Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Scanning" a slide with 5d
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: "Scanning" a slide with 5d Reply with quote

After an hour or so struggling with the pentax bellows, eos adapter, industar-61 focusing, and bellow slide holder, I managed to get a sort-of focused image (hooray!), but alas, it covers only about 2/3rds of the whole photo, not more. I seem to be unable to enlarge the view enough to include the whole slide (I would be content also of a 90% or so). Either I get it enlarge, or I get it focused.
Any suggestion that can help with this?
What setup do you use for such task?

Here's my result (from a slide originally photographed with Contax 167MT and Planar 1.4/85 wide open)
Forgive about the dirty slide - I didn't think of blowing the dust off.

image 1

Last edited by Orio on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, can't help you there, but would like to see a comparison of this with
a scan from your Epson 4490.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have improved !!!
Look at this:

image 2

For the first time outside of wall projection, I really FEEL what my Planar 2/45 can do!

And... I managed to get the full frame! (I set the frame a bit oblique though).

Bill, I have scanned photos from this roll (a Velvia 100) with my Epson scanner before, and well, I join poilu - this system works much better than my scanner!
Not that I blame it on the scanner directly - perhaps it's a matter of focusing due to poor Epson film holders - but I never got this sharpness from my Epson scans without oversharpening the result - this "photoscan", instead, is only barely sharpened!

Last edited by Orio on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, that looks great! Shocked Does Poilu do negs this way, or only
slides?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Geez, that looks great! Shocked Does Poilu do negs this way, or only
slides?

I think he does negs too - my duplicator holder only takes framed slides, so I'd need to frame my negatives to duplicate - quite unconfortable.
Maybe poilu will tell us how does he handle the negatives.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, looks great , better than scans!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy!!!
Now I know I can scan a roll of slides in not so much more time than I need to prepare my digital photos.
It will really push me to use film more!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this shot from your G2?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Is this shot from your G2?

Yes !!
Lovely, isn't it?? Very Happy Very Happy
Almost look as neat as digital! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was going to say! It's about the detail I see, too. I presume
you shoot these slides in RAW to work with, right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this resolution I see no difference with digital Shocked I bought also a slight copier setup and I have a Leica Macro Elmarit 4/100 I suppose I need to give it a try Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
That's what I was going to say! It's about the detail I see, too.

Yes, detail is provided by Planar 2/45 (a lens with a reputation!), plus the absence of noise is thanks to Velvia 100.

Katastrofo wrote:
I presume
you shoot these slides in RAW to work with, right?

Yes! In fact I have used the contrast control inside RAW editor, because the shot at normal setting could not hold both the darks and the brights.

I'm very happy! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm, I have two bellows. It may retire my scanner to just doing my
medium format stuff.

Orio, show some more of these when you get a chance!

Last edited by Katastrofo on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
On this resolution I see no difference with digital Shocked

Me neither! Shocked

Attila wrote:
I bought also a slight copier setup and I have a Leica Macro Elmarit 4/100 I suppose I need to give it a try Laughing

With a Leica you can't go wrong - just think that I got this result using a humble 25 Euros Industar !! Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid Leica will not much better Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can remove the "pathetic tentative" from your thread title... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one:

image 3

I missed the focus a bit, but perhaps it adds to the mood - what is striking me is how clean is the output even from a underexposed slide.
This scanning method really renders clean clean files! Surprised

Last edited by Orio on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I think you can remove the "pathetic tentative" from your thread title... Laughing

Laughing
right Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio!

These look SO nice! My Epson V700 has not shown me much for 35mm slides, especially after seeing your results. Shocked

I looked for poilu's thread on "scanning" with the camera and bellows, but I am missing it somehow.

Would you briefly explain your workflow for this type of scanning?

I have many 35mm slides, and I would love to see if I could get the same results.

Orio! If this turns out to be a success for you (and it certainly looks like it is), then how could you MISS with your G2 and Provia? Cool Shocked Very Happy

In fact, if I could approach this type of success, I would SERIOUSLY consider getting the G2. I already "wanted" the G2, but your examples here would COMPEL me to get the G2, or another quick and beautiful rangefinder for my "fast work" 35mm shooting!

Wow, a sort of possible "revolution"?!?

