Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor 100/2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Minolta Rokkor 100/2.0 Reply with quote

I just pulled the trigger on this lens...
I searched on web to find some information, but not too much information except that it is pretty rare to find one.

It will be a while till I try the lens on my 5D MkII, because I plant to convert it during my trip to Korea next month.

Can anyone who has experience with this lens share some information?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version do you have ? Can you show a picture ? I have PF 100 f2 Rokkor which is a rare superb lens.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/minolta/minolta_md_rokkor_100mm_f2/

Last edited by Attila on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:18 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have it yet....
It says "Minolta Auto Tele Rokkor-PF" inside the front element.

I paid a lot of money......$325.....Sad

I think the lens is close to 60 years old.....

Can you share some pictures take with it or any link....?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link is there in my previous post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...Okay....my bad.
I missed it....Smile

Thank you....

BTW, was the price I paid reasonable?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huhging wrote:
Oh...Okay....my bad.
I missed it....Smile

Thank you....

BTW, was the price I paid reasonable?

Yes. This lens is seriously good and very rare I seen only two , three copies maximum under 4 years including yours. You and me were lucky this lens didn't come with popular mount. If this lens has M42 or Nikon mount for example I believe it's price will be lot higher.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the years I was actively using/collecting Minolta manual focus lenses (up to 2004) I hardly ever came across mention of one, never mind any for sale. It was seen as one of the most rare Minolta MC lenses (the elusive 800mm Telyt-S in factory SR mount was the rarest I remember) More recently I've seen more samples on he web, but still I regard it as rare and - in good condition - worth more than what you've paid. I may be sentimental about Minolta but I wouldn't convert this lens because of its rarity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85mm to 135mm is my favorite focal length.
I can't wait till I try this somewhat rare find......... Laughing

Did you convert the lens, or are you using it on Sony or Minolta Camera?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
In the years I was actively using/collecting Minolta manual focus lenses (up to 2004) I hardly ever came across mention of one, never mind any for sale. It was seen as one of the most rare Minolta MC lenses (the elusive 800mm Telyt-S in factory SR mount was the rarest I remember) More recently I've seen more samples on he web, but still I regard it as rare and - in good condition - worth more than what you've paid. I may be sentimental about Minolta but I wouldn't convert this lens because of its rarity.

Yike...!
That means I have to buy Sony Camera..... Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huhging wrote:

Yike...!
That means I have to buy Sony Camera..... Shocked

Well, no. No Sony I know of can use an SR mount lens with infinity focus any better than your 5D II. Smaller sensor cameras like the micro4/3 would be an option.

Can you tell whether the 100/2 has a rear mount similar to the 58/1.2 or 85/1.7? If so, you may be able to exchange rear mounts in the Jim Buchanan way, non destructively.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about him....
What is the cost of his conversion kit?
Can a newbie like me can do it on my own if I have his kit?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the kit fits this lens it is very simple to install, just a matter of unscrewing the original mount ring and screwing his back on. The problem is that AFAIK only the 58/1.2 (and maybe the 85/1.7) has this simple rear mount, with the aperture couplings completely separate from the mount ring. The 100/2, being another large aperture lens from the same era, may have a similar mount ring, but as they are rare, I can't tell for certain.

Jim's kit cost me $69:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/748982/0#6820115

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info.....
I'll look into that...Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that lens on Ebay. There has been some rare Rokkor lenses that were listed in the last couple weeks.

Here is a link to what you bought. For everyone that missed the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-100mm-2-Auto-Tele-Rokkor-PF-Lens-w-Case_W0QQitemZ110496181056QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item19ba15eb40

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
The problem is that AFAIK only the 58/1.2 (and maybe the 85/1.7) has this simple rear mount, with the aperture couplings completely separate from the mount ring. The 100/2, being another large aperture lens from the same era, may have a similar mount ring, but as they are rare, I can't tell for certain.

It is true that while the 58mm f/1.2 and a couple of other specific lenses are extremely easy to convert, most Rokkors have one or two problems in this regard:

1) The rear of the lens may be one large piece, and removing it may also remove, e.g., part of the aperture ring, or the focusing system (usually the distance scale). For these lenses, the only solutions are cutting up the lens to make room for a new mount (not recommended!) or manufacturing a replacement mount specifically for this lens (difficult and probably not possible for most DIYers, but clean results if you can get it done).

2) Part of the aperture mechanism may be attached to the mount, causing the aperture not to stop down if the original mount is removed. Fortunately, is easy to fix in many lenses by inserting an additional spring (such as from a ballpoint pen) into the lens to stop down the aperture. Note, however, that it may be more difficult in some lenses, mostly newer MD-era Rokkors, which may contain more complex parts of the aperture mechanism in the mount.

