Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Going to pick up a Canon 5D, how to check it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Going to pick up a Canon 5D, how to check it? Reply with quote

If everything goes well I'll be going to pick up a used Canon EOS 5D with grip tomorrow. I'm a Pentax fan and know everything about them, but Canon has lots of secrets for me.

So the question is: how should I check an used Canon 5D? Are there known weak points?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Spotmatic on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- bring laptop with you or have available computer near

- insert a loaded battery to verify that battery door locks ok and that powering in camera is ok

- mount an autofocus (bleah) lens to verify that lens mount is ok and that both the single and continuous autofocus modes work ok

- insert empty card and verify that card door is ok, card locks inside ok, and photos are saved ok

- make some shots to verify shutter is ok; use both slow and fast times

- photograph some detailed objects, then enlarge 100% on laptop to verify autofocus is precise

- photograph empty sky or white sheet of paper at full stopped down lens, then enlarge 100% on laptop to verify that sensor is not scratched

- if you see strange dirt looking more like scratch than round blob, then ask to clean sensor before buying; if after sensor cleaning strange scratch on photos of empty sky or white paper remain, then sensor is scratched - don't buy

- if camera has grip, verify that the buttons in the grip work ok

- typical defect of grips of 5D is that the grip does not lock well and batteries slightly move and do not feed camera. So try to photograph in all positions (with camera horizontal, vertical right, vertical left, and upside down) and verify that batteries feed camera in all positions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your superb reply, Orio! I will surely test everything you mentioned. Although I'm now scratching my head how I will test the AF function if I'm not planning to buy a Canon AF lens, ever... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully seller have one ! I cross my fingers! I wish to see you in FF club.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila! I'm glad to tell everyone on this forum that I got the 5D! Very Happy

First reaction: my Pentaxes are a lot better with regards to the user interface. Also, the ergonomics leave a lot to be desired (well, to me anyway). And there are no Pentax colors Sad

But the FF sensor is great! Finally my lenses are now behaving like they should, with a DOF I haven't seen in a long time (haven't touched film since 2000).

Here are the first results: first two with S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4; the last one with 80mm f/1.8 Pancolar; all at ISO 1000.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nice ones!! I am a bit envy ... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more tries... First three with Pancolar 80/1.8; last one with S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4. I haven't mastered the 5D yet, but that'll come soon enough Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! It's a fine camera, without doubt.

To me, the Canon controls were natural and it took a couple of days to get used to the Pentax layout, to the extent where I picked up the 10D and had to fiddle a bit to get back into Canon mode.
I solved this by customising the Pentax as close to the Canon as I could.
That Dremel came in useful after all. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Interesting topic because, I'm a Pentax fan contemplating a Canon FF for, perhaps, similar reasons as you-->throw all the manual focus lenses on it that it can take Very Happy I'm also very interested in TS-E 17mm f4L. Anyway, would like to know more about your new acquisition as you find out more yourself!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Rawhead!

But here are my first impressions.

- The dynamic range of the 5D looks somewhat limited when compared to my K10D.
- The display on the back of the camera is a joke. At least the colors on it look bad and washed out.

But it is FF and there's hardly any noise around ISO 1000 and up. Priceless!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another ISO 1000 shot (and no doubt the Meyer is a great lens):

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Here's another ISO 1000 shot (and no doubt the Meyer is a great lens):

Verrrrry nice! Being able to use a 100mm lens as a 100mm lens in terms of FOV as well as compression is really priceless. If only Canon FFs had built-in OIS Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Pentacon is a fantastic lens, but like all lenses, it only shines in the hand of excellent photographers. Congratulations for a memorable portrait!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, WOW indeed! Great shots!

It IS a nice thing to get the FoV you are expecting again. Wink

(And still, I am hesitating to spend so much money again...)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should take the 5D plunge Carsten.
If you sold half the lenses you don't favor, you could buy a nice mintish 5D .
And then "see" all of the lenses you do favor Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations.

I am waiting for my 20D shutter to completely die and the targeted replacement will be 5D or 5D2 (if I am lucky). I just need to use my Zuiko 21 to its full extent. Can't take the WA limitation from crop cam.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khidhir check your PM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
- bring laptop with you or have available computer near

- insert a loaded battery to verify that battery door locks ok and that powering in camera is ok

- mount an autofocus (bleah) lens to verify that lens mount is ok and that both the single and continuous autofocus modes work ok.......

Orio,
I just want you to know that your advice above is extremely valuable to me. Now I can buy a 5D with some confidence. Later this evening I'll check one out and hopefully buy it.
Before reading your post, I had planned to buy one unseen through Ebay.

/Erik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blunderstein wrote:

Orio,
I just want you to know that your advice above is extremely valuable to me. Now I can buy a 5D with some confidence. Later this evening I'll check one out and hopefully buy it.
Before reading your post, I had planned to buy one unseen through Ebay.
/Erik

I'm glad that I could be of help, Erik.
Let us know how it goes with your purchase.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Nerdvana... I'm now the happy owner of a 5D.

Unfortunately, this camera will make it even more obvious how much I lack when it comes to talent.

/Erik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blunderstein wrote:
Orio wrote:

Nerdvana... I'm now the happy owner of a 5D.

Unfortunately, this camera will make it even more obvious how much I lack when it comes to talent.

/Erik

LOL. You are sure that the problem is not the lack of talent but rather lack of confidence? I've seen superb photos from photographers who say that they are bad photographers Smile

Congratulations with your 5D! You are going to like it no doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Spotmatic, don't be shy and enjoy your new camera and most importantly, share with us the photographs!