Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Production resumed Helios 40-2, Zenitar, TeleZenitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The performance and flare look identical to my experience with copies from the 70s and 80s, therefore I suspect that
the coating has not been improved.

I have a good news for you Smile
(translation - Google)

1. http://zenit-foto.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=610&Itemid=104
"JSC "Krasnogorsk Plant. SA Zvereva" invites legal persons and individual entrepreneurs to participate in an open one stage tender without preliminary qualification for the right to:
- Agreement for the supply of five axis machining center with a set of related activities for the needs of the JSC "Krasnogorsk Plant. SA Zvereva "(Lot number 14)."

2. http://zenit-foto.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=611&Itemid=104
"JSC "Krasnogorsk Plant. SA Zvereva" invites legal persons and individual entrepreneurs to participate in an open one stage tender without preliminary qualification for the right to:
- Agreement for the supply of high-precision turning center (turning machine) with a set of related activities for the needs of the Open JSC "Krasnogorsk Plant. SA Zvereva "(Lot number 12).

Perhaps we'll soon see something interesting from KMZ Smile
A breakthrough in technology and complete victory over samyang Smile
Or ... new T-34 tank with a thick lens ... who knows!? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha_M wrote:

Can you please shoot some portraits with the lens, maybe over the weekend?
Also, can you do it with comparison to the old chrome \ silver \ white version that you own, please?

That would be very interesting!

OK, I'll try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fotkino"]
nixland wrote:
fotkino wrote:

Fotkino, could you do some shots for flare test? With the sun is just outside the frame.

Hooray! The sun! Smile

I caught the sunbeams, in the picture the best results that I got. When the sun is not in line of sight of the lens - is the expected loss of contrast. When the sun is in the frame - depending on the angle. From a small flare up of the rainbow Smile
If we compare with a silver version of the lens - excellent protected from flare I think.

Thank you for doing the test & sharing the test photos. I really appreciate it.

Based on your test photos, I think it's like what Orio said that the coating is the same with the old one.

Below is my recent shot with my 40-2.

Top : against evening sun with 3rd party metal hood attached

Bottom : under the tent, sun from right side .... when there's no strong light from the front, the 40-2 rocks! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this listing on ebay...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Just came across this listing on ebay...

Interesting! Let's wait for the final price Smile I think finally 600$ will look much interesting than it Wink
Anyway, I got no new lenses right now Sad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Ebay listing from rus_camera, BIN for US $1,200!

Click here to see on Ebay

Here's what he says in the listing. Obviously I have no idea if it's true but I'll post it for your education/amusement -

Quote:

I asked my friend-photographer to compare new and old Helios.
In new Helios there is no tripod mount ring.
The focusing ring differs. Other coating of lenses.

In the pictures we didn't notice essential differences.
Probably, it occurred because factory standards at a new and old lens same.
There is informal information. Ostensibly the first party of lenses was made from old lenses , made in the eighties.

On old lenses put a new coating. If it is the truth, then it is clear why in sale less than 50 pieces of lenses arrived. The stock of old lenses probably ended. There is information that the new party will be already from new lenses. And factory price will be above. Prime cost price of a new lens will be higher than $600. And what will be selling price knows nobody. Lenses from the first party already became a big rarity. We managed to buy three lenses at the price of several times above the declared. You could see that they aren't present on sale. The plant stopped productions of them . Otherwise all ebay would be filled up new Helios.

EDIT - if this info is true then congratulations to fotkino, your new Helios is a rare and valuable item. Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

And just think that 2 weeks ago you could buy that in Moscow for 200$ (the website even said that in the shop they had 20% off all prices as a sale act due to the arrival of the new lenses...) .

It would be really funny to see people buying the "new" ones 2-4 times (or even more!) the price than what you will have to pay for an old, chrome, Helios-40 (M39), even with red "n" on it.
The 400$-500$ they are asking for the "silver \ white" versions doesn't sound that out there now, eh? Wink

Anyway, I think that when the really new (although still using 1989 standards...) with the modern canon \ nikon mounts will hit the market, prices fro the M42 versions will drop... I hope, at least, that they do; would really like to own an early "0\00\000" chrome Helios-40! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misha_M wrote:
(the website even said that in the shop they had 20% off all prices as a sale act due to the arrival of the new lenses...) .