To ascertain whether or not these problems affect your lens, you can simply disassemble the mount (it should be attached with screws on the rear of the lens, where it touches the flange on the camera). If a large piece comes off, you have issue #1 (bad). If a small piece comes off, determine whether or not the aperture mechanism still works while it's not attached, i.e. does the aperture respond properly to the ring. If not, you have issue #2. If you have issue #2, see if you can operate the aperture manually by moving two metal rods inside the lens closer together as you operate the aperture ring. If so, try inserting a spring between them.

For the replacement mount, I have had good results using flanged M42 adapters as a very cheap source of mounts. (The M42 part doesn't matter, just that the mount on the other side matches your camera!) For changing the mount itself, see my conversion guide for the 58mm f/1.2 Rokkor (after resolving the two possible issues above, neither of which applies to the 58mm f/1.2).

(I know there are some who disagree with DIY lens conversions, but I'll reiterate that this conversion, if done properly, is reversible and non-destructive, and only serves to give the old and somewhat incompatible lens a new life on a modern system; it can be restored to the original system, or another modern system, later if that becomes desirable.)

Last edited by Arkku on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:42 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

Here is a link to what you bought. For everyone that missed the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-100mm-2-Auto-Tele-Rokkor-PF-Lens-w-Case_W0QQitemZ110496181056QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item19ba15eb40

Based on the pictures in this listing, this particular lens looks like the mount might be part of a larger piece and thus hard to convert. =(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: i have 100mm f2 Reply with quote

Hi

i'm a happy man with my old 100mm f2 ..

is an superb lens, amazing and very easy focusing, sharp at f2 and with a very good bokeh.....

for me the 100mm f2 with the Mc 85mm f1.7 the best lens of minolta manual

some samples..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see my favorite lens in action ! Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great examples. I thought the 135/2 was the last on my list of manual Minolta's but it appears there is now another, and probably even more rare than the 135/2.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Leave some room for the link, it looks part of signature.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Attila wrote:

done, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
Attila wrote:

done, thanks!

You do nothing half-way. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100 f/2 is much more common in AF, some say that it is amazingly sharp wide open.
Same design?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 100mm AF it is the same design. It was already replaced in the seventies by a sharper 100mm 2.5 lens. I remember me that it was not my favorite because of the MFD (1.20 if I remember me well) and changed for the 85mm 1.7 and macro 100mm 3.5 that I still use both. If I recall correctly the 100mm 2.0 was somewhat soft wide open - but I cannot fast search for some pictures from so long ago, with specified apertures, sorry for that.

Last edited by Minolfan on Sun May 28, 2017 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: MC Tele Rokkor-PF 1:2 f=100mm 1320455 Minolta Lens Made in J Reply with quote

I am sorry that I have not read most of the earlier posts, therefore, I do not know some of the things discussed earlier.

I recently bought one "MC Tele Rokkor-PF 1:2 f=100mm 1320455 Minolta Lens Made in Japan" --as it is written on the front of the lens--which I guess is the second batch after Auto Tele Rokkor. It was at an estate sale and the seller asked for $135 for this lens together with a nice Minolta XE-7. I paid the asking price.

The owner probably has not used this camera/lens for quite many years. The lens probably had been sitting on the camera for all these years, collecting a lot of dust. The front was protected by a Samigon 1A filter, so it was perfectly clean. The rear glass was kind of dirty, but I easily clean it up and it is perfect now. In between, I can see one tiny dust particle and no other imperfection.

Today I took apart the rear half of the lens, giving it a careful cleaning, and also had a clear look of the mount and aperture controlling part.

I wish I could perform a reversible/non-destructive conversion to digital (I use Minolta/Sony A-mount). I have done this with one MC Rokkor-PG 58/1.2 and one RF Rokkor-X250/5.6, both with infinity focus. I am against a destructive/non-reversible conversion for lenses like these.

However, for this 100/2.0, the mount and the aperture control part are not separated, unlike the 58/1.2. What suggestions do you have? I really appreciate your input.

BTW, when mounted on my XD-11, it is a joy looking through the viewfinder. Very bright and crispy (the viewfinder of the XD-11 is brighter than that of the XE-7). Aperture wide open, the DOF is thin at close focus distance. But, when nicely focused, I have the feeling that the lens is sharp, easily resolving the details in the eyelashes from what I can see through the viewfinder. The out of focus areas are creamy. Nice bokeh effect even with harsh background lighting.

I really want to use it on my DSLR. Maybe, I have to give up infinity focus.