Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma SD14 and manual lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ufff... not only the reds are now fine! Here is full list of my findings:

1. reds are now red, not greyish
2. transitions from reds to other color are now fine, no more banding artifacts
3. no more cyan skies
4. no more overblown reds and pinks, red surfaces has now texture
5. many pictures has higher microcontrast
6. no more green tints over the image
7. overexposed images has now more correct contrast - it's not significantly lower than on underexposed ones
8. however, not everythink is better - dynamic range seems to be sligthly lower in some very specific conditions

But it's possible to use SPP 2.5 and 3.5.2 simultaneously, so I'm really happy.

I thought I'll have to buy Sigma SD15 to achieve these results, but all the annoying IQ issues SD14 had, are now fixed Shocked It's like a free camera upgrade...

2 more examples:
SPP 2.5 vs. SPP 3.5.2

red - greeen transition:
SPP 2.5 vs. SPP 3.5.2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Great news for all Sigma users! Sigma released new version of RAW converter SPP 3.5.2, which greatly improves image quality for highlighted areas:

Quote:
SIGMA Photo Pro 3.5.2 for Windows

* Improved processing performance in highlight areas of RAW images
* Exposure Warning is displayed to each RGB channels of the histogram
* Addition of “ProPhoto RGB” to the Color Space in “Save Image As”.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/news/info_090702.htm

Problems with red channel are now fixed, red is no more overblown or greyish, but RED. Check these image I took last year with by Komine made Vivitar 28/2.8 at f/2.8:

SPP 2.5 auto:

new SPP 3.5.2 auto:

Very Happy

The reds do indeed look much better, but the red in the OOF area looks rather strange with the harsh outline it gives.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to see these improvements, no-X. I think they are getting ready for the SD15! Very Happy

The SD15 uses the same sensor as our SD14s.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Jianisi for Sigma SD14 Reply with quote

The MF lens I use on my SD14 has no image stabilization. No surprise there. So it would be nice to have a remote controller.

I want a Jianisi because of the inexpensive price.

Does anyone know if there is a Jianisi controller that will work with the Sigma SD14?

Thanks.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: sigma sd14 Reply with quote

hello i'm a new member and a new sigma sd14 user,so i want ask to you the better lens that you use with sigma without modification.with a priority to the cheapest one...thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at my list on previous page Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.it is very interesting.But you can suggest the better lens to strart?naturally I'm searching a very good quality one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: New to MFlenses Reply with quote

Hi there, just wanted to say hello, registered a few minutes ago.

Klaus Very Happy

Last edited by exaklaus on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Many,many thanks to joining us!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to introduce myself to fellow Sigma devotees..

I have owned a Sigma SD10 for a few years that i have a love/hate relationship with. I was going to give up on Sigma and go Canon, but then i heard about manual focus lenses being usable on SD bodies Very Happy Very Happy

It has awakened a new interest in photography, i recently bought a SD14 with Leica R mount from Luis at Sigma Cum Laude, and i love it. Whilst the SD14's have been selling so cheap i also bought another standard one that i can use my M42 lenses and std Sigma lenses...

This renewed hobby is becoming very expensive though, my manual lenses now number 11. These include, Leica, Pentacon, Takumars, Jupiter and Novoflex.... i must stop buying lenses Embarassed

I hope to gain some insights on these wonderful cameras, from you guys...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
Just wanted to introduce myself to fellow Sigma devotees..

I have owned a Sigma SD10 for a few years that i have a love/hate relationship with. I was going to give up on Sigma and go Canon, but then i heard about manual focus lenses being usable on SD bodies Very Happy Very Happy

It has awakened a new interest in photography, i recently bought a SD14 with Leica R mount from Luis at Sigma Cum Laude, and i love it. Whilst the SD14's have been selling so cheap i also bought another standard one that i can use my M42 lenses and std Sigma lenses...

This renewed hobby is becoming very expensive though, my manual lenses now number 11. These include, Leica, Pentacon, Takumars, Jupiter and Novoflex.... i must stop buying lenses Embarassed

I hope to gain some insights on these wonderful cameras, from you guys...

