Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Removing bad smell from your cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Removing bad smell from your cameras Reply with quote

Hello.

Lately I`ve been getting cameras which have been lying around in basements or other humid, cold of otherwise unsuitable places for cameras , with a very strong and bad smell of fungus,mold and age. I`ve tried washing the cameras with spirits and it did help to remove the bad smell from smaller pieces like lenses , caps and etc. however it did not remove the smell from the cameras themselves , nor did it help the leather cases. Now I`m going to expose the cameras to sunlight and heat them up. I`ve heard that dry outdoor weather + intense heat from the sun do in fact kill all the smelly particles. I`m not shure that this will do the trick and therefore I`m asking you for assistance.
I believe that at least some of you have dealt or come across such an issue and have solutions. Please share with me , and other members your knowlidge.

Thanks. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air circulation, it's the only way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weak acetic acid solution, such as distilled vinegar, will neutralize the odorous sulfur compounds, metabolic waste from molds, fungi, & bacteria. Works for underarms too! (use organic apple cider vinegar, not distilled!) Wink

Clean the vinegar from metal or it will rust. Cameras can be put in a closed box with a dish of vinegar instead of washing directly.

Last edited by visualopsins on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks of such a fast reply. Well...I will just have to take half of my cameras out to the wilds and let them roam free for a while. Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Weak acetic acid solution, such as distilled vinegar, will neutralize the odorous sulfur compounds, metabolic waste from molds, fungi, & bacteria. Works for underarms too! (use organic apple cider vinegar, not distilled!) Wink

Clean the vinegar from metal or it will rust. Cameras can be put in a closed box with a dish of vinegar instead of washing directly.

+1 and keep on fresh air for a while if you can, a toilette spray can help too Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some where about using lemon juice as it has some acid but not enough to take the special surfaces off of some lenses or cameras...I have tried this on my Pancolar 2/50...it does remove the grime and I guess any smell would go as well?
Try it at your own risk but there is a lot to be said about lemons and cleaning on the net...ie Aluminum polished surfaces.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try placing the camera in a tuperware container that has rice in it, Rice absorbs humidy and smells very easly (great if you ever wet electronics)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I read some where about using lemon juice as it has some acid but not enough to take the special surfaces off of some lenses or cameras...I have tried this on my Pancolar 2/50...it does remove the grime and I guess any smell would go as well?
Try it at your own risk but there is a lot to be said about lemons and cleaning on the net...ie Aluminum polished surfaces.

There speaks a very wise lady who knows how to de-odourise her microwave! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dryer sheets help, too. Though they make your gear smell like it just came from the laundry. I did that with a Minolta and a foam-filled case that smelled of smoke and something else, and the case doesn't have a smell any more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting solutions everybody, thanks alot. In a few days I`ll take my cameras up to my summer home where I will experiment with both the rice , sheets and good old sunlight + fresh air circulation. However I think that I will leave other methods that suggests using acids as a last resort. Thanks to everyone for your help. I will post my results later on. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u can try using Toothpaste, i remember that it can remove any smell and polishes iron/silver. But try this on something u don't care about first ^^. (use old toothpaste whit no crystals/other adds).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeting everyone. So I have returned form my summer home with my "dried out cameras" .
I`ve tired 2 ways how to remove that disgusting smell. I took several cameras and left them out in the sun for 2 days and in no time the smell was gone. All of the cameras and leather cases now smell normally with no disgusting aroma whatsoever.
I have also tried to put one cameras in a box containing rice, however the results where disappointing. My kiev smells the same and the rice are no longer fit to eat Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you can see action in progress:

Cameras drying:

Leather cases:

And assembled cameras ( a.k.a. brag Smile ) :

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
My kiev smells the same and the rice are no longer fit to eat Very Happy

Drack, don't worry, ALL ex-Soviet cameras have that smell. They build in a smelly capsule when the camera is assembled at the factory, consisting of vodka, dried caviar and stale Sobranie smoke. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Drack wrote:
My kiev smells the same and the rice are no longer fit to eat Very Happy

Drack, don't worry, ALL ex-Soviet cameras have that smell. They build in a smelly capsule when the camera is assembled at the factory, consisting of vodka, dried caviar and stale Sobranie smoke. Smile

Laughing

Looks like nature is still the best solution.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really gets to me when the camera gets that old cabinet storage smell. And if you have not used a bag for a long time and uses it with your camera, the smell can really stick.

Though I try to clean my kit after every use, you still can't avoid it to catch some scent. For starters, you can opt to rub some alcohol on it. Do not soak whatever you are going to use as that would let a big pool go down on holes, which would be a nightmare even though they will surely dry after a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A solution of sodium bicarbonate is pretty good at neutralising smells, but I'd not like to wipe or spray it on any cameras. Smile
I've read somewhere that leaving a bowl of soda bic crystals in a fridge will help to keep the odours down (also, wiping the inside of the fridge with the sb solution is the best way to clean it - which I have tried, and it works). If you use the sb in the same manner as the rice, it might work.
I've been using soda bic as a spray de-odouriser for a few years - it does work, but mainly for smelly items like dogs, cats, etc; never tried it on a camera or case.