Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Small Petzval shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Small Petzval shots Reply with quote

I got hold of another Petzval, this time a smaller and unmarked one. It's the one in the middle:

Since it does not have a slot for waterhouse stops, I think this lens may have been intended as a magic lantern lens. I might be wrong though. I think it's a late 19th century lens rather than early 20th century.

Due to its low contrast I have done a bit of PP (levels) to get the best out of it. I'd love to use it more outside, but the weather is simply too dull for interesting shots (I want to get the "Petzval swirl").

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Using Petzval lens on a DSLR.
How do you get those old gems?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Amazing! Using Petzval lens on a DSLR.
How do you get those old gems?

Of course, in The Netherlands we have Marktplaats.nl for our 2nd hand stuff. And every now and then those lenses pop up. In today's market the demand for old brass lenses is limited, so I try to get them while I can Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A B&W version for those who love that more Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
Perhaps a little off-topic, but how do you mount these lenses?
And how do you get the correct register distance?
Can you post a shot of your setup?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
Cool!
Perhaps a little off-topic, but how do you mount these lenses?
And how do you get the correct register distance?
Can you post a shot of your setup?

Of course Wieland, but I have a super simple setup. Just a set of original Pentax K-bayonet tubes, and then the Petzval lens handheld in front of it. I'll make a better setup in the future, as the lens has its own focusing knob. Also, I'd love to see how it performs on a fullframe camera Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's make an Ambrotype out of one of the shots! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
The lens performs quite well colorwise, but I think b/w suits it better.
Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very well done Peter, typical Petzval shots. Outside with busy BG you would see "the swirl".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Wow, this looks so futuristic ! And amazing to see the results.

Cheers
TObias

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

Impressive, good shots. Thanks for sharing!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen similar lenses on ebay and been intrigued, but I always assumed that mounting them would be an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I've seen similar lenses on ebay and been intrigued, but I always assumed that mounting them would be an issue.

It all depends on size, of course. Thelarger Petzvals are not very interesting because of the long registration distance. Your best bet would be a simple projection Petzval; those lenses were much smaller.