Thank you for your info! I did also very interest to a modified SD14 to Contax becuase I am Zeiss fan, but I found medium format with slide films and my interest went to down for a while about any DSLR Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Adaptall 2 Reply with quote

Hope someone out there might have a thought on this:

I have the Sigma SD14 running with (among others) Tamron Adaptall 2 MF glass. At present time I am using two adapters:

Adaptall 2 to M42

M42 to PK

This works.

But has anyone ever seen an Adaptall 2 to SA adapter? Does this item exist?

I'm pretty sure I can buy an Adaptall 2 to PK . . . . but before I do, I want to be sure the better alternative does not exist.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they did one - at least I've never seen any reference to it.
M42 and modified PK is the easiest. You could modify a canon ef adapter which are available on ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
I don't think they did one - at least I've never seen any reference to it.
M42 and modified PK is the easiest. You could modify a canon ef adapter which are available on ebay.

Thank you, Xpres. Your post confirms my own findings. After considerable searching I could come up with nothing.

Oh, well. So it goes.

I ended up buying an SA to M42, which means I must remain with the double adapters. This was not my first choice, but . . . . . . . . . .

I hope the new SA to M42 (do not have it yet), brass, bought out of Hong Kong, is slightly larger than the PK to M42 I now have in use. The PK to M42 does work, but it is just a bit small and moves around ever so slightly in my SD14. We shall see. Another week or two and I will know.

Last edited by guardian on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
New SD-14 body and yet to take my first photograph. Awaiting receipt of CF memory.

Yesterday's job was to mount my Tamrom SP 90mm F/2.5 model 52B lens onto the camera. This lens uses the Adaptall-2 mount.

Also on hand had:

Tamron Adaptall-2 Custom Mount to adapt M42

and

M42 to PK adapter, brass, bought from a dealer in Texas on eBay

The PK adapter seemed to fit into the SD-14 without trouble or damage to the camera body. Have had it in and out a number of times. The red dot on this PK adapter, though, should/can/must not be lined up with the camera body's red dot when installing. You have to free lance a bit and figure it out before you go ahead.

Problem with the Tamron lens was limited to the iris control pin. It is necessary to depress the pin to achieve the iris setting one dials up. The SD-14 has no provision for this whatsoever. Also, the pin intrudes into the camera body enough to be a nuisance.

To make this work I fabbed up a tiny collar, of brass, which asserts the mechaniam activated by the pin. This is a simpleminded fix, but creating such a tiny part with my big fingers was tough and required several tries.

Finally, with the pin annoyance solved, I screwed everything together and the outcome is good. This morning I was able to test infinity focus and there is no problem. My image in the viewfinder is very clear.

I also have a Tamron-SP 2X Tele Converter model 01F which works with my Tamron lens. I have not yet mounted the converter or tried it, but it should work.

Now if only the CF memory cards would arrive I could take some photos. It will be a few more days, though. Sad

One final thing:

The three Tamron items (lens, converter, and mount) are all in virtually new condition, found that way several years ago at the local thrift shop. In a package deal I paid US$10 for all three . . . a few cents less actually. Not a bad deal. Smile

Forget the Adaptall-PK adapter and get yourself an Adaptall-M42 adapter and a proper M42-SA adapter instead. That way you will have correct infinity focus and the AA pin can be automatically pressed in so you can stop the lenses down normally.

I use the latter combo on my Tamron 90mm f2.5 macro and Tamron adaptall 300mm f2.8.
BTW, I find the contrast on the latter 90 macro is quite low so I switched to a MUCH better macro lens choice for my SD14...The Nikon Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 IF ED...Which I use via the Roxsen Nikon lens to M42 camera adapter plus an M42-SA adapter.
There are a lot of dodgy M42-SA adapters in circulation on ebay.
Avoid any M42-SA adapter that do not have an AA pin compresser flange built in...Here is an example of one that should be avoided:

http://images.virtualvillage.com/005200-029/002.jpg

Also strictly avoid anything that looks like this:

http://images.virtualvillage.com/005200-034/001.jpg

Because that is NOT an M42-SA adapter, its actually an M42-PK adapter!

