Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned in another thread that I picked up one of these (used) a couple weeks ago.

I haven't measured, but I estimate it to be slightly smaller and slightly lighter than a Helios-40-2, which means it still pretty heavy. The 11-bladed iris is extremely nice. It's surprisingly sharp wide open, but the focal plane is so thin it helps a lot to keep your subject at a bit of a distance. Turns out it's an excellent landscape lens too, as it's wonderfully sharp and clear at f/8. Performance declines quickly beyond F/8, so if you're going to shoot with the aperture that small, you might as well use a smaller, lighter, cheaper lens.

I'm very pleased.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I mentioned in another thread that I picked up one of these (used) a couple weeks ago.

I haven't measured, but I estimate it to be slightly smaller and slightly lighter than a Helios-40-2, which means it still pretty heavy. The 11-bladed iris is extremely nice. It's surprisingly sharp wide open, but the focal plane is so thin it helps a lot to keep your subject at a bit of a distance. Turns out it's an excellent landscape lens too, as it's wonderfully sharp and clear at f/8. Performance declines quickly beyond F/8, so if you're going to shoot with the aperture that small, you might as well use a smaller, lighter, cheaper lens.

I'm very pleased.

It will be my choice too if I need a manual 85mm F1.2. Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoom Nikkor AiS 3.5-4.5/28-85mm, here mounted on my Nikon F3. It is a well made full-metal lens (even if Richard Haw complains about it having a zoom ring and an aperture ring made of plastics: mine doesn't!! Everything real metal!). I have already two samples of the corresponding AF lens (which should have the same optical computation). However, both AF lenses are visibly de-centered (i mean visibly ... not just pixel peeping!), and so I still don't know the real performance of the 28-85mm Nikkor. It will be really interesting to compare it to the Miniolta MD/AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm! Both lenses - the Nikkor and the Minolta - have quite a few similarities, but certainly are different computations. There's also the Canon nFD 4/28-85mm, another interesting lens which doesn't perform as well as the Minolta.

S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

I'm very pleased.

Nice one. Full frame? Focusing is challenging, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Zoom Nikkor AiS 3.5-4.5/28-85mm, here mounted on my Nikon F3. It is a well made full-metal lens (even if Richard Haw complains about it having a zoom ring and an aperture ring made of plastics: mine doesn't!! Everything real metal!). I have already two samples of the corresponding AF lens (which should have the same optical computation). However, both AF lenses are visibly de-centered (i mean visibly ... not just pixel peeping!), and so I still don't know the real performance of the 28-85mm Nikkor. It will be really interesting to compare it to the Miniolta MD/AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm! Both lenses - the Nikkor and the Minolta - have quite a few similarities, but certainly are different computations. There's also the Canon nFD 4/28-85mm, another interesting lens which doesn't perform as well as the Minolta.

S

Looks good! Don't know whether you have Kiron 28-85 to compare with. I don't own any major names in this focal range, only the Kiron 28-85 and Vivitar 28-90.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

I'm very pleased.

Looks interesting indeed; do show results if you you may!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

Looks good! Don't know whether you have Kiron 28-85 to compare with. I don't own any major names in this focal range, only the Kiron 28-85 and Vivitar 28-90.

Had two copies of the MD 28-85 and sold them. Sharpness and contrast were crazy good in the center and to a certain extent at the periphery of the frame but field curvature was huge under 35 mm and, to a certain extent above 60mm. Maybe my copies.

So I had the feeling that it was an excellent lens for 3D subjects but completely inappropriate for landscapes. I consider the usefulness of a 28 85 as the one lens does it all so the situation where I want to travel light, without fuss and changing lenses, typically for tourism. And here I need to be able to shoot landscapes and architecture and this lens did not work for me.

The Tamron 27A, although inferior in some aspects has a much flatter field and better suited my needs.

I would gladly experiment another 28 85, be it Minolta, Kiron or Vivitar if these problems were specific to my copies.

I also bought and sold a FDn 28-85 which field was tilted. I am sure it can be a fine lens but no luck. I did not like the construction and unless you have a nice copy without bearing problems after which you could take care it does not seem to be to be able to take a lot of abuse.

Happy to hear about fellow's opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

S

I have both the Minolta MD 28-85 mm (well decentered) and the Canon nFD 28-85 mm, and having briefly compared them, I found that the Canon has a better IQ while other testers of the two lenses might disagree. BTW, the Canon FD 28-85 mm was considered by the testers of the French magazine "Chasseur d'images" as being clearly the best lens of the 28-80/28-85 mm range in the mid 80's. Note that the Canon FD has the dreaded slide bearing problems and the back has plastic parts which break easily at the slightest impact. But if you can get a good copy (which means without the mentionned problems) it will be of good use as a "walk-around" lens since it offers very good sharpness throughout the frame one stop closed (tested with A7/A7R bodies)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was on a roll.
I bought 43 lenses in total, in less then 1 hour (yes I know, this sounds a lot like bragging, hahaha).

These lenses came in 7 different lots.
I was lucky with my bids and I kept on being lucky.
But I have to admit that a lot of rubbish-zoom-lenses were a part of them.

