Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What lenses produce sun flares best (er...worst)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: What lenses produce sun flares best (er...worst)? Reply with quote

So...say someone liked getting sun/light flares sometimes. Are there any specific lenses that are notorious for producing (typically unwanted) flare, aside from just looking for non multi coated?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put an ISO400 film into a Vivtar Ultra Wide and Slim. At the right angle you get amazing circular flares! Check Flickr...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of the lenses I have, the MIR-1V comes to mind as very flare-prone. I don't remember the flares being particularly beautiful, though. =)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What lenses produce sun flares best (er...worst)? Reply with quote

haley wrote:
So...say someone liked getting sun/light flares sometimes. Are there any specific lenses that are notorious for producing (typically unwanted) flare, aside from just looking for non multi coated?

All Helios lenses do flare abundantly wide open. The Helios-40 (aluminium) is the worst of all in my experience. But one Helios-44-M-4 that I have comes really close.
My Biotar 75 too flares abundantly wide open if not protected with a lens hood. In fact it's the same lens design as the Helios.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my zeiss pancolar 20mm f2.8 produces really beautiful lens flare, stopped down to 4-8

worst is Industar-50-2 is looks like explosion or warp speed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it occurs to me... perhaps by flare you mean the iris ghosts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my zeiss pancolar 20mm f2.8 produces really beautiful lens flare, stopped down to 4-8

I think you mean Flektogon 20/2.8... it flares a lot !

Cheers
Tobias