Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spottie and the Beast
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Spottie and the Beast Reply with quote

Fast long and sharp glass for the eos mount is way out of my budget
The obvious action ( to me) when i ran into the FL 300mm/2.8 SSC fluorite in mint condition was to convert
Decided m42 was the way to go, so that it can be used on the spottie and the 30D
This lens is very very easy to convert due to it being a pre set design, and the mount section can be split from the lens (for lathing)

an old cs/m42 converter and 20 minutes on the lathe and VOILA

tes tpics to follow as soon as the weather allows

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked
I see you're set up for a re-make of Rear Window Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked
I see you're set up for a re-make of Rear Window Laughing

Very Happy think i would rather go "spy" on some wild life! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed some test shots today
I do not have very high standards, but this lens is truly amazing
Cape sugar bird was taken hand held iso 100/400th/sec @f5.6
and the cape Hyrax hand held wide open at f2.8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Must have one!! Superb results!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soikka wrote:
Shocked Must have one!! Superb results!

if you get one Very Happy just pm me for the detailed conversion steps
it is as simple as falling out of a tree !! Smile Smile
I am doing the 400mm ssc at the moment but must still finish the aperture linkage so no test shots yet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results ... What about sharing more details about the mount conversion Wink ?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Excellent results ... What about sharing more details about the mount conversion Wink ?

Cheers

Thanks
Will do ! Very Happy will make a diagram with measurements and steps and post in the next day or so
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really great images.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb indeed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only an obviously fine lens, but you as a photographer show your patience and excellence in obtaining these wonderful images.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, great results.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Daniel on the conversion job and thanks for the fine pictures. This bird is amazing!

The quality of these vintage fluorite lenses is really outstanding. My FL-F 300/5.6 is superb even wide open. The next step is to get my hands on the FL 500/5.6...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys !
will post the results of the 400mm ssc soon
and some more planned and controlled shots of the 300mm, it has o lot of blades and perfectly round aperture at all stops and i am curious about the "bokeh" it may produce
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Absolutely superb results. I wish I had the practical metal-working skills some of you guys have.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work. Both on the conversion and the results.

BTW - Where have you been?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Good work. Both on the conversion and the results.

BTW - Where have you been?

Thanks Martin
Tried to give stock photography a go and spent a lot of time and energy.....but think i may rather spend my time photographing stuff that appeals to me and muck around with old lenses...
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful - conversion amazing and fantastic bird shots. Obviously worth the effort

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! I've heard it said more than once that the old 300/2.8 fluorites were superb optics, and I think you've proved that statement thoroughly.

Very clever, going from FL to M42 and then to EOS via an adapter. I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:

Is that really you on the bottom half of the eye?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Is that really you on the bottom half of the eye?

Now that i look closely it may well be , there is a light area (my jacket) and a black spot that must be the camera and lens !
Well spotted
Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how to do it!
you need an old t mount/m42 or similar adapter like this and a cap

The outside diameter of this converter will be cut to have a tight fit to the inside diameter of the lens barrel and the bottom part will be shortened not to protrude into the drop in filter slot of the lens barrel (seen in the next image)

The tapered part of the lens barrel is taken of first (3 screws) and then the FL breech lock ring removed )and some small screws on the mount

Remember to mark the topside of the lens for correct alignment when re-assembling
the back part can then be put onto the lathe and measured from the mount surface, 3,4 mm must be removed (the red area in the image) for infinity focus)

inside the cut mount there will be some light trap material that can also be removed lightly with the lathe (between the filter slot and the new mount surface

measure the distance between the filter slot and the mount, then shorten the adapter to a bit less than that on the lathe

measure the inside diameter of the inside of the lens barrel and cut the adapter to fit very tight (you must NOT be able to push it in by hand, but the edge of the adapter must go in a bit and then bind (round the edge of the adapter a bit to help it to enter

Take the adapter and screw it into your m42/eos adapter and mark the topside when fitted to the camera

Put the adapter combination in the deep freezer for 1 hour
Boil some water and put the back part of the lens in the boiling water

Take both out and line up the topside marked on both , enter and quickly tap in with rubber mallet till the converter is flush with the new mount
surface

Take the converter off and it will look like this

when the temperature is normal ,no need for screws it is as good as welded in place but if you want then drill three holes around the outside, tap and secure with grub screws

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ... Impressive Shocked Shocked Shocked ...

Thanks for sharing the hint.

Cheers