One of the lenses that I bought is a Sigma 12mm f/8 fish eye, though.

I am really looking forward to test that one.

Last edited by Lucse on Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Zoom Nikkor AiS 3.5-4.5/28-85mm,
S

There are quite a few actually, e. g.
- Canon nFD 4/28-85mm
- Minolta MD/AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm
- Nikkor AiS/AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm
- Olympus Zuiko 3.5-4.5/28-85mm
- Tokina 4/28-85mm and AT-X 3.5-4.5/28-85mm
- Yashica ML 3.4-4.5/28-85mm
- Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar CY 28-85mm

lumens pixel wrote:

Had two copies of the MD 28-85 and sold them. Sharpness and contrast were crazy good in the center and to a certain extent at the periphery of the frame but field curvature was huge under 35 mm and, to a certain extent above 60mm. Maybe my copies.

In my "Sony Alpha Full Frame" book (2010) I've been saying similar things - good center and bad corners at 28 and 35mm, but reasonable at 50mm and good at 85mm.

lumens pixel wrote:

So I had the feeling that it was an excellent lens for 3D subjects but completely inappropriate for landscapes. I consider the usefulness of a 28 85 as the one lens does it all so the situation where I want to travel light, without fuss and changing lenses, typically for tourism. And here I need to be able to shoot landscapes and architecture and this lens did not work for me.

The Tamron 27A, although inferior in some aspects has a much flatter field and better suited my needs.

I would gladly experiment another 28 85, be it Minolta, Kiron or Vivitar if these problems were specific to my copies.

I also bought and sold a FDn 28-85 which field was tilted. I am sure it can be a fine lens but no luck. I did not like the construction and unless you have a nice copy without bearing problems after which you could take care it does not seem to be to be able to take a lot of abuse.

Midrange zooms are notoriously difficult to construct, I was told in 2010 by the (then) head of lens computing at Sony, and so says Haruo Sato (Nikon lens designer): For a wideangle zoom you choose the "retrofous" design, for a telezoom the "tele" design, but in between?? One of the extremes (either tele or wideangle side) will always have problems.

lumens pixel wrote:

I have the Nikkor 28-85mm lens with me today Wink

Alsatian2017 wrote:

I have both the Minolta MD 28-85 mm (well decentered) and the Canon nFD 28-85 mm, and having briefly compared them, I found that the Canon has a better IQ while other testers of the two lenses might disagree. BTW, the Canon FD 28-85 mm was considered by the testers of the French magazine "Chasseur d'images" as being clearly the best lens of the 28-80/28-85 mm range in the mid 80's. Note that the Canon FD has the dreaded slide bearing problems and the back has plastic parts which break easily at the slightest impact. But if you can get a good copy (which means without the mentionned problems) it will be of good use as a "walk-around" lens since it offers very good sharpness throughout the frame one stop closed (tested with A7/A7R bodies)

I quickly tested my nFD 4/28-85mm when it arrived, and I wasn't happy with it - so it ended up on the shelve. I'm curious to compare the three CaMiNikon lenses, though ... but probably none of them will be stellar! Even the Zeiss CY 28-85mm (which is a monster lens) is said to be inferior to the Zeiss CY 35-70mm!

S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting comments since I wondered if I had no luck or if it is a conceptual problem. Meanwhile I can only enjoy my MD 35 70 3,5 and my FD 35 70 f4.

A good copy of the 27A remains of interest.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as clean as described but it was only €8.....
MC Revuenon 240mm 1:4.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

MC Revuenon 240mm 1:4.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

The camera is probably a Praktica. Shutter releases when cocked, but that was in the description. The lens is pretty dirty for a description that said In good order and free from fungus, dirt and scratches. I can't see scratches but they may be under the dirt and fungus :p.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

Today, I've been shooting a bit with my "new" Nikkor AiS 3.5-4.5/28-85mm, using the Sony A7RII (43 MP) full frame camera. At f=28mm the lateral CAs are really hefty, be it wide open or at f11. There are some problems with overall resolution both at f3.5 and at f5.6 (but remember, we're testing at 43 MP). At f11 most of the image is pretty nice if you remove CAs.

At f=50mm things look much better. There are verly few CAs, compared to f=28mm. There's some field curvature, but at f11 the image looks pretty clean.

At f=85mm the image looks pretty nice already at wide open (f4.5), though contrast is a bit low. At f11 the entire image looks surprisingly good, but - compared to a modern 85mm prime - some resolution is missing.

Over all, the Nikkor AiS seems to behave pretty similar to the Minolta MD/AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm. The Minolta has probably a better center reolution & contrast, especially at f=28mm, and the Nikkor may have better corners, also at f=28mm.

A side-by-side comparison will reveal mor details.

S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
It will be my choice too if I need a manual 85mm F1.2. Like 1

Like 1

vivaldibow wrote:
Nice one. Full frame? Focusing is challenging, I guess.

It's a full frame lens, yes, in Nikon F mount. Even though it comes in Fuji X mount, I chose F because I already have a lot of F mount lenses and I figure I'll always be able to adapt Nikon F to any mirrorless camera I may get in the future. Even if I were to get a GFX or a Nikon Z or whatever else, I would only need a new adapter.

