen FT.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favourite light meter Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

The main meter is a Luna SBC Pro - dead reliable and no oddball unobtainable batteries, a standard 9v PP3, as was fitted to millions of tranny radios.
Otherwise - a pair of old batteryless selenium meters; a Hanimex Sekonic and a Horvex 2. Both of which are within half a stop of the Luna - not bad for 50 year old cells.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Orio wrote:

I hear that reflective metering is inaccurate with the Twinmate. Is this your finding too?

Mine is working perfectly, however, you must be aware of where the meter point to. The meter has indication showing the metering direction and you have to point a little bit downward in order to prevent direct sunlight falling to the sensor.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Orio wrote:

I can not tell yet, I will let you know after some more rolls.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Weston Master V since 1964. It was repaired once, about ten years later, to free a sticking needle. Since then, it has worked reliably and constantly. It gives the same reflected light readings as my Sekonic L308. I use it mostly in incident light mode, and choose it before any other meter. In fact, the only reason I got the Sekonic is because the Westons aren't all that good at measuring flash.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got three lightmeters:

- Porst Junior (a very compact battery powered one - 70s - works well, nice!)
- EAW Fotolux II (very old - early 60s - no battery but surprisingly enough it still works Shocked But to be honest I do not completely trust it.)
- Gossen LunaSix 3 (works perfectly! I completely trust it.)

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I've just added a Lenningrad 4 to my collection.

I hate this site! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAAAAA, something else to collect Laughing

I like the little Lenningrad meters, simple and always seem to work. Did you get the little opal incidence snap-on with it?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

- EAW Fotolux II (very old - early 60s - no battery but surprisingly enough it still works Shocked But to be honest I do not completely trust it.)
- Gossen LunaSix 3 (works perfectly! I complete trust it.)

Which battery do you use for Lunasix ?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:

Help me!

I like the little Lenningrad meters, simple and always seem to work. Did you get the little opal incidence snap-on with it?[/quote]

Yes, it has the white doofer I believe. Though I though the opal cover would be for reflective metering?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

- Gossen LunaSix 3 (works perfectly! I complete trust it.)

Which battery do you use for Lunasix ?

UCAR EPX625G

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Help me!

I like the little Lenningrad meters, simple and always seem to work. Did you get the little opal incidence snap-on with it?

Yes, it has the white doofer I believe. Though I though the opal cover would be for reflective metering?[/quote]

That's the equiv. of an Invercone on a Weston Wink