Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shooting style by geographic region
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas and Woodrim. It is worth to see the modern Chinese painting from the a well known artist called Liu Kuo-Sung.
http://sales.artlib.net.tw/artist_detail_with_Allworks.php?name=%E5%8A%89%E5%9C%8B%E6%9D%BE&&wpage=2

Is there any Africa or Antarctica style we can talk about?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Andreas and Woodrim. It is worth to see the modern Chinese painting from the a well known artist called Liu Kuo-Sung.
http://sales.artlib.net.tw/artist_detail_with_Allworks.php?name=%E5%8A%89%E5%9C%8B%E6%9D%BE&&wpage=2

This does not appeal to me.

calvin83 wrote:

Oh, I'm not ready for another yet. Still trying to get my arms around empty space. I wonder if something gets lost in translation or understanding of empty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

This does not appeal to me.

not very much to me neither. but I have not been able to view many, they seem to take forever to load

woodrim wrote:

calvin83 wrote:

Oh, I'm not ready for another yet. Still trying to get my arms around empty space. I wonder if something gets lost in translation or understanding of empty.

oh, this is most certainly so! it is a question of perception and underlying concepts that gets formed from early childhood, mere translation won't do much. If your parents and teachers had showed you from childhood and talked about e.g. the energy flowing in the painting 'Homeward Oxherds in Wind and Rain' quite certainly it would be a simple matter of fact to you now, probably you would be articulate describing the energies you perceive.

African arts, wished we had some knowledgeable members that could tell us. I am thinking of very colorful pattern, and I can't help but think of the 'fantasy coffins' of Ghana, just found my model, better make it an Pentax AP Wink

( from: http://oddculture.com/weird-stuff/fantasy-coffins-of-ghana/attachment/nikon-camera-fantasy-coffin/ )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link may be better and it have some English description about Liu Kuo-Sung too.
http://www.smagtw.com/smagtw_artists_LiuKuoSung.htm

Not ever many people here will know how to see qi inside the painting here. I only have a rough concept on it. The qi in "Homeward Oxherds in Wind and Rain" can be regard as the flow of air(wind). In this painting, the wind is moving from top left to bottom right... The miracle empty space is even more difficult to understand unless you have deep understanding on art, history and humanities etc. in China. This concepts can be understood though experience, but not described in words.

Art have a close relationship with the manner of life in all regions. If one understand how people living in a specific region, it will be much easier to understand the meaning beyond an art piece.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wabi Sabi? Does that translate to 'old and knackered'? Razz Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this today. It is worth to post it here.
Quote:

I'm more interested in a photography that is 'unfinished' - a photography that is suggestive and can trigger a conversation or dialogue. There are pictures that are closed, finished, to which there is no way in. - Paolo Pellegrin, Italian photographer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that quote calvin ,thanks for sharing.I also thank you for your explanations and links to those paintings. I think I can see what you mean,for me there is movement in those paintings some are easy to view some are not...like most paintings there are always the ones that grab you and there are the ones that you can walk on by. I also see how much the paintings (to me) almost reflect the characters in Chinese writing.

I guess trying to translate this into photography would be a little harder. Where you have to seek out the image around you, rather than create it from yourself /idea in a painting and have total control in that creative process.

These are my poor images,I can see the Pattern of the trees against the sky,that interests me but how to make it become "alive" takes more skill.

Cropped and added sepia from the 2nd image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The pictograms on Chinese characters are evolved from paintings. The skills used by Chinese writings are used in paintings.

As a photographer, we cannot invent new things. We will need even more imagination than a painter to become a good photographer.

Talking photos of trees showing the "alive" feeling is not an easy task. Each tree have it own characters. It will take lot of time to practice before we can see the different characters of different trees. Talking a group photo may be even more challenging. You have some nice trees around you and you should able to capture the beauty of the tress when you know them well. This is what I understand as a beginner of photographer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I do understand what you are saying Calvin,just like in the poem at the start of this page ...it was alive with word imagery.How to turn a photographic image into something that conveys the same thought will take time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was feeling really Oriental today, so picked up my Cyclop and went bokeh hunting.

NEX-5N and Cyclop 1.5/85

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2,4,6,7 top Michael!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Attila.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Woodrim, they are great Smile
1,2,4,6,7, specially 2 and 7! so beautiful..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine shoot
https://flic.kr/p/mB4kWm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

Thank you, Kuuan.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems my Primotar 3.5/80 wants to be an Oriental lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Quinar 2.8/135 is a good Oriental lens too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an video from The Art of Photography about the works by famous Hong Kong photographer Fan Ho from 50s to 60s .
http://youtu.be/tmnXHPjhSIM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I was feeling really Oriental today, so picked up my Cyclop and went bokeh hunting.

NEX-5N and Cyclop 1.5/85

How did I miss this?
This image absolutely blows me away.
Five stars from me
OH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sir.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one from yesterday. I have re-upload the old photos too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin: Please explain how this one is Oriental style. I am not criticizing, just want to understand your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, bernhardas. And thanks for your interpretation of Calvin's picture.

I have noticed that I haven't contributed my more recent images to the thread. Since I was part, if not largely responsible for the thread, I will post some now, even if I have shared them elsewhere.

This image was well accepted when posted elsewhere:

And some others...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bernhardas. I think this photo may not be well accepted here but it is great that the members like it.

woodrim wrote:

Calvin: Please explain how this one is Oriental style. I am not criticizing, just want to understand your thoughts.

I think the analogous colour, the painting bokeh and the composition make it oriental(similar to the tradition painting I mentioned in this thread).

woodrim wrote:

I like this one. It seems the bubble are popping from the flower. Smile