Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor(Komine) 180/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Just picked up one of these, too! Reply with quote

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just found one of theses lenses too. I found a poorly worded auction offering this 180mm f3.5 along with a Soligor 200mm f3.5 as well. Got them both for the starting price of 99 cents (+$16 shipping!) Unfortunately I do not have an SLR with me for a few days to test it out, but it looks very promising from the samples in this thread. My biggest surprise was the FIFTEEN aperture blades. I also like the smooth continuous preset aperture motion. It is like I have infinite aperture stops.

Sorry for the bad pics, but as I said, I don't have my SLR with me today.

Look at all those blades! Smile

The Soligor 200 3.5 seems pretty ordinary and looks brand new.

Edit: ODD my pictures work in a preview, but not in the final post
??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up one of these, too! Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just found one of theses lenses too. I found a poorly worded auction offering this 180mm f3.5 along with a Soligor 200mm f3.5 as well. Got them both for the starting price of 99 cents (+$16 shipping!) Unfortunately I do not have an SLR with me for a few days to test it out, but it looks very promising from the samples in this thread. My biggest surprise was the FIFTEEN aperture blades. I also like the smooth continuous preset aperture motion. It is like I have infinite aperture stops.

Sorry for the bad pics, but as I said, I don't have my SLR with me today.

Look at all those blades! Smile

The Soligor 200 3.5 seems pretty ordinary and looks brand new.

Edit: ODD my pictures work in a preview, but not in the final post
??

It's an anti-spam measure - first time posters can't post pics. You'll be ok now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: I have to correct some informations here!!! Reply with quote

this message is outdated and deleted!

Last edited by Aykman on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I have to correct some informations here!!! Reply with quote

Aykman wrote:
Hi,

I dont know it looks not like komine because I had two 200mm from Komine with Vivitar and Panagor label....they looked different.

Sorry if my post was confusing. Both pictures are of the 180mm Soligor. My 200mm looks like a plain jane Tokina or Tamron, so I did not post images of it. I thought the 180mm was interesting because of all the aperture blades. It seems like all the other mega-blade lenses have a cult following (Tair, "bokeh-monster" pentacon 135, etc. ) and I had never heard of this one before.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tkbslc,

I am guessing its a Komine because I have seen a Kominar (house trademark of Komine brand, actual company was Nittoh Kogaku, still in existence) that was very very similar in design details. Many makers products were sold under the Soligor brand, even the early Tamron line.

"Soligor" was in the beginning a brand name used by Allied Impex Co., a US photo products distributor in New York, founded by a group of German Jewish refugees. I believe they began their company in the 1940's. In the 1950's they became large-scale importers of Japanese made lenses, and they purchased the Japanese Miranda camera company. By the 1960's Allied Impex, using the Soligor brand, was the biggest international distributor of Japanese lenses. Vivitar (a brand of Ponder&Best, another photo distributior) followed them into the lens business later, and took their market.

Allied Impex went bankrupt in the late 1970's, and the Soligor brand seems to have been picked up by their European branch in Germany, which reorganized themselves under the Soligor name.

This Soligor lens is from the 1960's, from an earlier generation than the Vivitar and Panagor-branded auto lenses you are referring to, which are from 5-15 years later. The design is typical of 1960's presets. They are all rip-offs of old German designs of course. Sometimes they are excellent rip-offs though, like this one. There are Komine lenses even in the 1970's that were excellent in all respects.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see my Tele-Kominar 135mm f3.5 for comparison:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Sorry for again warming up this threat.

I took over an old Leica III and a couple of corresponding lenses, including a "dissimilar" Soligor 180 mm 1:3.5. And of course, I am now curious about the quality of this Soligor. Comparing with the pictures from kuuan, my Soligor looks very similar, see

(the lens is shown with its mount to the Leica camera [I dont know whats wrong but when publishing, I can't see my two pictures]). And that would be good news, following the discussion.

kuuan wrote:
just received the Soligor 180mm f3.5
note: this is not the Komine of the OP luisalegria!
I wonder who made this one, it's serial number is M 193404

However, there are two little differences: It looks like the scale on kuuan's pictures goes like "2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 3.0", while mine is "2.3 2.5 3", and so on. And the serial number of my Soligor is 86420968, while the one from kuuan start with an M. I've somewhere read that the first two numbers of the serial number are a hint to the manifacturer of the Soligor lens...

Would you assume my Soligor is of the same quality than the Soligor from kuuan? And does anyone in the meantime has an idea who the manifacturer could be?

Many thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards
Chris
(from Switzerland)

PS: I know that mounting a 180 lens to an old Leica is not of everyone's flavor, but that's another story Wink

Last edited by ChrisBee on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisBee wrote:
Hi there

I took over an old Leica III and a couple of corresponding lenses, including a "dissimilar" Soligor 180 mm 1:3.5. And of course, I am now curious about the quality of this Soligor. Comparing with the pictures from kuuan, my Soligor looks very similar, see

picture 1
picture 2

(the lens is shown with its mount to the Leica camera). And that would be good news, following the discussion.

kuuan wrote:

However, there are two little differences: It looks like the scale on kuuan's pictures goes like "2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 3.0", while mine is "2.3 2.5 3", and so on. And the serial number of my Soligor is 86420968, while the one from kuuan start with an M. I've somewhere read that the first two numbers of the serial number are a hint to the manifacturer of the Soligor lens...

Would you assume my Soligor is of the same quality than the Soligor from kuuan? And does anyone in the meantime has an idea who the manifacturer could be?

