Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. What's the procedure?

tomasg wrote:
I saw this Helios on a "local" flea website for 35,00 eur and told myself it could look nice after a CLA, so i bought it despite the fact i don t own a mirrorless camera yet. I even had to order online the M39 to M42 adapter rings just to be able to mount it on my Nikon D700 Smile
After a complete CLA done by myself i think it looks good now.

As bought:

and after my CLA:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you OH!

Edri, i used steel wool of "00" (double zero) grain. To speed up things a bit of polishing paste added to the wool helps. Of course i dismanteled the lens first.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A high quality work. You can sell it as "rare new ..." Smile

tomasg wrote:
Thank you OH!

Edri, i used steel wool of "00" (double zero) grain. To speed up things a bit of polishing paste added to the wool helps. Of course i dismanteled the lens first.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon new FD 4/80-200mm L and Canon new FD 5.6/100-300mm L Wink
Apart from the Canon new FD 1.8/200mm L (1989), these two zooms were the last lenses introduced for the FD system (1985, together with the nFD 4(28-85mm and the nFD 3.5-4.5/35-105mm "aspherical"). Both zooms have a Fluorite and an UD lens each, minimizing CAs and increasing contrast. A first, quick'n'dirty test gave good results, but not an overwhelming image quality (Minolta AF2.8/200mm is much better at f2.8 than the two zooms mentioned above at f5.6).

I' curious to see how the nFD 4/80-200L it compares to the legendary Carl Zeiss CY 3.5/70-210mm (1978).

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
I saw this Helios on a "local" flea website for 35,00 eur and told myself it could look nice after a CLA, so i bought it despite the fact i don t own a mirrorless camera yet. I even had to order online the M39 to M42 adapter rings just to be able to mount it on my Nikon D700 Smile
After a complete CLA done by myself i think it looks good now.

As bought:

and after my CLA:

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Beautiful result
OH

+1 It's like new now !
Congrats. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanx to everyone who commented! I did the same thing with a Mayer Trioplan and a Helios 40, now you should see that one! Smile

Tomas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Many thanx to everyone who commented! I did the same thing with a Mayer Trioplan and a Helios 40, now you should see that one! Smile

Tomas

A silver Helios-40 I presume. Wink
How did you achieve this mint result ?
Any tutorial somewhere ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
tomasg wrote:

Tomas

Any tutorial somewhere ?

I hope this is not going too mcuh off topic. Yes all three are silver/alu versions. I did took pictures as i worked on them, but with my phone and most are ruined by hand-shake. I didn t thought there would be so much interest in this. I think i can redo one of them and post it in the manteinance and cleaning section. I think there aren t many tutorials about how to open and clean the Trioplan, maybe it would be the right candidate?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Olivier wrote:
tomasg wrote:

Tomas

Any tutorial somewhere ?

I hope this is not going too mcuh off topic. Yes all three are silver/alu versions. I did took pictures as i worked on them, but with my phone and most are ruined by hand-shake. I didn t thought there would be so much interest in this. I think i can redo one of them and post it in the manteinance and cleaning section. I think there aren t many tutorials about how to open and clean the Trioplan, maybe it would be the right candidate?

That sounds perfect ! Like 1 small
Maybe give the link here when done. Wink

Last edited by Olivier on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:

and after my CLA:

look very nice!
how did you clean and polish it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris.
Have a read at previous messages.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Thank you OH!

Do you dissasemble the lens completely to minimize shavings getting inside?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Oliver that looks great! Like 1 small

I wonder if the parts were bare aluminum from the factory or if they were clear anodized. If they were clear anodized, one wouldn't expect them to get so corroded and dingy. The thing about polishing aluminum and leaving it be, is that you are leaving it exposed to oxodize, so it will look good for a time, but will eventually haze back up. The time which this happens depends on the environment, so a lens should have it fairly OK.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1kgcoffee wrote:
tomasg wrote:
Thank you OH!

Do you dissasemble the lens completely to minimize shavings getting inside?

