Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor(Komine) 180/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thats an impressive comparison, if it can top a Takumar 200/4.

Soligor was just a brand-name used by a marketing company, Allied Impex. They didn't make anything. Like Vivitar, Hanimex, Porst, Sears, etc. they were just merchants. They contracted with the manufacturers, who actually had factories and skilled workers, for products, on which they put their brand names.

A manufacturer was an outfit like Nitto Kogaku, who had their own trade-name, Komine - and they called their lenses Kominar, when they didn't sell through marketers like Allied Impex (Soligor) or Ponder&Best (Vivitar). Nitto Kogaku is still around, btw.

http://www.nittohkogaku.co.jp/flame/nittohcontents.html

Other such manufacturers who sold mainly through marketing companies (for some decades) were Tokina, Tomioka, Kiron, Sun, Fujita, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again you make these old and "cheap" lenses look great. The Knowledge of the history of these lenses is a true asset to the forum. Thanks so much for the contributions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Soligor 180mm vs SMC Tak 200 vs FAJ 75-300 AF Reply with quote

I guess I must improove my test photo skills ( should take you for an example, Luisalegria )
but of course I am curious how my copy of the Soligor ( once again , this is not the Komine of Luisalegria, the OP ) compares to my other two teles, which are the S.M.C. Takumar 200mm f4 and an AF zoom lens, a Pentax FA J 75-300mm ( set at about 190mm, with this lens f5.6 is wide open )

here charts of photos taken with these three lenses on Pentax *istDS, RAW converted with Lightroom' default settings, no other PPing but cropping in PS.
left side wide open, right side f11:

100% crops centre

100% crops right lower corner

what I can say with my limited knowledge is that specially the wide open performance of the Soligor seems very impressive.
Curious about your opinions,

cheers,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good, rigorous yet practical test, well done.

Me, I'm just fooling around, its all how I feel about it, not a bit scientific.

Your results are amazing really. I wish I knew who made your Soligor. It looks like a prize. I have to look for ones in that style.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Well, thats an impressive comparison, if it can top a Takumar 200/4........

As it seemed to me that the Soligor was better specially wide open, so when I had to choose which tele lens to take with me on the road, the Tak 200 or this Soligor, ( due to overweight luggage I had to leave some lenses behind in Japan ) I went for the Soligor, also because it is lighter in weight and faster.

I guess it was a good decision.
Yesterday was the first time I gave it a spin and it was during a concert where it's good performance wide open was of advantage.

Here some samples:

many more photos taken with this lens at the concert yesterday can be viewed in this specially dedicated folder:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157606664336319/

My setup with the Pentax *istDS with decent ISO 3200 performance and this lens did quite well. Judging by the looks some of the other photographers around gave to my results I believe that many did not do as well, even though their equipment may have cost them a few times over the 250 USD I spent for the camera + this lens.

best greetings,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done !

I particularly like #1 and #2; #3 would also make a fine publicity shot for the musician.

I have rarely had good luck with high ISO on the K100D, is the *istDS better at this ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Very well done !

I particularly like #1 and #2; #3 would also make a fine publicity shot for the musician.

actually they already asked me for it and now already published some at their site: http://www.reverbnation.com/saharadja
I am no pro, but I was wondering if I should charge them..but well, depends..I'll meet them soon in another upcoming local event

luisalegria wrote:
I have rarely had good luck with high ISO on the K100D, is the *istDS better at this ?

hm..I believe they share the same sensor and their high ISO performance should be the same, the K100D also has IS which sometimes will be of advantage.

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I got a cheap Soligor 180 mm 3.5 T2, the same version as Kuuan.

The glass surfaces are clean, but unfortunately there´s oil in the aperture blades, and the action is sluggish. Maybe this is not so serious for a pre-set lens, but before I invest 15 - 20 euros for a T2-Nikon adapter, I´d like to know, if this easy to fix at home. (I´ve never taken a lens apart, but maybe this would be a good on to start.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a very simple lens, so it would be good to start.

Don't disassemble the diaphragm if you can avoid it, its troublesome to reassemble (I had to on mine). Take out the lenses and try put some lighter fluid in the mechanism if its sticky.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

just got a very similar lens, physically it seems the same, there are slight differences. Pics:

The first obvious difference is that it is a Petri bayonet mount... Sad I'm thinking of altering a M42-EOS adapter to fit this in my camera. Any ohter ideas?

It's a Hanimex, and there's a not so obvious difference: the scale in meters and feet is switched! Do you think that this is also a Komine made lens?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagle_ wrote:
Hi,

just got a very similar lens, physically it seems the same, there are slight differences. Pics:

The first obvious difference is that it is a Petri bayonet mount... Sad I'm thinking of altering a M42-EOS adapter to fit this in my camera. Any ohter ideas?

It's a Hanimex, and there's a not so obvious difference: the scale in meters and feet is switched! Do you think that this is also a Komine made lens?

Welcome eagle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eagle,

Nice looking lens !

The good news is that that s a T-mount, I'm almost certain. You should be able to just unscrew that and put in a T-mount for your DSLR.