That's not correct. They wrote 20% off all prices on site, but in real life there was no discount on Helios 40-2.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Another Ebay listing from rus_camera, BIN for US $1,200!

Click here to see on Ebay

$1200 !!!?? .... Mamma mia ... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks rus_camera is price gouging before the lens becomes more widely available, but hey, I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Helios 40-2 Reply with quote

I am very interested in getting a 40-2 again, as i sold mine because i had such a hard time focussing it on my Olympus E-3. Now i am migrated to the mFT system which is much more convenient for MF lenses.
Hope to get one for the official price (I remember i bought mine in 2008 for 125 euros and sold it again for 150 euros......)!
I hope can get help via this forum, to order one directly from Moscow Smile

kind regards,

Ulli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Uli!

Be careful with order throw this forum , no guarantee finally you will receive it.

I had this lens multiply times I always sold not worth more than 300 USD , if I willing to spend higher amount my choice will be Pancolar 80, Planar 85mm , Samyang 85mm etc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Attila,
I will keep that in mind.
it's just that I like the swirly/crazy/funky bokeh of this lens alot.
200 euros for a new one would be more in line with my budget Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulli65 wrote:
Thx Attila,
I will keep that in mind.
it's just that I like the swirly/crazy/funky bokeh of this lens alot.
200 euros for a new one would be more in line with my budget Smile

200 EUR will fit to any of us, indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today new lenses arrived in the KMZ shop, but they have a new cost now. 12600 in roubles and even with that cost all lenses was sold in first day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinkerator wrote:
Today new lenses arrived in the KMZ shop, but they have a new cost now. 12600 in roubles and even with that cost all lenses was sold in first day.

Fair price so I not surprise, all get sold, fingers crossed to get great success and company will alive again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Pinkerator wrote:

Fair price so I not surprise, all get sold, fingers crossed to get great success and company will alive again.

Hmmm. Now I wouldn't be surprised if they sell the next batch at 16,000R Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Attila wrote:
Pinkerator wrote:

Hmmm. Now I wouldn't be surprised if they sell the next batch at 16,000R Very Happy

Laughing yes. What makes me worry they not find price level what is enough to earn , but sell well too. Like Arsat last products, hopefully this time will be better luck to them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$400 is still bordering on OK, but more than that and there's no point since lets face it, the helios 40 isn't really a great lens, it is just "desirable". However, what evidence is there to back this new price up other than the word of someone on the internet?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirrith wrote:
$400 is still bordering on OK, but more than that and there's no point since lets face it, the helios 40 isn't really a great lens, it is just "desirable". However, what evidence is there to back this new price up other than the word of someone on the internet?

I agree and hope Russian nation have enough wealth now to keep own factory to run and pay a little more than IQ level suggest.
If they can make good marketing perhaps help to yield own product vs competitors.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume even if old factory line is kept it wouldn't be hard to add modern hi-quality nano coatings. Everybody would pay
some more to have such glass. A bit of flare resistance, contrast boost and digital sensor friendliness. I still play with idea this is old batch found in army warehouse.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potential sales are probably not large so who would be prepared to make the huge capital investments to have the latest equipment for applying modern coatings?

Then again, they are a military optics supplier too so they probably already have the ability to apply modern coatings.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Potential sales are probably not large so who would be prepared to make the huge capital investments to have the latest equipment for applying modern coatings?

Then again, they are a military optics supplier too so they probably already have the ability to apply modern coatings.

If they still run military production , there have surely latest and important technology, may not called APO DX, BRA and 64 bit encoded Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

The 1990s coatings on Russian lenses are pretty good anyways, I have a Zenitar M2S from the late 90s and the coatings on that are excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is best evidence Smile From Zenit shop.