Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax K10d and Manual focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here! You have am impressive lens list, many of them my favorite lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Thanks for you kind words Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice to see you here! You have am impressive lens list, many of them my favorite lenses.

I'm currently scouring e-bay for suitable candidates from the Zeiss and Leica families! Trouble is that unlike many of the Pentax lenses (I have more than listed!) which I picked up 'for nothing' during the hiatus when Pentax did not have a popular offering, and people unloaded to move to Canon and Nikon, I seem to have stumbled across the benefits of the 4/3 system rather late? I was put off by the lack of 'native' affordable good lenses, without thinking of the merits of adapters. Silly me! Oh well, and you hail from Budapest, one of my all-time favourite places. As a European exiled in America I miss the sites and sights of my home continent!

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come sometimes here many people love to photography old cities as mine. My main interest is Carl Zeiss Jena lenses, but I found many many good Olympus and Nikkor lenses too. I tested so many Takumars, but generally I like them less than above lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Come sometimes here many people love to photography old cities as mine. My main interest is Carl Zeiss Jena lenses, but I found many many good Olympus and Nikkor lenses too. I tested so many Takumars, but generally I like them less than above lenses.

How funny! I just (5 mins ago) bought an Oreston 50mm 1.8 on e-bay only a few dollars, so no great shame if it's no good, but it looked fine and seems to have reasonable reviews, no Pancolor perhaps but????? I remember having one of these on an Exacta (really a practica product) RTL10000 way back when I could still touch my toes! Been to Budapest, loved it and hated leaving! Along with Prague and Vienna (and Amsterdam for its compactness) one of my all time favourites!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prague and Vienna are so clean nice looking cities, Budapest unfortunately not thanks for our liberal politicians.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate... Sorry

Last edited by xtriky on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentaxian,

Today, I did sucessfully convert the Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4 into P/K. I repeated almost exactly the same as cogitech in his instruction of converting the Minolta 58/1.2 to EOS http://www.cogitech.ca/Rokkor/index.html . The only extra work is to sand the lens mount shim a little more. This helps the lens focus to infinity due to the longer register distance of P/K compared to EOS.

Everything works fine and here are some sample shots of the Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4 on my K10D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtriky wrote:
Today, I did sucessfully convert the Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4 into P/K.

Congrats xtriky, this conversion looks like a great success judging by the lovely pictures you took with the converted lens.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww I love that squirrel!!

Here where I live, we mostly have red squirrel (colour similar to red fox).
Brown squirrels sometimes, but less often.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtriky wrote:
Pentaxian,

Today, I did sucessfully convert the Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4 into P/K. ....

wow, I find this great news and of outmost interest xtriky!

Did Minolta produce different kind of MF lenses or asking differently, can thus all MF Minolta lenses be converted to fit on K mount?

I definityely want to learn how to and try to do this!

great photos, the squirrel is amazing!

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great pics, nice colors xtriky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job, very nice vivid colurs!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

Did Minolta produce different kind of MF lenses or asking differently, can thus all MF Minolta lenses be converted to fit on K mount?

cheers,
Andreas

I am not very familiar with Minolta MF lenses so can't tell you if they all can be converted to P/K or not. However, I think all Rokkor lenses that have a "lens mount shim" can be successfully converted to P/K in the same way I did.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtriky wrote:
kuuan wrote:

cheers,
Andreas

I am not very familiar with Minolta MF lenses so can't tell you if they all can be converted to P/K or not. However, I think all Rokkor lenses that have a "lens mount shim" can be successfully converted to P/K in the same way I did.

hm..you may have misunderstood the term MF, what I meant with MF was Manual Focus lenses
What is the "lens mount shim"?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

hm..you may have misunderstood the term MF, what I meant with MF was Manual Focus lenses
What is the "lens mount shim"?

I think I got you right on the term MF. As far as I know all Minolta MF lenses are known as Rokkor. For the "lens mout shim", You'd better go to the link I gave. In that link, cogitech shows a detailed steps by steps intruction in coverting Minolta to EOS. You need to sand the "lens mount shim" to obtain the infinity focus for P/K.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, first post here !! I have 2 Pentax DSLRs, K10D, and K110D. I have recently purchased 2 Super Takumar lenses, and have heard ( but can't remember where ) that there is an Olympus magnifying eyepiece that will fit on the Pentax cameras. I really need help manual focusing, but do not want to go with a different focusing screen, as I have heard that they may mess with metering on modern AF lenses. Does anyone know the model number of the Olympus eyepiece? I would love to give it a try and see if it helps my manual focusing accuracy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: original Pentax eyepiece Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

Please enjoy your Super Takumars!