Focusing at 1.2 is surprisingly easy. This lens is a gem with focus peaking. Without focus peaking it would be pretty difficult though.

kds315* wrote:
Looks interesting indeed; do show results if you you may!!

Sure! There's already a thread for it, so I'll post a couple images.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

Today, I've been shooting a bit with my "new" Nikkor AiS 3.5-4.5/28-85mm, using the Sony A7RII (43 MP) full frame camera. At f=28mm the lateral CAs are really hefty, be it wide open or at f11. There are some problems with overall resolution both at f3.5 and at f5.6 (but remember, we're testing at 43 MP). At f11 most of the image is pretty nice if you remove CAs.

At f=50mm things look much better. There are verly few CAs, compared to f=28mm. There's some field curvature, but at f11 the image looks pretty clean.

At f=85mm the image looks pretty nice already at wide open (f4.5), though contrast is a bit low. At f11 the entire image looks surprisingly good, but - compared to a modern 85mm prime - some resolution is missing.

Over all, the Nikkor AiS seems to behave pretty similar to the Minolta MD/AF 3.5-4.5/28-85mm. The Minolta has probably a better center reolution & contrast, especially at f=28mm, and the Nikkor may have better corners, also at f=28mm.

A side-by-side comparison will reveal mor details.

S

Interesting, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Alsatian2017 wrote:

I have both the Minolta MD 28-85 mm (well decentered) and the Canon nFD 28-85 mm, and having briefly compared them, I found that the Canon has a better IQ while other testers of the two lenses might disagree. BTW, the Canon FD 28-85 mm was considered by the testers of the French magazine "Chasseur d'images" as being clearly the best lens of the 28-80/28-85 mm range in the mid '80. Note that the Canon FD has the dreaded slide bearing problems and the back has plastic parts that break easily at the slightest impact. But if you can get a good copy (which means without the mentioned problems) it will be of good use as a "walk-around" lens since it offers very good sharpness throughout the frame one-stop closed (tested with A7/A7R bodies)

I quickly tested my nFD 4/28-85mm when it arrived, and I wasn't happy with it - so it ended up on the shelve. I'm curious to compare the three CaMiNikon lenses, though ... but probably none of them will be stellar! Even the Zeiss CY 28-85mm (which is a monster lens) is said to be inferior to the Zeiss CY 35-70mm!

S

I strongly suspect Your nFD 28-85 mm f/4 has one of the mechanical problems mentioned - a ripped back plate or melted slide bearings can heavily alter the performance of this lens. I had to entirely disassemble, fix, and reassemble the sample that I still have in order to reestablish its excellent optical properties. BTW, I never test a lens after having given it an overhaul, due to the (systematic) bearing problem nowadays there aren't any Canon lenses equipped with a floating element or two ring zoom design having preserved the original optical performances Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:

I strongly suspect Your nFD 28-85 mm f/4 has one of the mechanical problems mentioned - a ripped back plate or melted slide bearings can heavily alter the performance of this lens.

No rippled back, for sure - but the slide bearings may well have dissoved themselves ...

Alsatian2017 wrote:

I had to entirely disassemble, fix, and reassemble the sample that I still have in order to reestablish its excellent optical properties.

Would you mind to open a new thread and post some images, or at least drop a few lines about how to proceed? It's always way easier if one has a bit of help, especially sind I've never opened a Canon nFD zoom lens ...

Alsatian2017 wrote:

BTW, I never test a lens after having given it an overhaul

I wouldn't mind publishing results, provided there's a clear statement that the lens had been dimantled and the slide bearings replaced.

S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, this is my first post here, though I’ve used it as a resource for years. Today I took delivery of a Zeiss c/y 300/4 tele-tessar. I’ve not owned a lens this long before, but I own a half dozen other lenses in the Zeiss c/y collection. I snapped a few shots today before the rain started. While I missed the exposure in the shot, a little lift in LR helped correct it. And I love the b&w conversion. This lens will certainly have a learning curve for me, as the focus throw is longer than I’m accustomed to, however these first tests suggest to me that it’ll be worth the investment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neokind wrote:
Hey all, this is my first post here, though I’ve used it as a resource for years. Today I took delivery of a Zeiss c/y 300/4 tele-tessar. I’ve not owned a lens this long before, but I own a half dozen other lenses in the Zeiss c/y collection. I snapped a few shots today before the rain started. While I missed the exposure in the shot, a little lift in LR helped correct it. And I love the b&w conversion. This lens will certainly have a learning curve for me, as the focus throw is longer than I’m accustomed to, however these first tests suggest to me that it’ll be worth the investment.

It certainly looks promising

Mine is a Jupiter 3 from 1952 with Ukrainian adapter
T

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

T

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neokind wrote:

Hi, welcome to the forum!
I was born and raised in Fullerton California.
I didn't know there was a 300mm Tele-tessar lens. I have wanted a 200mm version for a
long time, but never bought one.
Nice photos. I hope you will post some photos taken when the weather is sunny.
I am curious to see the colors you will get.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neokind wrote:

Like Like 1 .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

How do you like the adapter? I've thought about getting one.