Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No Film To Check Camera?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: No Film To Check Camera? Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of auctions on ebay with "Sold As Is" statments attached to the auction. Some people just dont have time to test cameras and other know very little about the gear they are selling.

This guy claims he has no film to check the camera... Very Happy

It made me laugh.

I looked at his feedback and it is less than outstanding. He had a complaint about a camera not working and simply stated he listed the item as, "Sold As Is".

I looked at that auction and he stated the same thing, "No film to check camera"..... Very Happy

Thats just too funny! This guy must know he can buy a roll of film for about 4.00 USD.

I think he knows that the items he is selling are defected.

Here's an auction of his listed right now.

Click here to see on Ebay

Last edited by spiralcity on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film + processing is not free, it can be justified for valued cameras, but they are rare. A simple method to test speeds accuracy is to use a DSLR in manual mode with the body to test fixed to the DSLR'slens with a reverse ring, it's my method when I want to test a body without film. It does not test light leaks, but at least speeds Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also listed that camera comes with a

# Lens: X-FUJINON
* 1:1.2
* f = 55mm
* FUJI PHOTO FILM JAPAN

and that is a plain bullshit. My advice: leave him alone! I wouldn't buy from a guy like him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Film + processing is not free, it can be justified for valued cameras, but they are rare. A simple method to test speeds accuracy is to use a DSLR in manual mode with the body to test fixed to the DSLR'slens with a reverse ring, it's my method when I want to test a body without film. It does not test light leaks, but at least speeds Wink

I sell on ebay and I would never claim that I have NO film to test the camera. Besides the speeds you want to check that your seals dont leak ,so running a roll through a camera you want to sell makes sense.

And what about the accuracy of the meter?

12.00 to test his camera for auction.

I guess some people just dont want to be bothered.

STATE THAT IN THE AUCTION!

There is film to test the camera.... GEEEEZ!!! Shocked

Last edited by spiralcity on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy from sellers who have 'no film/battery to test', having been stung once, though it has to be remarked in passing that a previous camera sale of this chap's realised about $6, so a $4 film & processing wouldn't have been economic sense.

That apart, a 'no film/battery to test' should be seen as a clear and loud warning that the seller is writing to conceal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***I looked at that auction and he stated the same thing, "No film to check camera"..... Very Happy

Thats just too funny! This guy must know he can buy a roll of film for about 4.00 USD.

Here's an auction of his listed right now.***

You are hard to please..dunno what postage is but if you get it for $12.99 something might work, surely the lens must be worth that and worth a gamble for a first bid.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
though it has to be remarked in passing that a previous camera sale of this chap's realised about $6, so a $4 film & processing wouldn't have been economic sense.
I've realize that too but you know it's not always abou the money. Besides that there's the posibility that he might sell for more IF he had it done right.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piticu wrote:
Besides that there's the posibility that he might sell for more IF he had it done right.

There is a surprising number of auctions where the seller has not taken much care over his presentation, and has lost on his sale potential. Good photographs, well lit and in sharp focus, can add a lot to the final value. I've found it can also make a significant difference to include an exmaple photo taken with the camera or lens. Those auctions that include a 'no film to test' caveat usually suggest to me that the seller is re-selling a perhaps too-hasty earlier purchase or a previous eBay job lot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often come across the term "snappy",I am beginning to think a lot of sellers copy each others terminology....would be a great sticky to have some of the terms translated....LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***I looked at that auction and he stated the same thing, "No film to check camera"..... Very Happy

Here's an auction of his listed right now.***

You are hard to please..dunno what postage is but if you get it for $12.99 something might work, surely the lens must be worth that and worth a gamble for a first bid.

I dont care what the price is on the item, thats not my point.

If your selling on ebay be honest.

This seller has ove 4000 sales and his feedback is 98.5. He has many unhappy buyers.

List the item as" unchecked" and "as is". Why make a stupid statement about having no film? Thats just plain ignorant.

There is film to check the camera, he just didnt want to check the camera.

I sell on ebay and have 100% positve rating. I know how to sell on ebay and I know how to list items in an accurate fashion. I get VERY annoyed when I run into sellers who just dont give a DAMN how they treat potential buyers.

These are the same ignorant asses that give ebay a bad name.

Here's one of my auctions. I was very honest and my starting price was 9.99, This didnt stop me from testing the lens and posting accurate info. I expect the same kind of honesty from other sellers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
I have often come across the term "snappy",I am beginning to think a lot of sellers copy each others terminology....would be a great sticky to have some of the terms translated....LOL

I use "snappy" all the time... Laughing

I just let the buyer know that the lens actually clicks into place at each stop, therefore "snappy".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

I use "snappy" all the time...