I do not know of the Olympus eyepiece, but I have the original Pentax eyepiece called 'O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe Magnifying Eyecup for Pentax'.
It has magnification of x1.18, I only use that and no split screen and find it very helpful for manual focusing.
since you live in the US see:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469574-REG/Pentax_30150_O_ME53_Magnifying_Eyecup.html

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andreas, I just ordered it, and the hot shoe cover that I lost several months ago, haha. Hopefully this will help me be a bit more accurate with my manual focusing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy that you decided to buy it, you will like it.
I remember when I first tried it out in the shop with my AF lens mounted I thought that it doesn't make any noticeable difference.
When I then tried to focus with a manual lens mounted I realized that the difference is remarkable.
Do you have the M42/K mount adapter already? You have wonderful manual lenses, I am sure you will enjoy them very much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Happy that you decided to buy it, you will like it.
I remember when I first tried it out in the shop with my AF lens mounted I thought that it doesn't make any noticeable difference.
When I then tried to focus with a manual lens mounted I realized that the difference is remarkable.
Do you have the M42/K mount adapter already? You have wonderful manual lenses, I am sure you will enjoy them very much.

Yes, I bought it a few months ago. My father has two old Spotmatics, and one of them has a pristine Super Multi Coated 50mm f1.4 on it, so I just had to try it, haha. I am really looking forward to trying out this eyepiece with my Taks !!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd post in here as well.

I a only new to SLRs (well my first foray into is is DSLRs) ... and my first one was my K10D I bought new for my B'day in July in 2007. Since then it has been a steep learning curve ... and I am still learning really.

I now have 2 K10Ds ... I have split my kit up into AF and MF (or moreso M42 and K-mount ... with the exception of my Zenitar F/E).

After extensive reading/learning/playing around ... I can safely say that in my 18 months (or thereabouts) of ownership ... that I really prefer MF over AF anyday of the week (except when chasing my 2 year old nieces ... hahaha).

What I thought was going to be a daunting practice of figuring out how to use M42 lenses on a DSLR ... but hell ... Pentax made it a piece of cake to use (I do prefer to use M over Av as well ... the Green button exposes much better than Av does for some reason).

I still do use AF ... but nowhere near as much as MF now ... I love the control I have using M.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtriky wrote:
Pentaxian,

Today, I did sucessfully convert the Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4 into P/K. I repeated almost exactly the same as cogitech in his instruction of converting the Minolta 58/1.2 to EOS http://www.cogitech.ca/Rokkor/index.html . The only extra work is to sand the lens mount shim a little more. This helps the lens focus to infinity due to the longer register distance of P/K compared to EOS.

Everything works fine and here are some sample shots of the Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4 on my K10D

Could you please post more information on how you did this? The link died and there's no record in the Wayback Machine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I recall from reading the page, there's a shim under the Minolta mount. Throw the shim away (and if necessary, thin the mount too) then mount the EOS ring (new holes needed in EOS ring). The stop-down arm of the Minolta will have to be removed, iirc.
The lack of shim just about brings the register into alignment with the EOS register.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Ricehigh AKA Pentax doom and gloom King Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
The Pentax Corporation will be disbanded on March 31, 2008
This will finally mark a full stop to the 88-year old Asahi / Pentax company which was first established in the November of the Year 1919.

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2007/10/hoya-is-to-dismiss-pentax-by-this.html

BTW Mr ricehigh, what DSLR has 720p HD video and HDR mode in a twin lens kit that cover the 18-300mm FL range for $849.95 MSRP ? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Best body for m42 and focusing screens Reply with quote

I have a collection of M42 lenses that I started 40 years ago, upgraded over the years, and never made the switch to bayonet. After my Mamiya bodies wore out I used these with Fujica ST and AX series bodies with an AX adapter. Now I want to use them on a digital body.

In reading so far, it would appear that the Pentax K10D suits my interest and budget the best. I have no interest in using any other than M42 manual focus lenses on my future digital body.

Q1 - Is the Pentax the "best" body in the sense that it allows the least cumbersome use of these lenses (switching between open aperture for focusing and stopped down for metering and taking???)

Q2 - What are people doing about changing the viewscreen to make manual focusing a little easier?

Q3 - What options on the adapter ring are there?

Q4 - Is there any reasonably appropriate body for these lenses with a full size chip?

Here are my lenses:
28mm f3.5 EBC Fujinon-SW
35mm f2.8 Flektagon (aus Jena)
55mm f1.8 Fujinon
50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar
105mm f2.8 SMC Takumar
135mm f2.5 SMC Takumar
200mm f4.5 EBC Fujinon-T
400mm f5.6 RMC Tokina
35-105mm f3.5-4.5 RMC Tokina

I also have extension rings, Asahi bellows and slide copier, Asahi microscope adapter, and an Asahi reversing ring.