Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Gott23 wrote:
Today's post was a bit special..

Why Gott?

Try finding another last model Flektogon 35/2.8.. 😁

Apparently they were only built for a year (in 76-77 IIRC) before being ditched in favour of the 35/2.4 version.

East German efficiency at its best? 😂

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

I can see three of them on eBay right now Cool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
Gott23 wrote:

I can see three of them on eBay right now Cool

Damn you exclusivity! 😂

I stand relatively corrected then. 😁

It is a weird design though, sporting the 70s Pentacon style (a la The electric MC 50 etc) but clinging onto the Exakta mount still.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in addition to that I took a chance on an old Kodak Retina S on the proviso that I'd be paying not much more than the cost of a Kodak lens hood for a retina lens.. That's if it worked..

Of course I was a touch blasé about the fact it came with a Rodenstock lens.. 🤣

So it's a Rodenstock Retina Ysarex 50mm f2.8.

So here's a few shots of how well it handles light.. I pretty impressed by the colours as well. These are unprocessed other than a crop. Jpegs shot with the XH1's standard provia filter. 100 @ f/8-f/11

Now for what is effectively given a 20 quid or less lens..... 🤣

To call it a bonus is an understatement as I've finally got a lens hood, filter and now know what filter/lens cap size I'm dealing with for the small Rodenstock dkl lenses.. They are sooo small and dainty, ergo absolute pains to handle with larger hands.. 😁

It does also mean the Eurygon 35/3.5 can spend more time on the camera now.. 😁📸

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

So it's a Rodenstock Retina Ysarex 50mm f2.8.

S'verry nice Like 1 . I'm a bit partial to these dkl lenses myself, but Rodenstock's usually go for a premium, so I've not got any... yet Smile . One day... Good to see what they can do.

I love the sheer sense of mass you get from #2. And the chiaroscuro takes the building back to smoke blackened Victorian times for me, although having said that, I remember stone buildings still smoke blackened in the 1970s/'80s. Then they invented power washers Wink . I wonder what #2 would look like in black and white.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 3.5-3.8/24-48mm R-Mount (Adaptall), fortunately with orig. Sunshade Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several older type chrome/black EL-Nikkors 5.6 80mm + 105mm intended for UV photography
as they work very well for that and with virtually no focus shift!

https://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2011/01/psychedelic-lilly-uv-and-vis-comparison.html

Psychedelic Lilly with EL-Nikkor 80mm

Psychedelic Lilly with EL-Nikkor 105mm

(these are UV-VIS differentials, a method I have developed to also show how much focus shift there is...)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

S'verry nice Like 1 . I'm a bit partial to these dkl lenses myself, but Rodenstock's usually go for a premium, so I've not got any... yet Smile . One day... Good to see what they can do.

Thanks!

They are weird lenses with regards to their design. They're so much smaller than the Schneider lenses I've got for the Retina and really would look more at home on a 50s rangefinder than an SLR..

From what little I've used them I've found them to be pretty sharp from wide open, highly saturated and tending to pull out blues and greens. As per the previous photos, you can see how well controlled shadows are. In short it feels a bit like shooting velvia..

Issues, I'd say mainly down to size. The focus slider is TINY. The lens element is quite exposed and id definitely recommend a filter, which is an annoying 32mm os something like that.. And then there's flare, so of course the lens hood is bespoke to these lenses. Hence why I jumped on that last retina I saw with a lens hood; screw the lens tbh.. 🤣

That'd been my main reason for not using them, too much exposed glass and it is small and delicate looking.. But now that's resolved.. 😁

Personally I love them: they're discreet, actually. Pretty smooth to focus and have some impressive visual characteristics. I've seen a few posts on other sites where ppl slate them without trying them. I just reckon they're just jealous schneider owners tbh.. 😂

Now I just need the ysarex 50/1.9 to fall into my lap.. 😭

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Several older type chrome/black EL-Nikkors 5.6 80mm + 105mm intended for UV photography
as they work very well for that...

These are beautiful! 👌

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:

Nice macro lens!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Nice macro lens!!

Yes, I've been trying to find one in good condition and for a reasonable price for ages!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:

Thanks!

