Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina AT-X 2.5/90mm "The Bokina II"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetulio wrote:
jetulio wrote:
woodrim wrote:
The NEX is a very good camera to use with this lens. Do you have the CA control option enabled in your NEX? I find it amazing how well it works; it has made several of my lenses nearly perfect.

Aha, the CA... maybe. Sorry about my ignorance, but, what is that? Embarassed I use the focus peaking option but it works for me better the MF assist.

Pancolart, thanks for uploading my photos properly, as I'm having problems to insert them and don't know why.

Regards

Is it maybe a Color Aberration correction? I always use RAW files, so I think that doesn't affect, does it?

Chromatic aberration.

For example: When there is contrasting colour like a branch in front of the blue sky look for a bluish tinge along the edge of the tree branch.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you don't know what it is, you aren't experiencing it, which suggests your camera has the option set to on. I don't recall where in the menu it is and I would have to search for it, but if you browse through the settings, you'll find it. I think it is on for raw as well, but can't be absolutely sure. I have tried to use raw and have done some reading about processing raw, but I can't get as good an image from raw as the jpg from the camera - with some minor Photoshop adjustments; mostly contrast.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it!

_DSC5842 por Jetulio, no Flickr

Very Happy

Renato

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I have the lester dine kiron 105mm f2.8 macro lens and I have tested/used it at both infinity and macro ranges.
I found it to be very sharp, very little CA, and excellent contrast and flare resistance.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: A quick Saturday Zeiss 100 2 against Tokina 90 2.5 shootout Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A quick Saturday Zeiss 100 2 against Tokina 90 2.5 shoot Reply with quote

for some reason your pics are not displayed for me I get links only

bernhardas wrote:
To my eyes the Zeiss has the slightly deeper color saturation specifically the blacks of the lens.
However the Tokina keeps up very well in the sharpness department.
The bokeh is nice in both.

(Both shot with Hood)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP90mm F2.5

All taken handheld without any PP... few on very cloudy day and few late in the evening.

100% crops:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my Bokina out today ! This lens always delivers. I love it.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one, with the ladybug, blows my mind...The complementary contrast of the red and the green is just freqking awesome!
I lift my hat for this one Wink
Cheers Timo

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Räbenfluch wrote:
The last one, with the ladybug, blows my mind...The complementary contrast of the red and the green is just freqking awesome!
I lift my hat for this one Wink
Cheers Timo

Agreed, awesome composition.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Adapter for Canon EOS? Reply with quote

Hi all, I've just come across this amazing lens through my cousin, who just picked one up for his Sony NEX. I'm just wondering if anyone can share their thoughts about the best adapter to get the lens working on a Canon 5D MKII?

Also, am I best picking up a non-Canon Tokina and adapting that? I've read about the issue of it not focusing to infinity, which doesn't bother me too much, but if that's the case, what would the (approx) maximum focus distance be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read through the hole thread so this might have been adressed already. I don't know where the "Bokina II" designation comes from. There is only one Bokina and that is the Tokina macro. The name naturally is derived from a combination of Tokina and bokeh. The kiron, vivitar etc are very nice lenses in their own regard but they are no Bokina.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I haven't read through the hole thread so this might have been adressed already. I don't know where the "Bokina II" designation comes from. There is only one Bokina and that is the Tokina macro. The name naturally is derived from a combination of Tokina and bokeh. The kiron, vivitar etc are very nice lenses in their own regard but they are no Bokina.

Because the optical design of this lens was done for Vivitar, and Vivitar sold a version of this lens before Tokina did (although it was manufactured by Tokina) as the Vivitar Series One 90mm f2.5 Macro. They are the same optically, with just the usual cosmetic build differences, plus different lens coatings, and a slightly different shape to the aperture blades.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they may be the same in almost every regard but only the Tokina is the "Bokina". It's wordplay: Bokeh + Tokina = Bokina

Last edited by Pontus on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Yes, they may be the same in almost every regard but only the Tokina is the "Bokina".
does that make the Series 1 a Bokitar?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bokitar", that's actually a good one Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still calling my Series 1 Bokitar from now on Cool
It has the same bokeh characteristics as the Tokina and should be recognised as such Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Vivitar Bokina today. Here the very first shots with Canon 5D3:

F/2.5

F/5.6

What a lens !!

Last edited by alangeli on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alangeli wrote:
Got my Vivitar Bokina today. Here the very first shots with Canon 5D3:

F/2.5

F/5.6

What a lens !!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations alangeli, I'm sure that you'll keep that lens forever and capture many wonderful images with it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only lens that can replace the bokina is Zuiko 90 2.0. No other lens will replace my bokina Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was sitting on my front porch this evening as the sun was setting. Series 1 Bokina at f/2.5 using NEX-5N...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Was sitting on my front porch this evening as the sun was setting. Series 1 Bokina at f/2.5 using NEX-5N...

Surprised gorgeous image Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California Wildflower - Crimson Columbine by B Zhou, on Flickr

Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 Macro, NEX 5N