Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to finally get my hands on the Mamiya SX 300mm f/5.6. I'm eager to try it out, as there is very little information on it on the web, nor any sample images that are shot with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a Contax 85/1.4

Sold part of my minolta kit for it (35/1.8 and 85/.17) but i think it was entirely worth it. The lens renders beautifully and I've already used it in two portrait / band shoots!

Nevertheless, something felt weird about spending 600 francs on a manual focus lens that is twice my age when I could have gotten an AF Sony 85 for less...

Anyway, here's my current C/Y lineup, pretty much as complete as I'd want it to be except something in the 17mm range (and maybe a 16mm fisheye).

Sigma 8/4 Fisheye
Yashica 21/3.5
Zeiss 28/2.8
Zeiss 35-70/3.4
Zeiss 50/1.4
Zeiss 85/1.4
Tamron 90/2.5 Macro
Zeiss 135/2.8
Vivitar 135/2.3

[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marius.zaech wrote:

Nevertheless, something felt weird about spending 600 francs on a manual focus lens that is twice my age when I could have gotten an AF Sony 85 for less...

The Zeiss will survive another generation. The Sony may not. Plus the Zeiss remains its value.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUNEX 185 degrees super-fisheye lens (Nikon mount) plus NADIR-holder, won auction for a spectacular low price...EUR150 Laugh 1

About the lens here: https://www.kenrockwell.com/sunex/super-fisheye.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Is that this projection lens you cobbled together? Interesting!!

This is a new one, the one I've been using is a 9.7mm.

This one sadly, turns out to have a fault - the coating/lens surface on one side of the front element has a mottled, slightly rough finish, something has happened to it and it makes the image smeary. Most annoying as the rest of the frame is sharp and well defined, with excellent CA and SA correction.

I'll have to keep looking for another projector of the same model to get another copy of this lens, shouldn't be too difficult or costly as I paid just a few pounds for this one.

You can see the left hand side is smeary while the right side is great.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marius.zaech wrote:
Finally got a Contax 85/1.4

Congratulations!

It's one of the smallest f1.4 portrait lenses I'm aware of - and certainly worth the price since it renders quite nicely, as far as I remember. It certainly handles pretty well - though maybe not as good as the Minolta MC-X 1.7/85 Wink. You know I'm a Minolta guy ... !

Some years ago I thought about buying a lot of a CY 1.4/35, CY 1.4/85 and CY 2.8/180. Of course they were not for free, and finally I decided against it (especially since these lenses would have been not better or even inferior [2.8/180] to my existing Minolta AF stuff. But collecting these CY lenses is fun in itself, and I guess the Planar 1.4/85 won't be your last CY lens. The 2.8/21mm, being a more modern construction, should be really good, though I have never used one. Or the 2/135 ... which I nearly bought last year, but just when I was about to get it I got an offer for a MD-III 2/135, and the Minolta won ...

S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Is that this projection lens you cobbled together? Interesting!!

This is a new one, the one I've been using is a 9.7mm.

This one sadly, turns out to have a fault - the coating/lens surface on one side of the front element has a mottled, slightly rough finish, something has happened to it and it makes the image smeary. Most annoying as the rest of the frame is sharp and well defined, with excellent CA and SA correction.

I'll have to keep looking for another projector of the same model to get another copy of this lens, shouldn't be too difficult or costly as I paid just a few pounds for this one.

You can see the left hand side is smeary while the right side is great.

Interesting, but yes, some issues on the left side of the frame. Also, from the earlier image of the lens itself I struggle to quite get my head around the shape of the external/internal surfaces of the front element.

That is some unusual block-work masonry on that building by the way. A bit like crazy-bricking as opposed to crazy-paving, but done neatly aligned... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

The front of the lens is typical for ultra short throw projection lenses - they are flat in the middle and curved on the sides, like a pie plate, I haven't seen a camera lens like it apart from a Fujinon Panomorph for CCTV use.

These diagrams show a couple of designs of this type of projector lens, they make extensive use ofaspherical surfaces, particularly among the large front elements whenrethe first three or four elements are usually aspherical.

Here's another pic of the clock tower, same lens, the left lower corner is a smeary mess.