The "copy" from your Planar is simply fantastic. I too, feel as if you are showing the potential of the Planar. The detail and overall resolution seems excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry !
I will make a photo of my setup - well, without the 5D, because I need it to take the photo Laughing
For the moment, I explain with words.
I have, in chain:

- the 5D
- a EOS-M42 adapter with FA chip
- an Asahi "automatic" bellows (but manual will work the same) which has a detacheable first screw part that fits into the M42 adapter on one side, and on the other side is "clamped" by a tightening screw at the beginning of the bellows.
- on the other end of the bellows, I have a female M42 structure, on which I screw the lens, which is an Industar-61 (50mm macro)
- finally, on the same metal bar that holds the bellows, I fit the end part which is the slide holder, also provided with a bellows. It clamps on the edge of the industar barrel with another tightening screw.

You will understand at a glance from the photo Wink

The most difficult part was to arrange the correct distances for all parts. THere are three "variables": the asahi bellows, the industar itself (which focuses with the ring), and the bellows of the slide adapter.
On the bar of the asahi bellows there are written the distances for various focal lenghts, but I admit that it gave me a bit of headache so I didn't use them and tried empirically Laughing Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
These are truly excellent.
And I agree fully on the mood the missed focus gives the shot of the girl.
She looks distracted or confused a bit.
The focus being away from her face really emphasizes that.
Very nice, I never tire of these shots Orio.

This technique I wish to try with some B+W negs also.
How are you lighting the back of the slide for exposure?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks Larry !
I will make a photo of my setup - well, without the 5D, because I need it to take the photo Laughing
For the moment, I explain with words.
I have, in chain:

- the 5D
- a EOS-M42 adapter with FA chip
- an Asahi "automatic" bellows (but manual will work the same) which has a detacheable first screw part that fits into the M42 adapter on one side, and on the other side is "clamped" by a tightening screw at the beginning of the bellows.
- on the other end of the bellows, I have a female M42 structure, on which I screw the lens, which is an Industar-61 (50mm macro)
- finally, on the same metal bar that holds the bellows, I fit the end part which is the slide holder, also provided with a bellows. It clamps on the edge of the industar barrel with another tightening screw.

You will understand at a glance from the photo Wink

The most difficult part was to arrange the correct distances for all parts. THere are three "variables": the asahi bellows, the industar itself (which focuses with the ring), and the bellows of the slide adapter.
On the bar of the asahi bellows there are written the distances for various focal lenghts, but I admit that it gave me a bit of headache so I didn't use them and tried empirically Laughing Rolling Eyes

THANK YOU Orio...I'm just blown away by the obvious QUALITY you are showing. I have some really fine 35mm images from Velvia and Provia and K25 from years gone by (at least I think they are fine images Confused ), and this is making me think that this is the solution for speeding my workflow AND gaining better scans than I'm currently getting from the V700 for 35mm!!!!! Shocked

I have a feeling that, this process coupled with your fantastic skill in the 35mm realm, may bring your work to yet another level, Orio. I mean, you CERTAINLY have the lenses to work with, and those lenses plus "Orio" result in an awesome combination.

I look forward to more, if you would be so kind as to show some more.

Amazing....

Oh, I found poilu's thread as well...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

This technique I wish to try with some B+W negs also.

Yes, plenty of possibilities!

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
How are you lighting the back of the slide for exposure?

I use a normal tungsten bulb lamp.
What I did was, I took a photo of the slide holder empty - basically I photographed the perspex plate.
Then I used the shot to set a manual white balance.
But it felt too cold for my taste (perhaps the perspex wasn't neutral), so instead I set a temperature K of 2900 Kelvins in the 5D, and that worked perfect.
THe funniest thing is, even with long exposure, I don't use a tripod, because the slide holder moves together with the camera! Poor man's Image Stabilization! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I have a feeling that, this process coupled with your fantastic skill in the 35mm realm, may bring your work to yet another level, Orio. I mean, you CERTAINLY have the lenses to work with, and those lenses plus "Orio" result in an awesome combination.
I look forward to more, if you would be so kind as to show some more.
Amazing....

Thanks Larry for the kind words! Yes I am excited by the possibliity of finally seeing the result of my G2 lenses, without the shortcomings of poor scanning. It really opens me a new set of possibilities, you said it perfectly!

Laurence wrote:
Oh, I found poilu's thread as well...

Coudl you please link to it? So we gather resources in this thread and perhaps with the contribution of poilu we can make it a sticky.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one, always G2, Planar 2/45, and Velvia 100:

image 4

I am now for the first time, after more than two years, really discovering my Planar 2/45. Surprised
Look at the rides on the forehead of the big puppet!
It is now for the first time that I REALLY understand why Zeiss itself declared that the Planar 2/45 was the sharpest normal lens ever made!

Last edited by Orio on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total