They are weird lenses with ...

That's great info, Gott. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one - silver Jupiter-8 (M39) from 1958.
Came pretty much perfect optically (not a single scratch, mark, spot, dust particle, haze or fungus), but not very good mechanically and aesthetically - stiff focusing, misaligned aperture ring and just plain horribly dirty with leaked grease and heaven knows what else. Aperture assembly works very well though, and blades are clean.

Just upon arrival:

And after about five hours (in total) of disassembling, cleaning, degreasing, buffing, regreasing, reassembling and adjusting:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:
Came pretty much perfect optically (not a single scratch, mark, spot, dust particle, haze or fungus), but not very good mechanically and aesthetically - stiff focusing, misaligned aperture ring and just plain horribly dirty with leaked grease and heaven knows what else. Aperture assembly works very well though, and blades are clean.

Just upon arrival:

And after about five hours (in total) of disassembling, cleaning, degreasing, buffing, regreasing, reassembling and adjusting:

Very nice indeed.
Every lens I received from Russia or Ukraine had "that smell" .... very hard to define, like a cross between tank tread grease and years of tobacco smoke.
Good glass though.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen wrote:

Tamron 3.5-3.8/24-48mm R-Mount (Adaptall), fortunately with orig. Sunshade Laughing

i've always wondered why the adaptall-2 adapter has a setting for f/1.4, as far as i know they never made anything that fast for that mount... which is a bummer, i would love an adaptall-2 SP 50mm/1.4.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've always wondered why the adaptall-2 adapter has a setting for f/1.4, as far as i know they never made anything that fast for that mount... which is a bummer, i would love an adaptall-2 SP 50mm/1.4.[/quote]

That's a Kickstarter opportunity right there!

Oh, yeah, on topic I just bagged the Olympus 40mm f/2 & 85mm f/2 lenses from eBay. I'm now hoping for a bit of nice weather to coincide with free time so I can give them a spin.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just won auction for my very first rollei gear: a rolleiflex SL35 with what appears to be an actual west german Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.8 in QBM mount, very excited to see how it pans out

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added two after deciding that I would like to try some of the famous Nikkors designed for their rangefinder cameras - given I already have the SLR equivalents. I ended up getting a nice 105mm f2.5 in Nikon mount and two (yes, two) 135mm f3.5 chrome lenses. Why two? Well it was a glitch in eBay. I was following a couple of these and I received an offer of a discount on one of them from a seller. So I decided to hit "buy" and accept the discount. But for some reason the transaction did not go through. (Turns out it was because the seller was yet to specify postage costs in the discount deal and that prevented the payment being activated). In any event after some consideration I went ahead and bought the other one only to find out later that the original discounted one was now showing up in My eBay as having been bought by me but not yet paid for. I suppose I could have backed out of the deal given the glitch but decided to proceed figuring I could in any event sell it later. So I contacted the seller exlained the problem and he rectified whatever it was he had failed to do at his end.

Both lenses are superbly built - if anything the 135mm one being even sturdier than the 105mm.

Pics of the lenses below are from the internet (i.e. generic pics) and also a couple of my Flickr posts taken with the 105mm lens. They are fun to use and produce nice images.

Scene from Lunch Time in the Market by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Buying Flowers by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoyomaoz wrote:
I have added two after ...

Wow! They remind me of hyperrealism yoyomaoz. Quite an individual look you've got there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex TG wrote:

Just upon arrival:

-clipped-

-clipped-

That's very nice! What have you used to clean the exterior, such as any de-greaser or a specific type of brush? Any polishing?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
That's very nice!

Thank you!

Teemō wrote:
What have you used to clean the exterior, such as any de-greaser or a specific type of brush? Any polishing?

General cleaning with the toothbrush, hot water and soap (had to separate all the outer parts from the internals, of course), gentle polishing by hand with Dialux compounds (White for the buffing, then Blue for the silght finishing matting) and a cotton cloth/leather strap, final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEINHEIL CULMINAR 2,8/85mm in Leica thread mount

and

STEINHEIL MACRO-CASSARIT 3.5/50mm (sunken version, for bellows at infinity)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total