Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Surprise lenses... (Now with exp. shots!)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Surprise lenses... (Now with exp. shots!) Reply with quote

Hi, guys!

I have won some lenses (and a cam) on ebay yesterday. The thing is, I do not really know which lenses, they were badly described and shown in blurred pictures. I might be lucky, though...

OK, from a photographer to a collector to a gambler! Laughing

Last edited by LucisPictor on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The true is - I won several auction and I didn't know what I was paying for until parcels were opened. I was never disappointed. If you sacrifice $30-$40 for something what could be very hot item - It is not kind of stupidity. I don't play lotto, I am not gambling, I don't smoke. Instead of this I am buying photo equipment. Because I like to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me. I won a listing last night with incomplete description. It turn out to be a Super takumar 2/35mm among other lens he was selling for $40. I am hoping they are clean as I have received a lens or two with fungus when description is lacking. Good luck with yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten wrote:
I do not really know which lenses, I might be lucky

with little luck you might even find some AF Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!

Yess, this is our "game", often it works good.

Sometimes, the postman brings fungus, defect apertures and my greatest deal about 150€, the berolin fish eye, I am not able to sell it ( I am a "gentleman") , it is totally amiss.

But monday, the post(wo)man brings a soft-kuvert from Lithuania. It was a purchase by an ebay auction, i won it for 1€, no other was bidding.
The other side is, I payed for shipping 32€, I risked the loosing of this money, I was not shure, that a package will come.

It was a surprise, to get the lens so fast, and now - it´s new (15.5.1992) - I mean, it is not used and good stored , with manual in russia, a MIR1-B 37/2,8 5 glasses in 4groups and very competent.
I will report soon.

It´s like a game, Carsten, but allways winning is boring
(- look to the Austrian Soccer Team - those are never soggy - allways climbing to the unreachable Top Sad)

My failures by (on?) lenses is about 25%, I think, this is normal.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one interesting point:

Good and expensive lenses (zeiss flektogon, ultron) are mostly in the possession of peoples, they are knowing something about the bearing and care of optical treasures.

The risk, to get a ugly lens, is higher by low quality or cheaper lenses.

This is my experience.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Carsten wrote:
I do not really know which lenses, I might be lucky

with little luck you might even find some AF Very Happy

I am pretty sure about that. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got home after a visit to the local second hand shop, came back with a Praktika TL3, Pentacon 50mm/f1.8, Sunpack 1600 flash all in excellent condition in a long nose Cobra case. Opened it all up and there was a Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 Sonnar in a sock inside! All for the princely sum of £4.99, sometimes the lord just shines his light on us, Cant see me having a day like this for a while!

Last edited by Poolhall on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
I just got home after a visit to the local second hand shop, came back with a Prakctika TL3, Pentacon 50mm/f1.8, Sunpack 1600 flash all in excellent condition in a long nose Cobra case. Opened it all up and there was a Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 Sonnar in a sock inside! All for the princely sum of £4.99, sometimes the lord just shines his light on us, Cant see me having a day like this for a while!

I feel sick Shocked

Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks it dont happen too often so its nice
to have a bit of luck occasionally!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tomorrow should bring the Carl Zeiss Sonnar 5cm F1.5 "T" mystery lens. It's in a mount for a movie camera. I went by the engraving on the front ring, makes it look like a standard 35mm lens in a stange thread mount. Serial Number puts it at 1940, it's coated, and stops down to F22. I'm hoping it is a standard optics module that can be transferred to a J-3 LTM mount.

Anyway, for $35 it will be a neat conversation piece if it's Not!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Well, tomorrow should bring the Carl Zeiss Sonnar 5cm F1.5 "T" mystery lens. It's in a mount for a movie camera. I went by the engraving on the front ring, makes it look like a standard 35mm lens in a stange thread mount. Serial Number puts it at 1940, it's coated, and stops down to F22. I'm hoping it is a standard optics module that can be transferred to a J-3 LTM mount.

Anyway, for $35 it will be a neat conversation piece if it's Not!

This can be the bargain of the year!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5cm F1.5 "T" Sonnar arrived. It is a regular 35mm full-frame Sonnar in a custom housing, all-black. I'll get some photo's of it. I do not use Arriflex, so will probably adapt it for Leica. Not sure how yet! The whole unit "might" fit onto a Summitar focus mount that I have.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: The Lord Shineth??? Reply with quote

Trust me,

the fact that you get sonnars in socks and I get people's stinky feet is the Dark One's work, not the Lord's! lol

Well done, it's a great feeling,and makes up for the crap that sometimes comes our way...

Doug.

