Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mm f1.8 Xenon in DKL mount.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Wow, that looks like new old stock!

Quite possible, the hood has a distinctly different finish than my other FD lens hoods.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Boris_Akunin"]
itsfozzy wrote:

Quite possible, the hood has a distinctly different finish than my other FD lens hoods.

I take great pleasure in picking up mint lenses. (and then using them).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Boris_Akunin wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:

The lens isn't in mint condition (I wish), only the hood (I bought it separately).
Canon used some parts that are rather susceptible to wear in the nFD lenses, the linkage between the focus ring and the helicoid tends to develop some play (my 28/2 & 24/2 have about 1mm of play in the focus ring but I barely notice it)
and the slide bearing holding the floating group in some lenses with floating elements (24/2, 28/2, 35/2) deteriorate over time.

My 28/2 & 24/2 also seem to have a bit of the latter (something in the lens moves when I shake it) but I haven't been able to produce any noticable decentering, so it's probably not too bad. The corner sharpness of these lenses seems to vary quite a bit.
My 35/2 shows no signs of those issues and seems to be an excellent performer, my 28/2 isn't quite as good and the 24/2 probably isn't either (I'll do a similar comparison between my 24mm lenses when I find the time).

I don't know how good these lenses can be without those issues, it might make sense to have them serviced (at least the 24/2).
I don't think the outward appearance of the lens is a good indicator for those issues, certainly not for the slide bearings.

Last edited by Boris_Akunin on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:
Boris_Akunin wrote:
itsfozzy wrote:

The lens isn't in mint condition (I wish), only the hood (I bought it separately).
Canon used some arts that are rather susceptible to wear in the nFD lenses, the linkage between the focus ring and the helicoid tends to develop some play (my 28/2 & 24/2 have about 1mm of play in the focus ring but I barely notice it)
and the slide bearing holding the floating group in some lenses with floating elements (24/2, 28/2, 35/2) deteriorate over time.

My 28/2 & 24/2 also seem to have a bit of the latter (something in the lens moves when I shake it) but I haven't been able to produce any noticable decentering, so it's probably not too bad. The corner sharpness of these lenses seems to vary quite a bit.
My 35/2 shows no signs of those issues and seems to be an excellent performer, my 28/2 isn't quite as good and the 24/2 probably isn't either (I'll do a similar comparison between my 24mm lenses when I find the time).

I don't know how good these lenses can be without those issues, it might make sense to have them serviced (at least the 24/2).
I don't think the outward appearance of the lens is a good indicator for those issues, certainly not for the slide bearings.

I completely agree with you about not judging optical performance on the appearance of the body. I'd go so far to say that when buying a Soviet lens, I'd favour the one that looks like it's been very heavily used to a pristine, cased copy with its certificate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa was early for me, a Tessar and a Jupiter 9 for me.

This is already CLA:

I promise i ll do a tutorial now, i ll use this one:

For a change this one isn t too bad looking apart the yellowing on the aperture ring, but it needs a full lubrication. I ll post the tutorial in the mantenaince and cleaning section in a few days.

Tomas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Tomas

Congratulations!
I have the same Tessar, it is one of my favorite lenses.
Is the Jupiter 9 M42? I should save some money and buy one.
It is good that you have the skill and patience to fix your lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
tomasg wrote:
Tomas

Congratulations!

Thank you! It can be tricky at first to do it, but the satisfaction of it once its done is great! The Jupiter is in Kiev/Contax (Nikon S?) mount.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
uddhava wrote:
tomasg wrote:
Tomas

Congratulations!

Thank you! It can be tricky at first to do it, but the satisfaction of it once its done is great! The Jupiter is in Kiev/Contax (Nikon S?) mount.

Do you have a Kiev camera to use it on or are you collecting lenses for your mirrorless camera of the future?
I was thinking of doing the same. Wink
Problem is if I buy lenses for my future mirrorless camera, I never have enough money to buy the camera. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nittoh Kogaku Co. S Kominar-E 3.5/75mm
M39 Enlarger Lens via VNEX -> Sony A7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
tomasg wrote:
uddhava wrote:
tomasg wrote:
Tomas

Congratulations!

Do you have a Kiev camera to use it on or are you collecting lenses for your mirrorless camera of the future?
I was thinking of doing the same. Wink
Problem is if I buy lenses for my future mirrorless camera, I never have enough money to buy the camera. Rolling Eyes

Yes, i have the same plan! No Kiev camera, i got the lenses togheter for a very fair price. As you, i am also stuck in a loop Smile But since my D700 is working just fine i prefer to buy lenses while they are still at a reasonable pirices (well some at least). I remember i got the Trioplan some years ago for 150,00 eur i think, looking at the ones in the same condition as mine is now, they go for 650 - 700 eur, so who knows, maybe some of these lenses can be used in the future to fund a mirrorless body. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen Very crisp results from this tiny lens!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
wolfhansen Very crisp results from this tiny lens!

I agree, that's a great lens. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 300/5.6 ad-1 white version. Looks very cool!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huuuge.
I like it.
Do you find it good ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Huuuge.
I like it.
Do you find it good ?

no, the NX10 is tiny Smile

haven't had enough light to test yet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the first adaptall version - presumed to be optically the same as the adaptamatic. I like mine - yields little to the vaunted SP 54B 300mm stopped down.
The rubber grips are known for turning brittle with age - ok on yours kansalliskala ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
The rubber grips are known for turning brittle with age - ok on yours kansalliskala ?

The grip is quite hard. Different from the sticky ones I had with other ad-1 lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Century Paragon f1.5 5.5mm, a ruggedised lens for Hi-G testing, supposedly covers a 15.8mm image circle so will just and so cover the 1" sensor in my Nikon J1 where it will be a 15mm equivalent and give a FOV around 110 degrees.

These were very expensive when new, several thousand dollars. I paid 40. Smile

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Century Paragon f1.5 5.5mm

Are you sure it's not 55mm or 5.5cm?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question, of course it's 5.5mm, I know what I bought!

Century Paragon S00534 5.5mm f1.5 fixed focus

http://home.earthlink.net/~visinst/Lenses.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so silly, Ian. Wink
I have to confess I didn't know either that there were 5.5mm lenses. Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(C) WESTLICHT

ELCAN prototype UV lens f5.6/52mm (actually is a f2.8 but pre-stopped down to 5.6), only one ever made
by Ernst Leitz CANada.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral/Panagor 2.8/90mm Macro (a classical double gauss lens without floating elements, as far as i know), and a Vivitar/Kiron 2.8/100mm Macro (this one with floating elements). Both lenses go to 1:1 without adapter, and both feel very solid.
The Panagor is softer wide open, the Kiron (a legend) comes close to the Nikkor AF 2.8/100 Macro and to the Minolta AF 2.8/100mm Macro, at least in the "infinity" range. A nice find (i didn't look for them, but one was fro free and the other one for CHF 15.-- ... so i couldn't resist, as usual).

Stephan