Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Surprise lenses... (Now with exp. shots!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Carsten, when are you going to show us samples? Very Happy
We are samples-hungry people Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to you all for those excellent buys. Very Happy

I'm not a gambler and I don't usually take any risks on my buys, but I've had some very nice surprises.

Recently I bought a Kiron 28/2 (OM mount) and, although it was not indicated in the description of the item, the package came also with a 2x Oseck Teleconverter. I haven't tried the TC yet (nor the lens, because I'm still waiting fot the adapter), but for the price I payed - around 25€ - it was not a bad deal, I guess...

Some years ago, I bought a huge package of M42 lenses from ebay.fr and although I don't remember exactly the lenses that came inside it, I remember clearly that there was a very good condition SMC Takumar 55/2 that was not originally listed! All the other lenses were also in very good shape, so it was a pleasent surprise, but not a bargain as I paid around 100€ for the package.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
So Carsten, when are you going to show us samples? Very Happy
We are samples-hungry people Laughing

You're absolutely right, Orio. As soon as I get to it, you will see some...

BTW, what a fantastic new avatar you have!!! Shocked Wow!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Carsten!
I hope you will post many samples and some comparison shots between all those lenses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are some quick shots from today, 1.30 pm, not really the best time to shoot, but the only time I had. Sad

First, the Vivitar:
f4

100% crop, not sharpened

f5.6

100% crop, not sharpened

wide open, f2.0

100% crop, not sharpened

f8

Some barrel distortion but not bad (on a crop cam!), and some slight CA at high contrast edges.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the Tamron:

A comparable picture at f5.6:

Unfortunately with a slight camera shake.

Apple tree, f4

Wide open (f2.5)

100% crop, unsharpened, f2.5

Rose in a hedge: (I guess f4 or f5.6)

100% crop, unsharpened

The rose is badly exposed, I'm afraid. As I said, I rushed it a little.

Camera: EOS 350D, Av, ISO100, -0.66

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No colour correction or anything, just the big frames are a slighty resharpened after resizing, the crops are not sharpened at all.

Verdict: I am pretty impressed by both lenses, esp. by the Vivitar which is among the best 28mm lenses I have. But the Tamron is also surely one of my better lenses and very close to the top of my 135mm teles. The Tamron seems to produce a cooler cast and it seems to handle bokeh pretty well. It might become one of my favourite portrait lenses.
The bokeh the Vivitar paints is not bad for such a "cheap" wide angle and still it's pretty sharp, even when wide open.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Carsten, I am well impressed, especially by the Vivitar lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I have cleaned the lens (and lubricated the focal tube again). Now it works OK.
This is what the lens looks like:

The first test shot inside were not bad, but I need to get this lens outsides soon...

OK, here are some quick shots taken with the Pentaflex 1.8/50.

Cam: EOS 350D, ISO800

f2.8

100% crop, unsharpened

f1.8 (wide open)

100% crop, unsharpened

Sorry for exceeding the size limits. I just wanted to show these crops.

That's not too bad for such an old and extremely used lens (the mechanical condition is really bad...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is another inside shot, taken wirth the Vivitar 2.0/28 (@f2.0) on an EOS350D at ISO800:

There was just a window with a white curtain and three light bulbs that emitted some light.
I guess that's another reason why I like this lens a lot. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

show us better the pic that is on your office Wink
all those lenses are nice, they are all your favorites and they give exactly the same results when you test them Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
show us better the pic that is on your office Wink

Yes, that would perhaps be better. Wink

poilu wrote:
all those lenses are nice, they are all your favorites and they give exactly the same results when you test them Shocked

I don't really understand what you mean, I'm afraid.
These lenses are not all my favourites, my favourite prime list presently looks like that:

- Tokina 3.5/17
- Nikkor-N.C 2.8/24
- Vivitar 2.0/28 & Olympus Zuiko 3.5/28
- Leica Elmarit 2.8/35 & Nikkor-O 2.0/35
- Olympus Zuiko 1.4/50 & Takumar 1.4/50 & Pentax-M SMC 1.7/50
- Nikkor-S.C 1.2/55
- Nikkor-H 1.8/85
- Takumar 2.8/105
- Nikkor-Q.C 3.5/135 & Olympus Zuiko 3.5/135 & Tamron 2.5/135
- Telear-N 3.5/200 & Jupiter-21M 4/200
(You can see that the "new" Vivitar and Tamron have made it into the list, the Pentaflex and the Porst haven't.)

Then I have about 25 lenses that I also like. The rest, I could sell without breaking my heart. Wink

And I neither do think that the results all look alike. There are visible differences, but as I once have written,
the differencees between a very good and a (just) good lens are much smaller than one might expect.
If you really can see a problem in IQ that a lens produces, this lens is not really worth keeping (unless it is a collector's item or it won't sell for more than a couple of Euros).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
And here is another inside shot, taken wirth the Vivitar 2.0/28 (@f2.0) on an EOS350D at ISO800:
There was just a window with a white curtain and three light bulbs that emitted some light.
I guess that's another reason why I like this lens a lot. Wink

I don't know that you think buy I feel that wide and fast (f:1.4-f:2.0) lenses are producing a very 3D like pictures when used in certain conditions. Like Carsten's shot of his desk.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be true. In my experience, the best aperture for a 3D-effect is (among others) connected to the focal length and the distance to the subject.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my experience, I get the most volume effect with apertures between f/2.5 and f/4.5
Of course other factors must concur.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued by that mystery Praktica - might it be an LTL3 that escaped from the factory, unfinished?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I'm intrigued by that mystery Praktica - might it be an LTL3 that escaped from the factory, unfinished?

Yes, that's a strange cam. It seems to work fine (even the light meter), but I still need to find some info abou it...
A follow up: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,68993.html#68993