I put a sprig of mint in all my eBay pictures. That way I can call my sale cameras 'minty'. Works every time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a snappy,minty lens is a great deal.... Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piticu wrote:
He also listed that camera comes with a

# Lens: X-FUJINON
* 1:1.2
* f = 55mm
* FUJI PHOTO FILM JAPAN

and that is a plain bullshit. My advice: leave him alone! I wouldn't buy from a guy like him.

I notice it's listed on the description page as a 1.2, but overleaf on the larger picture page it's suddenly a 2.2, so he can claim it was listed correctly, at least in part.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to put some spare 120 film for sale on eBay.

In the listing, I'm going to write 'No camera to test'.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****I dont care what the price is on the item, thats not my point.***

Well as a buyer the point is:- to get the items at the cheapest price, after all it's an auction and if a seller says something like "I don't know anything about cameras" or don't have a battery" etc or a blurred photo shown, I don't mind a gamble if the price is right and if these sellers scare off bidders then great, less competition as I'm well up on bargains to failures over the years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

These are the same ignorant asses that give ebay a bad name.

Here's one of my auctions. I was very honest and my starting price was 9.99, This didnt stop me from testing the lens and posting accurate info. I expect the same kind of honesty from other sellers.

The listing includes...

To fit camera : Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Sony

It does not state that an adapter is needed for some of these cameras or that auto-aperture will be lost when an adapter is used.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'No camera to test'.

Or you could say used as you did test it and it works perfectly!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
I am going to put some spare 120 film for sale on eBay.

In the listing, I'm going to write 'No camera to test'.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
****I dont care what the price is on the item, thats not my point.***

Well as a buyer the point is:- to get the items at the cheapest price, after all it's an auction and if a seller says something like "I don't know anything about cameras" or don't have a battery" etc or a blurred photo shown, I don't mind a gamble if the price is right and if these sellers scare off bidders then great, less competition as I'm well up on bargains to failures over the years.

I expect to be treated as I treat others.
This guy seems to have had quite a few unsatisfied buyers!

I was looking at this camera because I collect Fujicas. I read his entire description and checked his past feedback then I shook my head in disgust.

I wanted the camera body and one that functions, this seems to be hit or miss with this guy.

I want a working camera, but I will not take a chance with this seller, 12.99 or not. If the camera dosent work the repairs will cost me more than it's worth.

So how about a HONEST description and assessment of the camera?

As I stated: As a seller I check all my gear and leave an honest assessment no matter what price I start my auctions at.

As a buyer I expect the same.

I dont think this is asking too much from a seller. If he's too lazy to check the gear he's selling and gives a lame excuse such as not having film to check the camera, then perhaps another hobby would be more suited for this seller.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get something cheap with a bad description/pics...it's a gamble you take. I've gotten both good and bad that way.

IMO...if a seller wants to fail at selling, then so be it. If he's not willing to test something, then keep going. I know that I, 99% of the time, would rather buy something as "tested, working, shown functional" than buy something "as-is, untested." Even for $13...you'd be stuck with something you probably couldn't sell for $13.

So...take the chance if $13 doesn't mean a lot and you don't mind potentially getting a paperweight.

That's my opinion. If a seller seems shady and is doing all he can to NOT take my money...I move on and find someone worthy Cool

[This was a general rant Laughing ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most things it is buyer beware. I feel sure there are those who deliberately use the often-seen phrase "I don't know anything about cameras" as an excuse to sell faulty items and there are ill-informed people willing to buy them, but then we are better informed to know if the risk is worthy or otherwise.

Certainly there are those who want to maximize exposure when people are doing searches, which explains rubber bulbs for blowing dust off lenses as "for Canon", "for Nikon" etc. But listing M42 lenses as "for EOS" would be a bit of a stretch, and the proliferation of "RARE" in description certainly gets my alarm bells ringing.

Eventually someone will offer "Extremely rare Jaguar SS-100" but is only a single bolt: in the fine print he says, "I don't know anything about cars, but I think some extra parts are required"! Razz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
and the proliferation of "RARE" in description certainly gets my alarm bells ringing.

I'm normally a pretty rational sort of chap, but there are a few things that cause me to bypass an auction without looking further, and that's the appearance of certain key words in a listing, such as WOW! and 'L@@K'.

'RARE', yes, that's a funny one. My favourite 'RARE' was an auction for a Yashica FX-3, 'the very rare black version'. The FX-3 was only ever made in black.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm some of you guys are so fussy you would have turned this down, a similar example for the thread:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190315970820

I went for it, the Konica-Tamron2 adapter was worth at least a fiver, body cap £1 and so on.......and I'm sure you have worked out that I ended up a happy bunny.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
erm some of you guys are so fussy you would have turned this down, a similar example for the thread:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190315970820

I went for it, the Konica-Tamron2 adapter was worth at least a fiver, body cap £1 and so on.......and I'm sure you have worked out that I ended up a happy bunny.

Even if I was into Konica/Minolta cameras, I would have passed on it. Run-on sentences with like 3 periods in the whole description...as the internet saying goes...TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read) Laughing