Poolhall wrote:
I just got home after a visit to the local second hand shop, came back with a Praktika TL3, Pentacon 50mm/f1.8, Sunpack 1600 flash all in excellent condition in a long nose Cobra case. Opened it all up and there was a Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 Sonnar in a sock inside! All for the princely sum of £4.99, sometimes the lord just shines his light on us, Cant see me having a day like this for a while!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Himself on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Poolhall wrote:
I just got home after a visit to the local second hand shop, came back with a Prakctika TL3, Pentacon 50mm/f1.8, Sunpack 1600 flash all in excellent condition in a long nose Cobra case. Opened it all up and there was a Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 Sonnar in a sock inside! All for the princely sum of £4.99, sometimes the lord just shines his light on us, Cant see me having a day like this for a while!

I feel sick Shocked

Congrats!

No congrats at all. Envy, envy, envy, Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Goddammit, a CZJ in a sock. Some people are really stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, even some pro photo sellers can be lazzy... thanks to one of them that has left a Flek 35/2.4 in a complete Fotosnaiper in case (minus the Zenit body) for 40 € at the Bièvres international french photo fair Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One package arrived today: a cam and two lenses.
The cam doesn't show any label or something, just a print "Made in G.D.R.". It looks a lot like my Praktica L2.
The strange thing is, it is rather dirty outside but very clean inside!
And the shutter seems to work perfectly.

One lens is a "Porst Automatic-Tele 2.8/135, a little dusty but otherwise fine. Looking at the letters it seems to be an older version.

And the other lens is a "Pentaflex Auto-Color 1.8/50". From the very bad picture on ebay, I was hoping to get a Zebra Pancolar, but it turned out to be this six-lenser which is a lens in the line of the Meyer Oreston 1.8/50 to the Pentacon Auto 1.8/50. Not too bad.
Unfortunately, the lens is in a very dirty condition and desperately needs a cleaning. The glass is fine, though. No fungus or scratches.

Well, I guess it's OK for €4,70 together! Wink

Now, I am wating for two other lenses. One of them, I hope, will be a Tamron SP 2.5/135. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cleaned the lens (and lubricated the focal tube again). Now it works OK.
This is what the lens looks like:

The first test shot inside were not bad, but I need to get this lens outsides soon...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
One package arrived today: a cam and two lenses.
The cam doesn't show any label or something, just a print "Made in G.D.R.". It looks a lot like my Praktica L2.
The strange thing is, it is rather dirty outside but very clean inside!
And the shutter seems to work perfectly.

One lens is a "Porst Automatic-Tele 2.8/135, a little dusty but otherwise fine. Looking at the letters it seems to be an older version.

And the other lens is a "Pentaflex Auto-Color 1.8/50". From the very bad picture on ebay, I was hoping to get a Zebra Pancolar, but it turned out to be this six-lenser which is a lens in the line of the Meyer Oreston 1.8/50 to the Pentacon Auto 1.8/50. Not too bad.
Unfortunately, the lens is in a very dirty condition and desperately needs a cleaning. The glass is fine, though. No fungus or scratches.

Well, I guess it's OK for €4,70 together! Wink

Now, I am wating for two other lenses. One of them, I hope, will be a Tamron SP 2.5/135. Wink

Congratulations for the lens and camera Smile Regarding the Pancolar, usually the Zeiss lenses were not relabeled , except that "aus Jena" one.
Pentacon instead had many names : Auto Revuenon, Pentor, Pentaflex (like yours), etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentaflex is the same as the Pentacon 50mm f1.8 that came with my Practika TL3 ,give it a go, I was very pleasantly surprised by it especially how close it will focus and it has , to my eyes anyway a nice deep colour rendition like all the Pentacon lenses I have

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! I am really happy! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The second package arrived today. When I opened it, I saw these well packed lenses:

Tamron 2.5/135 MC Close Focus in good to very good condition. The barrel shows some signs of usage but the lenses are very clean, apart from one little cleaning mark at the front element.

And a...

... Vivitar Wide Angle 2.0/28 MC Close Focus in a very good condition, almost mint. Due to the serial number (28....) it was built by Komine.

I have paid for both lenses AND shipping € 34,-!

Now, I can't wait to testshoot these two lenses... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, great lenses for a great price!

can't wait now to get back to Europe for some lens hunting. - Here in Japan there are mostly Takumars which I am well stocked with already, or very expensive Leica, Zeiss, Contax lenses for reangfinders which I had not looked into really..maybe something for the future?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Carsten, they're both gems. The Tamron would look 100 times better if you cleaned the rubber grips. They come off easily if you pick up one edge and roll them off. I cleaned mine with warm water, hand soap and a nail brush. Came up like new. Let them dry properly before you put back on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Congrats Carsten, they're both gems. The Tamron would look 100 times better if you cleaned the rubber grips. They come off easily if you pick up one edge and roll them off. I cleaned mine with warm water, hand soap and a nail brush. Came up like new. Let them dry properly before you put back on.

Excellent hint, Peter! Thanks.

Now, look at this "after" picture:

What a great idea, Peter! Thanks again.