Best regards
Chris
(from Switzerland)

PS: I know that mounting a 180 lens to an old Leica is not of everyone's flavor, but that's another story Wink

picture 1
picture 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisBee wrote:
Hi there

(the lens is shown with its mount to the Leica camera [I dont know whats wrong but when publishing, I can't see my two pictures]). And that would be good news, following the discussion.

kuuan wrote:

Best regards
Chris
(from Switzerland)

Hi Chris,

welcome to the forum.
Your pictures not showing up / not being clickable is an anti spam measure hitting a first time poster. estudleon made them viewable in his response, I believe next time posting this problem will be gone.

from what I see it does look very similar to mine, the focus ring of mine got a sliver line. I would assume that it is the same lens optically, as to what the differences you make out 'could' mean I do not have any idea.

best try it out and show us! and on 35mm film Very Happy , my samples are APS-C

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

Hi Chris,

welcome to the forum.
Your pictures not showing up / not being clickable is an anti spam measure hitting a first time poster. estudleon made them viewable in his response, I believe next time posting this problem will be gone.

from what I see it does look very similar to mine, the focus ring of mine got a sliver line. I would assume that it is the same lens optically, as to what the differences you make out 'could' mean I do not have any idea.

best try it out and show us! and on 35mm film Very Happy , my samples are APS-C

Hi Andreas

many thanks for your reply, and for your explanation regarding the non visibility of my pictures - makes sense.

I think I'll really give it a try and take some test pictures to find out about the quality ...

Best regards
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Just ad my 2 cents on ID Reply with quote

Hello all,

I just picked up a Hanimex 180mm f3.5 Serial number serial no. H50905. It displays all the properties of the other Hanimex lenses displayed on the site.

I'd just like to ad that when I purchased this lens, it came with an Exacta KE mount adapter. This adapter had a plastic rear cap which reads 'Tokyo Kogaku Japan'. So, there you have it. Unless this lens somehow managed to end up with a Japanese made KE mount cap from another lens, it looks like it was made in the Tokyo Kogaku plant.

As an added note, I adapted the Hanimex lens to Pentax K mount. It was a destructive process mind you. After playing around with it hand held onto an old Pentax MG body I discovered that, pressed up right onto the body of the camera, the lens would focus past infinity. Minimum focus distance was ~4 meters. Awesome, eh? I then proceeded to commit MF lens heresy by JB welding the lens to the outside of a M42-Pentax K adapter. Embarassed The result: a functional K mount Hanimex 180mm f3.5 lens that will focus to infinity... albeit one that will forever be Pentax K mount. Rolling Eyes

I'll post pics by this time next week.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokyo Kogaku was the maker of Topcon brand cameras. Their "serious" cameras used a modified version of the Kine Exakta mount. Topcon rear caps will fit Exakta mount lenses. Can't tell without a photo but your lens was most likely made by Tokina or Nittoh (Komine).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Komura? Topcon? Uniadptor???? Reply with quote

Hmmm, Komura came up with something called a unidapter way back when which I believe was similar in concept to T mount. I've read that there was a threaded ring that could be adapted to fit other camera mounts. This might be barking up the wrong tree, but the adaptable 46mm diameter threaded rear mount on my hanimex 180mm f3.5 has made me curious.

It would make sense for this lens to be a Topcon, being that it came with a KE adapter and was made (probably) by Tokyo Kogaku. But Komura also produced lenses in KE mount and are a known 'rebrander'.

Does anyone know the rear diameter of a unidaptor mount would be? I've done some googling, but come up dry.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Pics as Promised Reply with quote

As promised, here are the pics of the Hanimex 180mm f3.5 Lens.

You can see that I've JB welded a pentax K mount to the rear end of this lens.

As I stated before, it will reach infinity, and a little past.

After taking this lens out for a shoot, I'm really impressed with the sharpness at f3.5. The lens does suffer from a little bit of Red CA, but nothing PP can't fix.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens is made by Tokyo Koki, aka Tokina.
I have the same lens in the Vemar brand, which was a US importers mark usually used for Tokina products.
This lens has also been seen in the "Tele-Tokina" Tokyo Koki house brand.
The 47mm screw was for a Tokina-only variant of the T-mount that they used for a time in the 1960's
I have several of these lenses with the unique Tokina mount system.
We have had some discussions on this topic about a year ago.

Tokina then switched to normal T-mount thread (42mm) to use the standard T-mounts.

Tokyo Kogaku aka Topcon never made a lens like this. It was common to use third party lenses on all makes of Camera, Topcon cameras would not have been different. Third party lenses would have had an Exakta mount for use on Topcons.

Komura did little rebranding except very early in the 1950's. All known Komura lenses on the 1960's were found under their own brand. Later in the 1970's they experimented with changing their own brand (Kyvyx), and I am not sure if some of their late period zoom lenses may have been rebranded by the end.

Komura Unidapter thread is M44x.75

This lens is not by Komura, it does not resemble any known Komura.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. well that wraps up all the questions I had pretty snugly. Razz

Thanks for your detailed luisalegria, and thanks to everyone for their additions on the subject too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just got my Soligor with T2 mount, very similar to the one above here, therefore Tokina, I'd say. I'm very impressed by the sharpness starting from f/4, I'm, however, much less impressed by the ungodly amount of CA wide open. Most atrocious CA is gone by F/4 but still quite pronounced. at F/5.6 it is already alright and the sharpness is more than impressive. The barrel is slightly wobbly though, so I hope after a little adjustment by someone more skilled by me, the tube might get solid and aligned again, thereby getting rid of some of the fringing.