Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Retina Reflex lenses...can you identify and how to use?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Retina Reflex lenses...can you identify and how to use? Reply with quote

A friend of mine inherited this lens and I have no idea what it is. Can anyone tell me?

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, you can use for macro shoots if you fixed on camera with glued tape.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's for a Kodak Retina camera:

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/KodakRetinaReflex.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retina lens, you can focus to infinite with this one on a Canon EOS.

_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Only problem is the adapter needed - it's about 120euros from Roxsen. I intend getting one eventually so I can use my Retina and Voigtlander lenses on my Canon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Orio wrote:

Only problem is the adapter needed - it's about 120euros from Roxsen. I intend getting one eventually so I can use my Retina and Voigtlander lenses on my Canon.

If for Patrick the Retina mount is not important, he could glue an EOS adapter on the mount (trying different ones until he find one with compatible register distance). Of course it would be a pity to deface the lens. But I know the lens and I think that it's not worth a 120 Euros adapter.

_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retina Reflex lenses were designed to work with a behind-the-lens leaf shutter, which is well forward of the film plane and has a very small opening. This resulted in some compromises in lens design, such as a 135mm that won't focus closer than 14 feet. The normal lenses aren't much affected by these issues, but the limitations of the range as a whole would seem to me to make the investment in an adapter less rewarding than in more conventional systems. On top of that, the adapter is very complex as it has to include the aperture control system, which was part of the camera body rather than the lens.

Besides the Retina Reflex, the lenses can be used on the Retina IIIS rangefinder, the Instamatic Reflex (126 film) and, with very slight modification, the Voigtlander Bessamatic.... none of which really makes the whole thing much more attractive.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounting this lens to EOS cameras will be tricky. The register distance for Retina camera is 44.7mm and for Canon EOS is 44mm. You really need to take the Retina lens mount out, fix the EOS mount to lens (like M42-EOS adapter).
Never thought of this.. worth trying...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, you have no aperture ring and the lens defaults to f/22 when it's not mounted on the Retina Reflex. Great depth of field for macro, but focusing might be a little dim.....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there absolutely no way to work the aperture?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will advise him to give it away Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Thanks for the learned input guys

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is the coupling lever on the back, if you can figure out a way to operate it from the outside once the lens is mounted. might be a good candidate for using on a reversing ring, then you could reach the lever.

if you do operate the coupling lever, there is no way to tell what aperture you are using.... the aperture scale is on the body, not the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Tak wrote:
Is there absolutely no way to work the aperture?

Without the proper adapter, no. The little tangs that operate it are fiddly and don't stick out the side, but here's a guy who's adapted some of his to fit Pentax K.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmybigeye.myweb.hinet.net%2Fbig5%2Fphotodiy.htm&langpair=zh%7Cen&hl=EN&ie=UTF-8

Click on the left 'Kodak Retina' to open up a series of Kodak lenses he's adapted using aperture rings from other lenses and mounts. The translation is very patchy.