Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mint- = fungus+oil ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Mint- = fungus+oil ? Reply with quote

I bought this S-M-C Bellows Takumar 100/4 :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270428142590

Shipping to France : $34.15

So price is not especially good, but I'd searching for this lens for a while, and the condition was said to be mint-.

That's what I received yesterday :

This lens is clearly not in mint- condition (altough lens barrel is ok). Answer of the seller :

Quote:
Cher(ère) pentax_k100,

I will accept a return and split the return shipping fees with you. I believe this is fair. The overseas shipping fees are so expensive. That is the reason in the past I did not ship overseas.To my eyes the lens looked like new. I had a friend look at it and he agreed. I have no problem with a return as long as we share the return shipping cost. Please provide a tracking number upon its return and I will refund half the shipping cost via paypal.
Thank you,
Anthony

So, two persons look at the lens and do not see these fungus and oil ? I can't believe it. I think it's a common method : you sell a lens with hidden defcts, you know that it will be sold overseas, and you say that return costs are yours. The buyers lose too many money, and prefer keeping the lens. As for my Auto Takumar with arrived with jammed aperture blades Rolling Eyes
As I paid by paypal, do you have any suggestions for me (I don't have yet show the pictures above to the seller) ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd first make sure that it's indeed fungus. I have seen Pentax lenses with a residue on the internal lens elements, which could have been there from the factory. That can easily be cleaned. Please post a bigger version of your photo of the front element.

I would not mind oily blades on this lens though. But that's my opinion; Mint- ones should not have oil on them of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see 6Mpix versions by clicking on the pictures Wink They are on several lenses, we can see fungus on rear elements too Confused

I agree with the oil, there is no problem, as its a manual lens, but it does not come with mint state Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't see that, but it's indeed fungus. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the most fungused lens I ever had. I already tested it (I posted pics of my lenses in my topic), @f/8, sharpness is ok (but I only have a 6 Mpix sensor), @f/4 I'm doubtful. Even a non photographer could see them Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the best way is to make your problem more visible to the public. Seller is a 100% liar. Start to discuss with him through ebay system calling him to "ring". You bought item which was described in auction and received later item which was not described in the auction. There is the law about contract everywhere that in case when seller hide something, transaction could be reversed without any costs on buyer side. In such case even seller states in auction that e/g "in any situation shipping costs are not refundable without exceptions" is only a BS. You paid your Total for this what you didn't want to buy (faulty lens here)
If you used paypal and payment was done from your cc not from savings/checking/paypal account contact your credit issuer and report fraud.
Send to the seller messages only using ebay messaging system.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is what VOYTEK said. Why should you pay any return shipping on a defective lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report it via PayPal as Item Significantly Not As Described and file for a refund of all your payment, including shipping.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "problem" is, that I don't what, if it is possible, to return the lens. Except for the fungus/oil, it is in a very good condition, almost complete (rear cap seems to be not original, hood is for S-M-C Macro Takumar, not the Bellows one). I think I will shows the pics, and ask for a partial refund of 30$, thats that return cost will cost me. And I will open the lens in order to clean it, as there is no focusign mecanism, no automatic opening mechanism, the construction should be simple. Do you think it would be a fair deal ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"glass is pristine" Laughing

If the seller doesn't agree to the partial refund, start an ebay dispute immediately. I don't want to see clowns like this get away with this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:

If the seller doesn't agree to the partial refund, start an ebay dispute immediately. I don't want to see clowns like this get away with this.

That's right, dispute [not as described] - claim - done. "Attila speaking".Laughing

I have a problem like yours and I have no answer from the seller, following the precedure, I'll have all my money back on 5 August. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
The "problem" is, that I don't what, if it is possible, to return the lens. Except for the fungus/oil, it is in a very good condition, almost complete (rear cap seems to be not original, hood is for S-M-C Macro Takumar, not the Bellows one). I think I will shows the pics, and ask for a partial refund of 30$, thats that return cost will cost me. And I will open the lens in order to clean it, as there is no focusign mecanism, no automatic opening mechanism, the construction should be simple. Do you think it would be a fair deal ?

Seller has 100% feedback from 2000 so not bad guy at all I believe and he care about customers. If you like this lens ask him about cleaning cost I believe he will pay it and enjoy this lens. Don't rush with cleaning if you store right it will not go more worst. Cleaning remove MC layer from lenses so do it only if really necessary. If seller won't refund your money you can able to tell him we have a very nice community here with nice guys , but they are not like much liars so some of members in USA will visit him and ask him why he sold fungus-ed lenses as MINT ? Another members love to purchase something and give negative feedbacks .. 10-15 or more negative feedbacks really not help much on his business.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnet-2009 wrote:
Shrek wrote:

That's right, dispute [not as described] - claim - done. "Attila speaking".Laughing

I have a problem like yours and I have no answer from the seller, following the precedure, I'll have all my money back on 5 August. Wink

That is cool! I like happy ends ! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is exactly why I pay a higher cost to get Takumars that ARE in mint condition or as close to that description as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens was described as mint-, I discover the real condition when I received it.

However, I just send a message to the seller arguing for a 30$ refund, now I'm waiting for his reply. As he sells (and sold) photographic equipment, he knoiws what fungus means...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seller is different than Keith Rock, it seems that this seller aims to keep his 100% score, whereas Keith doesn't seem to care.

Therefore, if he does not respond, give him a neg rating ... then he will contact you asking to remove this rating and settle this.