Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 2.8/28mm and Adaptall-System
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Tamron 2.8/28mm and Adaptall-System Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking for information about the Tamron 2.8/28mm. It seems that there is next to nothing in the www. Most references I found are about the 2.5/28mm.

The lens is older than the 2.5/28 and an adaptall version. Here is the link to the Tamron site:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/cw28.htm

Has someone this lens and can tell me something about it.
Is it worth a try?

Last edited by IANUS on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one Click here to see on Ebay Haven't tried it yet. Seems to have very good build quality.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good lens, nice and sharp although not quite as contrasty as the AD2 28/2.5. Grab it if it's cheap Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a good lens, nice and sharp although not quite as contrasty as the AD2 28/2.5. Grab it if it's cheap

Thanks for the reply. I will check about the condition and when it looks good I will give it a try (and yes the lens is cheap).

BTW. I am not familiar with the Tamron Adaptall-system. Can someone give me an introduction to it.
What I know is that the lens mount is somehow interchangable. Do I need a special tool for it or is it screwed in? Do you have the convienience of automatic aperture and something like the Nikon Ais system?
There are different Adaptall-systems - are they interchangeable?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANUS wrote:

BTW. I am not familiar with the Tamron Adaptall-system. Can someone give me an introduction to it.
What I know is that the lens mount is somehow interchangable. Do I need a special tool for it or is it screwed in? Do you have the convienience of automatic aperture and something like the Nikon Ais system?
There are different Adaptall-systems - are they interchangeable?
Thanks

No special tool needed, it's held in by a tab on the side you press in and turn the adapter. Auto mechanical stopdown is a feature of the AD system, but most digicams won't be able to use it, so manual only for them. The exceptions are Pentax (auto mechanical stop-down and even electrical aperture info with the PK and PK/A adapters respectively) and quite possibly some Nikons, but I'm not a Nikon DSLR owner, so can't say for sure.
To the best of my knowledge most of the AD-1 lenses will accept an AD-2 adapter and function normally.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks farside.

So auto-stopdown will work with the old film cameras (which is most of my stuff). When it does then it shouldn't be a problem with Nikon/Fuji DSLR , I suppose.

I really don't like manual stopping down. Thats one of the reasons that I use the Nikon stuff. I had some time a Jupiter 9 lens with manual preselection of aperture and every now and then I forgot to stop down which was a bit annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the site you're looking for may be this one:
http://www.adaptall-2.com/

very usefull....

BTW:
The 24 and 28 Tammys are not THAT sharp.
At least not in the corners.
I had the 2.5/28 and found the 28-70 (the 1st, bigger one with 62mm filter thread) not to be worse...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANUS wrote:
Thanks farside.

So auto-stopdown will work with the old film cameras (which is most of my stuff). When it does then it shouldn't be a problem with Nikon/Fuji DSLR , I suppose.

I really don't like manual stopping down. Thats one of the reasons that I use the Nikon stuff. I had some time a Jupiter 9 lens with manual preselection of aperture and every now and then I forgot to stop down which was a bit annoying.

I believe it will depend on the Nikon DSLR you're using as to whether or not you'll have auto aperture. I'm not all that familiar with the various Nikon DSLR capabilities. If your DSLR has electrical contacts only, and no manual levers inside the mount, then you'll be in the same boat as us Canon EOS users -- manual aperture control only.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
IANUS wrote:
Thanks farside.

I believe it will depend on the Nikon DSLR you're using as to whether or not you'll have auto aperture. I'm not all that familiar with the various Nikon DSLR capabilities. If your DSLR has electrical contacts only, and no manual levers inside the mount, then you'll be in the same boat as us Canon EOS users -- manual aperture control only.

All Nikon DSLRs give auto-aperture with Nikon F lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order not to start a new thread I will post the question here.

The choice is between Tamron Adaptall 28mm/2.5 and Tamron BBAR MC 28mm/2.8
Same price ( more or less ) for both. Which one to pick? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
In order not to start a new thread I will post the question here.

The choice is between Tamron Adaptall 28mm/2.5 and Tamron BBAR MC 28mm/2.8
Same price ( more or less ) for both. Which one to pick? Thanks.

Is the 28mm black or white version? White looks cooler. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AD1 lens and use it on my AD2 adapter. Zero problems.

I believe there are some samples of both versions around the forum somewhere. Just don't pay much for any of them they are very common, specially the AD1.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is around EUR 25.

Both are black, the 2.5 one has no info if it's MC or not, so probably it's not. I'll have another look at the samples.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take both for that price.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would eBay them, judging by the completed listings with patience you can get the AD1 for 10. AD2 may set you back a bit more but not by much, 20 in good condition. Good luck!

If by 25 they include caps and/or box and are in good condition.. don't hesitate! I don't know for the AD2 but the AD1 should be very well built and nicely coated.

Some samples and opinions:

f/2.8 Here - Here - Here - and Here

f/2.5 Also Here - Or Here - And the best one hehe

Lots of info! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron 28mm f2.8 is a good lens (well I know on a film camera), but IMO it's not in the same class as a Canon or Hexanon (and many more) 28mms..what's the difference? well for example the results from Canon look sharper in a shot.

Tamron 28mm f2.8 on film

Tamron 28mm f2.8 on film

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this lens a while back and shot on film. I'm waiting on the adapter to come in so I can use it on my 60D. Paid $12 for it at a thrift store.