Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 70-210 macro 1:2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 70-210 macro 1:2 Reply with quote

I've spent some time this morning learning ang trying this nice lens. I got also the Tammy 70-210 compact, and I'm quite happy with it as an all-terrain lens. The SP one is much bigger and heavy but the closeup capabilities have conquered me. This is the shot where I got my new avatar:

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I love the new avatar Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! superb Jes, it is sweet like honey

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Larry and Poilu for your comments!

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent! Superb capture!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth like female skin! Luscious result.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've made me pull out my SP 70-210. Tomorrow it's FLOWER TIME! You are an inspiration! Just absolutely beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokelicious. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shot, Jes!

Bill

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot Jes.

The close up facility of the Tamrons really makes them a good choice even if you've got other lenses in the respective focal lengths.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Now you've made me pull out my SP 70-210. Tomorrow it's FLOWER TIME! You are an inspiration! Just absolutely beautiful.

Thanks Larry! These days I'm enjoying the digital side of the life... My split focusing screen seems to work fine. And the 70-210 SP is a great lens.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Bill and Richard: Thanks for your comments,
I also was surprised with the nice bokeh that this lens gives.

It's a pain in the back because the weight, I'm looking for a tripod mount. I was told there is a ring that placed in the middle of the lens allows a balanced mount on the tripod...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Thanks Larry! These days I'm enjoying the digital side of the life... My split focusing screen seems to work fine. And the 70-210 SP is a great lens.

Jes.

Jes, are you using the Pentax? Or the Canon? With the 70-210, that is...

Jes, what would be the best way for me to keep the aperture pin on the 70-210 pushed in, so that it won't pop back up? I was thinking of jamming a sliver of wood in there, but it's just too tight. I'm not sure about glue...possibly super glue?

Larry

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Jes.

Jes, what would be the best way for me to keep the aperture pin on the 70-210 pushed in, so that it won't pop back up? I was thinking of jamming a sliver of wood in there, but it's just too tight. I'm not sure about glue...possibly super glue?

Larry

Larry, I use the lens with any of my cameras. When I started this MF affair, I decided to restrict myself to M42 and Adaptall lenses at first (because I owned such kind of lenses already). So I got some adapters (Adaptall to EOS, Adaptall to Minolta, Adaptall to Fuji, Adaptall to Pentax and Adaptall to M42). Also I got M42 to EOS, M42 to Pentax, M42 to Minolta and M42 to Fuji.
For the tulip shots, I didn't care about the pin because I wanted a narrow DOF so I was happy with the lens wide open.
For the Canon both adapters (M42 and Adaptall) have a jut in the inside that pushes the lens pin. Not so for the Pentax, the M42 adapter doesn't take care of the pin at all.
On the Pentax I can mount the Tamron lenses in two ways: Just through the Adaptall to Pentax adapter or using the adaptall to M42 adapter and placing the M42 ring in the PK body, and then using the M42 to Adaptall...
But I'm unsure now if the Adaptall adapter takes care of the pin...
Let me check once I can get it. (It's at the armoire and the family is still sleeping).

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

It's a pain in the back because the weight, I'm looking for a tripod mount. I was told there is a ring that placed in the middle of the lens allows a balanced mount on the tripod...

Jes.

You might get lucky and find one - I've been looking for both 60-300 and 70-210 tripod mounts with no success. I've just measured the lens diameter on both and come up with the following figures;
SP 60-300 dia 61mm width 10mm
SP 70-210 (19AH) dia 64mm width 5mm

Obviously, 5mm wide isn't going to be strong enough, and a collar at least 10mm wide would be better. It would mean losing some slight amount at the nearer end of the zoom range, but not enough to worry about. I'm sure the Tamron collar does this too.

I was hoping to find that one of the cheap Canon tripod collars on the 'bay would fit, but I don't think any of them will.

If you measure yours up you can see if it's the same - I doubt it will be, Tamron seem to make every lens totally different in sizes with no common parts, not even hoods.

(edit) I've just had a look and the fake Canon-fit ebay ones for the EF 70-210 are 66mm internal diameter - not beyond use, if a wrap of rubber tape is put round the barrel.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Laurence wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Jes.

Larry

Larry, I use the lens with any of my cameras. When I started this MF affair, I decided to restrict myself to M42 and Adaptall lenses at first (because I owned such kind of lenses already). So I got some adapters (Adaptall to EOS, Adaptall to Minolta, Adaptall to Fuji, Adaptall to Pentax and Adaptall to M42). Also I got M42 to EOS, M42 to Pentax, M42 to Minolta and M42 to Fuji.
For the tulip shots, I didn't care about the pin because I wanted a narrow DOF so I was happy with the lens wide open.
For the Canon both adapters (M42 and Adaptall) have a jut in the inside that pushes the lens pin. Not so for the Pentax, the M42 adapter doesn't take care of the pin at all.
On the Pentax I can mount the Tamron lenses in two ways: Just through the Adaptall to Pentax adapter or using the adaptall to M42 adapter and placing the M42 ring in the PK body, and then using the M42 to Adaptall...
But I'm unsure now if the Adaptall adapter takes care of the pin...
Let me check once I can get it. (It's at the armoire and the family is still sleeping).

Jes.

Jes, I too have the adaptall with the K110D. So it doesn't depress the pin. I was thinking of the non-volatile (doesn't give off gasses) Super Glue. The trouble is to find something to hold the pin down while glue sets, without having that "something" getting glued as well...I just can't get a wood sliver pushed down beside the pin to jam it in place...not enough clearance. Perhaps something like a #0000 wire might do it...then I could leave a bit of wire protruding for when I want to restore the pin to original specs.

Laurence

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence,

You can try to use solder from the plumbing supply house. It is soft so you could put a point on it to get started, that way it would wedge in pretty well. Then snip it off.

Just don't put your lens into the fire, or it will become permanent. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, the best thing to advise you is to use a PK Adaptall mount (or even better a PKA if you can find one). But you can adapt the M42 AD2 mount quite easily to make the lens stop down.

Remove the AD2 mount from the lens and you'll see on the inside of the pin there is a ring that lifts when the pin is pushed. All you need to do is to wedge someting (folded card or similar) between the ring and the base of the mount to keep the pin in.