Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 2.8/135 Used under lights at the rugby
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Soligor 2.8/135 Used under lights at the rugby Reply with quote

Carried on from this link
Well I went to the rugby and these are the results from the lens I chose to take.Most were taken at F4 and the main ISO used was 400 and I think some were 800.I found that the stadium lighting was not as bad as I thought it may have been.These are all hand held,You can see they are not sharp and also the limitations of the short length.But on a whole I was pleased with the results...but will be looking for another lens to try.
#1The Stadium

#2 The warm up

#3 Practicing the lift in the lineout.

#6 The Crowd

#11 You have the put in to the scrum

#12 The scrum...push!!!

#15 The short length of the 135 at a rugby game.

#17 The lineout...I can jump higher than you!

#18 The try...right in front but hard to change focus when it happens so fast!!

#21 Guess who won

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very spectacular captures Mo !
My favourites: #3 #11 #12 #17
_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great effort and some look really sharp, I'm surprised at how good the lighting was! If you are OK with shooting ISO 400 and 800, perhaps take a lens a little longer e.g. a 200/4 and shoot at ISO 800-1600. That way you will see less shake and get a little closer too Smile

I guess a 300/5.6 would be too slow then (one stop slower than the 135/2.8 at f4 and double the shutter speed would be needed because of the focal length, so overall 2 stops worse).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots Mo. Especially the "lifts" in the lineout. Don't think you really needed much more length, unless it was a zoom.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement...would a AF lens do better?I am looking at buying one but really have no idea of what to look for...It would be mainly for this type of shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad, Mo! Not bad at all! I like the scrums, they came out well, I think.

You know, the manual focus lens you need, I think, is a lens I have: the Tokina AT-X 100-300mm f/4 SD. It's a sharp lens, and the constant f/4 aperture makes for easier use in manual modes. But a 300mm f/4 is a pretty fast optic, and there were a few situations where it looked like you could have used some more focal length.

Still, I think you did an admirable job considering this was all done with a 135mm lens. Not really what a sports photographer would consider as a first choice, methinks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not really what a sports photographer would consider as a first choice, methinks.

Laughing I know,I went with it... as it is small and does not stick out in the crowd...and due to past experience with 135s at daytime rugby I knew it could cover most of the action really well.I do have some 200s and 300s but the weight would be a drawback.The Tokina sounds interesting what is the weight like?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mo,

Well, I haven't weighed my Tokina. You can probably find its specs that will list weight online. But it's pretty big, has a 72mm front filter size, and definitely not a lightweight:

But I used to own a Canon FD 300mm f/4, and this Tokina is about the same size. 300/4s are not small.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos for shooting a moving target in bad lighting.

Most of the images (apart from #11) look a little soft to me, which could be because you were shooting wide open, missed focus or motion blur. What shutter speeds were you getting?

Would an AF lens do better? Well, it would focus quickly and accurately (dare I say better than MF).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the softness, as for shutter speeds I did not notice as I was taking a lot of images. Rolling Eyes Very Happy We are about to get into rugby season so I will have a lot more opportunities to practice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I agree on the softness, as for shutter speeds I did not notice as I was taking a lot of images. Rolling Eyes Very Happy We are about to get into rugby season so I will have a lot more opportunities to practice.

The exif data is intact on them - many of them were 1/160th, 1/200th second, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borderline low speed for lens & camera combo which is why I suspect they are a little soft.

Try a monopod or extra couple of stops if ISO can be boosted.

another thought; did you have noise reduction turned on?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry I forget I can look at the exif.
Quote:
another thought; did you have noise reduction turned on?

No, I did not think to use it....I really have to look into all these little details...thanks for pointing it out. Very Happy
I guess the more I use this camera, the more I will be learning about all the finer tweaks "in camera".Would shooting in Raw be an advantage?I know it is a fairly slow process in between shots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately shoot RAW. That way you can shoot at higher ISO and manage the levels of noise yourself, which will likely vary between shots, depending on shadows etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement...would a AF lens do better?I am looking at buying one but really have no idea of what to look for...It would be mainly for this type of shooting.

Hi Mo.
For AF zoom lenses, I think you should look for a 70-200mm f:2.8. Sigma or Tamron.

Nices pictures !
2 years ago I attended a Top 14 Rugby match : Toulouse - Brive. We enjoyed the show very much ! Mu daughter took lot of photos and used a Sigma 75-300. It was very sunny but the lens was not fast enough (6.3 at 300mm...).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the AF lens tip,I recently used my mamiya 200/3.5 in the day time the images were not to bad.Wow 6.3 would have been tough ...but hey I would try it! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Wow 6.3 would have been tough ...but hey I would try it! Very Happy

Better try 70-200mm f:2.8. Sigma or Tamron. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest that the 3.5 / 135mm version of this lens is just a little bit sharper due to the smaller diameter of its glass elements? This lens was built about 43 years ago. It had to satisfy photographers' expectations of sharpness in b/w photography. At that time, even orthochromatic film material was used alongside of the panchromatic films. If I remember correctly what I have read, these lenses were made of heavy glass, crown and flint, that was corrected for a cooler section of the light spectrum yielding greater resolution and less distortion and barring "warmer" colors, similar to Nikon's ED glasses. I like this professional look, no thinning out of color spaces like in newer computer-designed lenses. On the downside is the strong overall contrast when you have to accommodate contrast ratios of 1:10000 and more. Nevertheless, your shots look pretty sharp and professional to me.