Here is a link to the Japanese made, high quality, JTAT version, which is a bit pricey but then it is the best quality proper M42-SA adapter available:

http://www.jtat.com/sd/sd_main/SD_M42.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both the jtat and Alex's m42 adapters, i have both versions with and without flange. The flanged version will not allow my Auto Tak 50/1.4 to mount correctly. The version without the flange is great for this lens.

I haven't got much experience with MF lenses yet, but it appears the pins don't fully retract into the body of the lens, is this a correct observation?

I simply swith my auto lenses to manual and away i go.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Warning: I've just discovered, that CZJ Tessar 40/4.5 is unfortunately incompatible with SD14 and can break the IR/dust-filter! It's back parts are protruding too much into the camera body.

Sounds like you might of made the mistake of using an M42-PK adapter instead of a proper M42-SA adapter?
The former is a couple of mm shallower than the latter and therefore it can allow the rear elements of M42 lenses to hit the dust protector. I only know of a couple of M42 lenses that have been reported to hit the dust protector when using a proper M42-SA adapter (The Yashica 28mm f2.8 and the Tomioka 50mm f1.4) but that was reported by only one person...Someone else reported that they did'nt hit the dust protector, so its seems there is some variabilty in fit between supposedly near identical lenses.
If you can show me a picture of your adapter I should be able to confirm what type you have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Sigma SD9 with Exakta mount Reply with quote

Just finished a nice tinkering project. Converted a Sigma SD9 to Exakta mount. Removed the SA bayonet mount and the protecting filter and made a new mount, using a self-made adapter ring that screws to the body which holds the Exakta mount. Decided to have the scale at approx. quarter to twelve, because otherwise my auto-diaphragm lenses from Zeiss, Steinheil, Schacht, etc... would not mount because of that prism "nose". For better focussing, I slaughtered an already broken Porst camera and installed that rangefinder screen at the SD9.
Overall a nice work and everything is working very smooth. Now I can mount my Exakta lenses and it will be fun to choose one for a walk with the SD9 from time to time.

Now that really bad weather has to improve to try it outside.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely Done Klaus Very Happy
That is a great way to make use of the Foveon.

Looking forward to some samples from that 2/85 Sonnar.
It's one of my favorite lenses. Mine is the RF version for Contax.
I've never found a Reflex version for sale Sad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Nicely Done Klaus Very Happy
That is a great way to make use of the Foveon.

Looking forward to some samples from that 2/85 Sonnar.
It's one of my favorite lenses. Mine is the RF version for Contax.
I've never found a Reflex version for sale Sad

No wonder, only a few were made for Exakta.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[DSG wroteThere are a lot of dodgy M42-SA adapters in circulation on ebay.
Avoid any M42-SA adapter that do not have an AA pin compresser flange built in...Here is an example of one that should be avoided:

http://images.virtualvillage.com/005200-029/002.jpg ]

unfortunately i had not read this thread and i bought this one. it seems to work fine, though i just received a sigma 21-35mm m42 whose AA pin is not properly pushed in with this adapter--but this is the first problem i have encountered. can i be doing some kind of damage using this adapter?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Klaus,

Is the SD9 the same as the 10's and 14's with the IR filter, i assume that this modified 9 will be used for IR shots only?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpo83 wrote:
Nice work Klaus,

Is the SD9 the same as the 10's and 14's with the IR filter, i assume that this modified 9 will be used for IR shots only?

Hi, in contrary to the SD10 and SD14, the SD9 has the IR filter combined with the sensor. So it works fine without the dust protector, but I will have to clean the sensor more often.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sigmafellas!
I have recently decided to give M42 lenses a try and also bought one lens. Next question is, which adapter to choose? There are lots of adapters on Ebay and cheapest are under 10e but are they any good?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and welcome

dont try the cheapest. look in this thread for a post by member DSG who has a link to what is probably the best adapter for sigma>m42. i myself use the second adapter listed in that particular post, which is listed as a dont use, and i have not had any problem. however were i just starting i would take DSGs advice as he seems very knowledgeable.

cant wait to see some pictures.
tony