Here you can really see the issue clearly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting- where did you find that diagram?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest lens in my collection: Oude Delft 180mm f/4.5 Alefar in ALPA mount. Judging by the styling it guess late 1950's or 1960's? Bought it out of sheer curiosity. Although it is made in Switzerland, Oude Delft is a Dutch company and I can see Delft from my balcony.

To be honest I wasn't expecting much from it, but my initial impression is that when you stop it down to f/8 it is quite usable.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

It was in this 2017 paper by Ricoh on new optics designed for ultra short throw projectors:

https://library.imaging.org/admin/apis/public/api/sandbox/website/downloadArticle/ei/29/18/art00012

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
eggplant wrote:

It was in this 2017 paper by Ricoh on new optics designed for ultra short throw projectors:

https://library.imaging.org/admin/apis/public/api/sandbox/website/downloadArticle/ei/29/18/art00012

Ah, nice- good find.

In other news, I finally joined the Leitz Colorplan projector lens club:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did very well indeed, just one of those Leitz lenses for 28 quid would have been a decent deal. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

In other news, I finally joined the Leitz Colorplan projector lens club:

I saw this one too. Congrats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

further to the post above on Alefar by Connloyalist.

Oude Delft supplied several lenses to the early (small bayonet) Alpa cameras. Ranging from one of the first SLR wides (the Minor) to their long catadioptics.

I have not fished out my Alefar from storage in order to see whether it is marked made in Switzerland, but as Pignons never made any optics, I expect it to be made in Holland. However, the Swiss firm Spectros also made Delft designed lenses, They are clearly marked as such.

p.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Series "E" Nikon 100mm f2.8
Other than a slight divot on the filter threads, I can find little wrong with it.

At infinity...

...And minimum focus distance.

No, it's definitely not a Nikkor- we'll get that cleared up right away.
It's a first variant "E", and has some favorable reviews for it's image taking ability.

The plastic on it is a detraction.
The focus ring turns a bit stiff- they did when new, so no real concern there.
The plastic aperture ring-uggghhh!
At least the clicks are positive, on the stiff turning ring.
As to the images, a few very hurried samples.

Fluorescent sign frame at f5.6.
Some slight pin cushion here, but not really noticeable unless you are looking for it. At a little over 100 ft.

Dirty windshield shot at MFD and f5.6. Close to the markings on barrel.

Hefty crop of the same image.

Purple Loose-strife growing under a dead jack-pine. f5.6.

Crop again.
Colors a bit on the muted side, but still interesting rendering.

What gets me about this lens is the dimunitive physical size.
It's not much bigger than the nikkor 28mm f3.5 A/I-s

-D.S.

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad for an "E" = ECONOMY lens!! Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so too.

It seems to have different coatings than the 50 f1.8 E, which I've had both iterations of, and did not like.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asahi Opt. Co., Super-Takumar 1:1.9 / 85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great one!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Tomorrow in the mail I should be getting a Fujinon TV 75mm f1.8 lens.

A truly superb lens, congrats.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
No, it's definitely not a Nikkor- we'll get that cleared up right away.
It's a first variant "E", and has some favorable reviews for it's image taking ability.

Yes, it may not be pretty but it produces very good images - probably the best of the Series E lenses.

The later version with the silver ring is not all that ugly, IMO.

The all-black version is delightfully ugly. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

Yes, it may not be pretty but it produces very good images - probably the best of the Series E lenses.

The later version with the silver ring is not all that ugly, IMO.

The all-black version is delightfully ugly. Wink

Thanks for the chuckle!
I had not considered it's appearance to be an asset.
My day got made!

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have acquired a couple more vintage telephotos. I had an example of the sankor made 400mm f5.9 in 2015 (see this thread ) but the rear element was hazed. This one is fine - unusual Amanda De Luxe nameplate, came with a real leather case. However the first pics I took were awful. Then I noticed the nameplate was scratched, and loose. Sure enough, I removed the front element, gave it a clean and replaced it the other way round - bingo.

I also bid on and won a rare(ish) tamron 400mm f8 to add to my little collection of tamron 1960's telephoto primes - soligor nameplate. This is actually different to the old web tamron archive listing see here - that looks like, but not quite the same, as the 400mm f7.5. This is a rather simple, basic lens, no hood or TM, probably 3 or 4 elements, non-preset aperture, 12 blade itris, MFD is too long at 10m. But resolution looks quite good.
I'll be adding some pics to my original sankor 400 thread.