Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Top of the Falls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Top of the Falls Reply with quote

I was following an old trail remnant that had not been maintained for about 20 years, to find my way to the head of the Wynoochee River basin. On the way, I scrambled up and over the top of a fine waterfall.

In this case, the clouds broke and the sun started to stream through the trees, lighting up the "void" where the waterfall was located. I liked the way the creek dropped off into "nothingness", and the difference between the dark and jungled creek bed and the bright open space below.

This might be "bright" for some, but keep in mind that this is the way my eyes saw it, and so I decided not to manipulate the photo. Sometimes it is good to just leave it alone.

This was a very remote position, and I could feel that it was "untouched" by mankind. I laid down my backpack and rested my head on it while I listened to the creek sounds of the low rumble of the waterfall. It was a nice few minutes of relaxation.

Pentax 645
Pentax-A 55/2.8 lens
Exposure unrecorded
Fuji Reala 100

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... astounding. These rays, I call them "the resurrection of Lazarus" Laughing it is very difficult to photograph them properly. You managed it great and I 100% share your vision about not forcing a photograph into something that it wasn't originally - I mean it's perfectly legit to do it, it just does not fit with what I look for.

The detail is amazing. This Pentax camera must be a great camera in holding the 120 film flat into position. It is so common with 120 film to have parts defocused because of unproper film tightening or holding - but, I always used cheap cameras - one day I dream to be able to afford a Contax 645 and take pictures like this myself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add a note about the composition, because it deserves it:

** PERFECT **

-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a template "Wow" I can't say anything else to your photography!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have a template "Wow" I can't say anything else to your photography!

Laughing

Yes, it's difficult to comment on Laurence pictures because so often they are so carefully executed and composed, you can't add anything but "wow" !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can add something

Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really Larry you should get a stipend from Washington state turistry for these lovely photos. Certainly they will see an influx of visitors Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshine find the right word, delicious!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no words to describe your pictures, Laurence, so I watch and enjoy them. Wonderful as usual...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the previous comments. WOW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really must find a way to publish some of thee laurence. Have you approached the Washington State Tourist Board? You should. Your pictures make me think I settled too far South

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote: This Pentax camera must be a great camera in holding the 120 film flat into position. It is so common with 120 film to have parts defocused because of unproper film tightening or holding -
Orio, the Pentax 645 film back tensioner is a fine design, and remember that the 6x4.5 area is quite a bit smaller than 6x6 or 6x7. Also, the way the film "tensions" through the rollers and spools in REALLY nice because it's a huge contribution to the flatness.
The Pentax lenses? As good on average as any I've every seen. Not quite up to par with some of your beautiful 35mm lenses, but still exquisitely sharp indeeed. In fact, the consensus among the camera club was that these Pentax-A lenses are "creamy and dreamy"!

Attila wrote: I have a template "Wow" I can't say anything else to your photography!
That's good enough for me, my friend!

Andy wrote: Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really Larry you should get a stipend from Washington state turistry for these lovely photos. Certainly they will see an influx of visitors.

Thank you so much! I feel good with that coming from you, as I totally respect your abilities for producing some beautiful images.

poilu wrote: sunshine find the right word, delicious!!!
I'll TAKE it! Perhaps since it's "delicious", make that an order to go...with ketchup!

Jes wrote: I've got no words to describe your pictures, Laurence, so I watch and enjoy them. Wonderful as usual...
Jes, that is just fine! All I need is acknowledgement that gives me an idea whether to "keep" or "throw" an image.

lahnet wrote: I agree with all the previous comments. WOW
As always, I love to receive your comments! And your website is wonderful!

patrick wrote: You really must find a way to publish some of thee laurence. Have you approached the Washington State Tourist Board? You should. Your pictures make me think I settled too far South
Haha! No, these are just for personal enjoyment, and to try to strive to become more consistent. But thank you for the complimentary words. I treasure them.

Thanks to all, you are a big help for me to get these scans completed (some day)...it's a rather daunting task. I've never really put my images up for public consumption, other than some on FredMiranda at times. This is the first time I've "scanned and posted" repeatedly. It is very encouraging to ascertain that others see some good shots, for the same ones that I feel "make the grade" for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running out of superlatives to describe your work - it's stunning as always.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply brilliant...I had enough trouble getting one of these shots to work with digital, had to use an ND filter in the end so kudos to you for doing it with film!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Laurence
Your Medium Format landscapes have me itching to get my hands on an MF camera again.

It's all your fault, you know that, don't you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence - I can't say anything innovative... as usual, beautiful photo Cool What a magical place!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confess Laurence, you work for the Washington Tourist Office, and your purpose is to bring us all there... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
Confess Laurence, you work for the Washington Tourist Office, and your purpose is to bring us all there... Laughing

Come on over! There's plenty of photo opportunities! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Juanma wrote:

Come on over! There's plenty of photo opportunities! Very Happy Very Happy

Don't forget the chinese saying: Careful what you wish, you might just get it... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A professional shot of a magical place!