Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML 55/2.8 macro. Any thoughts on this one?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have seen from it looks good. Interesting design a sonnar-like double gauss.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think that and many other macro lenses have much to do with asymmetrical triplet designs- if you want consistent performance close up as well as infinity, Double-gauss or other quasi symmetrical lenses are the way.

Front is D-Gauss but rear is abit trickier to pin down as seems to be the case with some vintage macro lenses.

I'm sure the related patent would clear it up. It looks like a Cooke Aviar-derived design, particularly the Zeiss Orthometar, but just because it looks like that doesn't make it that. Particularly when you have a Double Gauss front your rear section needs to work in roughly similar way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an older design my expectations of the lens at infinity is not too high. I'm curious about close focus performance though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an edit, if you go up to 180mm the macro lenses do start to look like asymmetrical triplet Sonnars, but that's to be expected. The flange distance of a Double Gauss lens at that focal length would be quite long indeed for a 35mm SLR.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
What I have seen from it looks good. Interesting design a sonnar-like double gauss.

Very similar to Nikon EL Nikkor 50mm F2.8 enlarger lens:

from: http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Nikon_EL-Nikkor_lenses/00_pag.htm

IMO, these lenses are a hybrid of a Double-Gauss and a Plasmat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

from: http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Nikon_EL-Nikkor_lenses/00_pag.htm

Interesting link Gerald. So, what I read from the.Translated website, is that this lens scheme corrects better for coma at large apertures than a classical Planar, and that the configuration is also used in the Canon SSC 50/3.5 macro.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Yashica ML 55/2.8 macro. Any thoughts on this one?

Got a copy and did some quick test shots. Sharp enough for me. Smile But haven't compared with all other 55mm macros.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this cunor 28 for cheap. It looks like the tokinas of that time. It has the caracteristic 47mm thread of that generation. There is a Soligor version ( https://picclick.com/Soligor-28mm-f28-Preset-M42-Screw-Mount-221228067607.html). Cunors seem to have been quite common in southern Africa. I have now 6 of them.
Edit: I see a similar lens mentionned here by Visualopsins:
http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-12-8-f28mm-21and-versions-t30866.html
But he mentions a T-mount while the Cunor has the 47mm to M42 mount.

The lens is in excellent condition except for a dent in the filter ring. Glass and all are very clean and working. Focus and aperture rings very smooth. Aperture has 8 blades. Min focus is 0,4 m which is nothing special for a 28. Interestingly the 8 on the actual aperture ring is missing. (collector rarity? 😅)
Center sharpness is good already WO but degrades quickly to the borders. Contrast is low as expected but not too bad. At f8 things are good enough for my taste to allow the use of that lens as a standard on my 1,6x dslr. Nothing special here and no hidden gem, but the overall condition makes it a pleasure to use. And maybe it's not so common.
Any suggestion as to the manufacture year more than welcome. 😊

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a Rokkor MC-II 55/1.7.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Meyer 58mm/1.9. Was listed a poor condition including possible damage in glass. Will see what I got.
Steinheil 135mm 2.8. Is black version less desireable than the silver version?
A Miranda 55mm 3.5 macro lens. Curious to see who made it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

If it is the Miranda Macron, then I think it was made by Miranda themselves.
It is somewhat rare and sought after by Miranda collectors
It is a very good lens
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

If it is the Miranda Macron, then I think it was made by Miranda themselves.
It is somewhat rare and sought after by Miranda collectors
It is a very good lens
Tom

Thanks Tom for the information. I happened to find one and just BIN'ed. Will test it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

(sellers pic)

speaking of Hexanons...

Looks like an F-mount lens, not an AR mount?

Certainly. Recently I came cross a Komura with this sort of tab. Took me a while to figure out what mount that was. Haven't fount any ready available adapter for that. Fortunately, the Komura Uni mount is interchangeble, so I just took it from another lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Gerald wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Interesting link Gerald. So, what I read from the.Translated website, is that this lens scheme corrects better for coma at large apertures than a classical Planar, and that the configuration is also used in the Canon SSC 50/3.5 macro.

To me that optical design is a hybrid between Planar and Plasmat. Similar designs are found in the Canon EF STM 40mm 2.8 and the Nikkor 80mm 2.8 of the Plaubel Makina. Reversed though. In fact the Meyer Makro Plasmats already had that hybrid design.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, front half is a Planar, rear half is a Plasmat.

Just one of many evolutions the original Planar/double gauss scheme underwent, leading to a whole 'family tree' of lens designs:

The actual half-Planar half-Plasmat design can be credited to Dr. Paul Rudolph who used it to create his Kleinbild (Miniature) Plasmat, a rather rare lens:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Pentina leaf shutter SLR which came with the Tessar standard lens and a Meyer 135mm lens, so have been on the lookout for a wide angle lens to complete the set as it were. New listings for Pentina lenses are few and far between.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new bargain. With many Russian lenses you can determine the production year of the lens by the serial number, namely the first two digits. With this lens the serial number starts with 00. The year 2000 is not possible because its production stopped in 1995. Isn't this statement correct for this one?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Plasmat is the term I was looking for/had in my mind- good links!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
A new bargain. With many Russian lenses you can determine the production year of the lens by the serial number, namely the first two digits. With this lens the serial number starts with 00. The year 2000 is not possible because its production stopped in 1995. Isn't this statement correct for this one?

From what I have read, Soviet-era serial numbers starting with one, two, or three zeros are from special quality control batches made before the start of general production. They were delivered to VIPs and high-ranking Party officials.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was bought as a komura 200 f3. 5 in M42 showed up as an m39 visio flex. My bad for assume Screw Mount was M42. Pretty rare but can't use it. Back up on evil bay correctly listed.[img]http://forum.mflenses.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
What was bought as a komura 200 f3. 5 in M42 showed up as an m39 visio flex. My bad for assume Screw Mount was M42. Pretty rare but can't use it. Back up on evil bay correctly listed.[img]http://forum.mflenses.com

Komura's have an interchangeable mount. Pick up another one (not a super-komura, that has a different interchangable mount system)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f2.8 7.7mm. Might be the widest lens I have played with...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that this projection lens you cobbled together? Interesting!!