I don't know if its a Komine, it could be. I am not sure about the size of the objective vs the lens barrel, yours seems to flare out to a larger size than mine, but I'll have to check that.

There were several other makers of 180/3.5 presets like this. Vivitar sold one from an unknown maker (I have that) but its rather different. Others were Kyoei (I have one) and Tamron (I have that too). Both are also different.

Tokina had one, which seems to be quite rare as I've never seen it. Yours may be one, Hanimex did sell the common Tokinas (as well as a lot of others). Cosina also had one, never seen that either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Welcome eagle.

Thanks! Why aren't my photos showing?

As for the mount, i'll try to remove it. Maybe i'm lucky... Smile

This lens takes 62mm filters. I can size it and post it's measures.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. What a sharpness! It's sharper than takumar!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, You were right! It is an adapter, the lens has a screw mount that i can't identify (it's not M42), maybe it's T-mount has you said. I'll measure it and find an adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eagle,

T-thread is 42mm but the thread pitch is .75mm instead of 1mm with regular M42. And of course the back-focus without an adapter is much longer than with M42.

You should be able to measure it, the outside diameter of the male thread should be 42mm (or close to it).

I am certain this is a t-mount.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i measured it today and it's about 46mm. I didn't take pics yet. Is this any known mount?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you measuring the thread on the lens ? That should be 42mm or very close.

Or are you measuring the inner ring of the T-mount ? That can be left on if the T-mount is removed improperly, and it could be 46mm, although there is no standard for that, T-mount makers make their inner ring design as they like.

The T-mount comes in two parts - the inner ring with 42x.75 female thread and the knurled outer ring with the lens-mount. They are held together with three set-screws. But the way to remove the T-mount is just to unscrew the whole thing from the lens. The set-screws are just there to adjust the T-mount so the lens alignment is correct - the top is on the top.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i'm not sure i understood.

I saw that it has an inner "adapter" - a 42x0,75 male ring that was completelly attached. I unscrewed it a bit, it looked like this:

And here it is off the lens:

So the lens itself has a 42x0,75 female thread. This means that the T-mount->EOS adapter has a male thread?

Can you show some pictures of yours and the adapter you use?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an odd one ! Thats not a T-mount if the outside male thread is 46mm.

The outside male thread on the lens should be 42mmx0.75

I suspect you have a dedicated lens mount then, and things won't be so simple. You may be able to adapt a T-mount to fit by removing the inner ring and fitting it on with the set-screws (I do that a lot).
There may be issues with back focus, as the adapter distance won't be standard. The lens will either overshoot or come short of infinity. And it won't be as strong and stable a mount.

I will take pictures of a typical T-mount lens and adapter and post them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a typical T-mount lens (Lentar 135/3.5 preset) and a standard T-mount -

The lens has 42mmx.75 Male thread and the mount has a female threaded inner ring, held on the mount by three setscrews.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Just picked up one of these, too! Reply with quote

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just found one of theses lenses too. I found a poorly worded auction offering this 180mm f3.5 along with a Soligor 200mm f3.5 as well. Got them both for the starting price of 99 cents (+$16 shipping!) Unfortunately I do not have an SLR with me for a few days to test it out, but it looks very promising from the samples in this thread. My biggest surprise was the FIFTEEN aperture blades. I also like the smooth continuous preset aperture motion. It is like I have infinite aperture stops.

Sorry for the bad pics, but as I said, I don't have my SLR with me today.

Look at all those blades! Smile

The Soligor 200 3.5 seems pretty ordinary and looks brand new.

Edit: ODD my pictures work in a preview, but not in the final post
??

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Just picked up one of these, too! Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just found one of theses lenses too. I found a poorly worded auction offering this 180mm f3.5 along with a Soligor 200mm f3.5 as well. Got them both for the starting price of 99 cents (+$16 shipping!) Unfortunately I do not have an SLR with me for a few days to test it out, but it looks very promising from the samples in this thread. My biggest surprise was the FIFTEEN aperture blades. I also like the smooth continuous preset aperture motion. It is like I have infinite aperture stops.

Sorry for the bad pics, but as I said, I don't have my SLR with me today.

Look at all those blades! Smile

The Soligor 200 3.5 seems pretty ordinary and looks brand new.

Edit: ODD my pictures work in a preview, but not in the final post
??

It's an anti-spam measure - first time posters can't post pics. You'll be ok now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: I have to correct some informations here!!! Reply with quote

this message is outdated and deleted!

Last edited by Aykman on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I have to correct some informations here!!! Reply with quote

Aykman wrote:
Hi,

I dont know it looks not like komine because I had two 200mm from Komine with Vivitar and Panagor label....they looked different.

Sorry if my post was confusing. Both pictures are of the 180mm Soligor. My 200mm looks like a plain jane Tokina or Tamron, so I did not post images of it. I thought the 180mm was interesting because of all the aperture blades. It seems like all the other mega-blade lenses have a cult following (Tair, "bokeh-monster" pentacon 135, etc. ) and I had never heard of this one before.