Yes, the lens must be dissasembled to do a good job. It is possible to do a bit of polishing without that, but as you say, the shavings go everywhere. I also use gloves, a protective mask and glasses. I suggest to do it outdoor also, the steel wool it s not like the glass wool used for isolation, but still, better to minimize the exposure to it. Adding polishing paste or just few drops of water helps a lot also.

Tomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinw wrote:
Wow, Oliver that looks great! Like 1 small

I wonder if the parts were bare aluminum from the factory or if they were clear anodized. If they were clear anodized, one wouldn't expect them to get so corroded and dingy. The thing about polishing aluminum and leaving it be, is that you are leaving it exposed to oxodize, so it will look good for a time, but will eventually haze back up. The time which this happens depends on the environment, so a lens should have it fairly OK.

On the above lens that i polished, i am almost sure that the rings are made of aluminium, all the small dents still show the same material, no differences. My goal is actually to have a "satin" aluminium look, it s more homogeneus, the imperfections are much less visible, i really don t like the golssy chrome look. After a few days the lenses are already less glossy.

Tomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devinw.
Thanks but I didn't do it. Congrats go to Tomas who did it. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in love with this beast!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Devinw.
Thanks but I didn't do it. Congrats go to Tomas who did it. Wink

Oops!

Thomas, makes sense. I think it should do well to keep the satin look using this method then!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:

I do understand, Simon !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:

Be aware that it is quite radioactive! (at least several hundred times above background at close distance, but it might be even more)

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:

Be aware that it is quite radioactive! (at least several hundred times above background at close distance, but it might be even more)

Stephan

Thanks Stephan, I did not know that. If it's the same kind of radiation found with other lenses of the era, then I believe I will be quite safe, as long as I don't lick the elements. Which is a shame, as this lens is worth licking!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Apart from the Canon new FD 1.8/200mm L (1989), these two zooms were the last lenses introduced for the FD system (1985, together with the nFD 4(28-85mm and the nFD 3.5-4.5/35-105mm "aspherical"). Both zooms have a Fluorite and an UD lens each, minimizing CAs and increasing contrast. A first, quick'n'dirty test gave good results, but not an overwhelming image quality (Minolta AF2.8/200mm is much better at f2.8 than the two zooms mentioned above at f5.6).

I' curious to see how the nFD 4/80-200L it compares to the legendary Carl Zeiss CY 3.5/70-210mm (1978).

Stephan

I've heard very good things about the 80-200/4L, especially regarding CA correction (LaCA & LoCA).
I've been wondering whether it would be worth the additional size & weight as a replacement for my Minolta MD75-150/4.

EDIT:
The latest addition to my Canon nFD collection:

nFD 24mm f/2

The hood was rather hard to find (and overpriced but at least it came in mint condition with original packaging).
First observations: Somewhat low contrast at f/2 but quite good center sharpness, the corners need some stopping down to get sharp.
No noticable field curvature and distortion is very well controlled.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Stephan

I've heard very good things about the 80-200/4L, especially regarding CA correction (LaCA & LoCA).
I've been wondering whether it would be worth the additional size & weight as a replacement for my Minolta MD75-150/4.

From my first impression i'm a bit disappointed about general detail resolution in the outer areas and the corners. CA corrction seems to be very good - but in our digital age CAs can be corrected quite easily, whereas astigmatism and other monochromatic errors remain difficult to correct in PP. I don't have the nFD 80-200L here with me right now, and i certainly have to compare it more carfully with - eg - the Zeiss CY 3.5/70-210mm, the Minolta MD-III 4/70-210mm and, as a reference, with the Sony AL 2.8/70-200mm G. But certainly both the nFD 4/80-200L as well as the nFD 5.6/100-300L are not as good as i would have hoped for, in spite of their fluorite (!) and UD elements.

Boris_Akunin wrote:

EDIT:

nFD 24mm f/2

The hood was rather hard to find (and overpriced but at least it came in mint condition with original packaging).
First observations: Somewhat low contrast at f/2 but quite good center sharpness, the corners need some stopping down to get sharp.

Yep, pretty much what I have found as well. Certainly a nice and useful 24mm lens. And not overpriced for what it is delivering.

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Stephan

EDIT:

Wow, that looks like new old stock!