Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor 100/2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Various versions of the MC MD 100mm Reply with quote

Can anyone compare the different versions of the MC/MD 100/2.5? I have one copy each the MC Tele Rokkor 100/2.5 and 135/2.8. After I receive the MC/MD to NEX E-mount adapter, I will be able to compare the 100/2.0 with the 100/2.5 and 135/2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: NEX-3 Reply with quote

wwu124 wrote:
Thank you very much. I have the peaking level and color set.

About my previous message. I found that when I have the E-mount 18-55 attached and set to manual focus, the LCD magnifies automatically. When I use my A-mount lens on the LE-EA1 adapter, it does not magnify automatically. I have to push a button on the lower-right side to magnify the LCD display. This is probably called MF Assist and I can set how long the display remains magnified.

I love this MF capability of the NEX!! Does any DSLR has this type of capability?

I won't magnify automatically with any of you minolta lenses attached, the camera has no way to know when you rotate the focus ring, since a "screw drive" mechanism is used to focus minolta lenses; on the opposite your E-mount lenses have a in-body motor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: MC Tele Rokkor-PF 100/2.0 on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Received the MC/MD to NEX adapter. Took a quick picture on a grey/rainy day late in the afternoon, with the lens wide open. Focus was slightly off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Rokkor PF 100/2.0 on NEX-3 Reply with quote

My general impression is:

Near the center, the MC 100/2.0 is as sharp as the MC 100/2.5, both wide open. I cannot tell the difference in their sharpness. I can see that the Minolta AF 100/2.0 is sharper than both, but the MC 100/2.0 is quite sharp wide open.

With the NEX-3, precise focusing in bright daylight with wide aperture lens is kind of challenging. The depth of field is very thin, and the LCD display in bright daylight is not particularly good for precise manual focusing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: MC Tele Rokkor-PF 100/2.0 on NEX-3 Reply with quote

wwu124 wrote:
Received the MC/MD to NEX adapter. Took a quick picture on a grey/rainy day late in the afternoon, with the lens wide open. Focus was slightly off.

Well, it's still a lovely picture and very impressive at f2. It could benefit from just a light touch of USM maybe. I'm not sure I like the bokeh as much as I expected though, the highlights look a little too busy to me, but that's just my own preference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Rokkor-PF 100/2.0 Reply with quote

I actually felt the bokeh was not bad. For this picture I intentionally selected a background such that there are small and bright spots through the tree. This situation is kind of difficult for bokeh. The round bokeh pattern at least do not have an intense outline around the rim.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Nesster wrote:
Hey, is anyone interested in the Oct/Nov 1967 Camera 35 review of this lens? I'd post a scan but I've misplaced my scanner in the recent move Wink

100mm f/2 Tele-Rokkor
Resolution:
f/2 &f/2.8 center: 40 edge 34
f/4: 48 / 40
f/5.6 & f/8: 56 / 40
f/11: 64 / 48
f/16: 80 / 48
f/22: 56 / 40

Quote:
This lens is good at any aperture. Wide open, 40 lines/mm is, if not critical, at least outstanding. What makes it so good is the fact that images produced are crisp and the lens seems unusually free of flare. The focusing mount is smooth, although a bit tighter than I'd like. This lens is a favorite among pros, by the way. Some never use anything else. Matched up with the SRT-101 and its excellent internal meter, this medium telephoto, with its half-stop increment feature, offres and awful lot of control over exposure. Use it indoors and out. Price, $179.50.

they add, in the 135/2.8 write-up:
Quote:
This lens' performance is a close parallel with the 100mm f/2. Both seem to have the same high contrast and crispness. Again, a slightly tight mount, but it did free up with use and became extremely smooth. Optical performance is quite lovely for a lens this speed and length.

the 135 gets into the 56 /48 + range in the center by f/5.6, i.e. the 135 seems to sharpen up in the edges sooner than the 100.

The early Rokkor PF 135 2.8 is already climbing in price because it is such a good lens.With the new digital cameras that can except Minolta lenses its making the prices rise, but you can still get one cheap if you're careful.

I have the 135mm PF, but it is all dismantled because I tried to clean a bit of fungus... let's see if this lens survives lol

Then I would like to make a comparison to my 135 MC Celtic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Hey, is anyone interested in the Oct/Nov 1967 Camera 35 review of this lens? I'd post a scan but I've misplaced my scanner in the recent move Wink

100mm f/2 Tele-Rokkor
Resolution:
f/2 &f/2.8 center: 40 edge 34
f/4: 48 / 40
f/5.6 & f/8: 56 / 40
f/11: 64 / 48
f/16: 80 / 48
f/22: 56 / 40

Quote:
This lens is good at any aperture. Wide open, 40 lines/mm is, if not critical, at least outstanding. What makes it so good is the fact that images produced are crisp and the lens seems unusually free of flare. The focusing mount is smooth, although a bit tighter than I'd like. This lens is a favorite among pros, by the way. Some never use anything else. Matched up with the SRT-101 and its excellent internal meter, this medium telephoto, with its half-stop increment feature, offres and awful lot of control over exposure. Use it indoors and out. Price, $179.50.

they add, in the 135/2.8 write-up:
Quote:
This lens' performance is a close parallel with the 100mm f/2. Both seem to have the same high contrast and crispness. Again, a slightly tight mount, but it did free up with use and became extremely smooth. Optical performance is quite lovely for a lens this speed and length.

the 135 gets into the 56 /48 + range in the center by f/5.6, i.e. the 135 seems to sharpen up in the edges sooner than the 100.

Just a quick question, how can a lens be twice as sharp at f/16? this looks strange to me...or I can't read these numbers.

If this lens is similar to the 100 f/2 AF, it should be one of the best 100mm lenses in the world. I've seen some very impressive samples from the 100 AF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: MC Tele Rokkor 100/2.0 Reply with quote

I found two more pictures taken the same day. These do not have a harsh back-lighting situation, as the one posted previously. Or, for the first picture, the relative distance to the focus distance is more favorable for better background rendition (focused to a closer distance). Lens wide open at f/2.0. Again, the focus is again slightly off.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: MC Tele Rokkor-PF 100/2.0 low light shoot Reply with quote

Check out this low light picture taken by my 10-year-old kid, with the Rokkor-PF 100/2.0 wide open on NEX-3. ISO 800, 1/80s. I looked quite tired after ten days of serious virus and cold.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Flower Reply with quote

Taken on a gloomy day, with Rokkor-PF 100/2.0 on Sony NEX-3, at f/2.8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: a new picture by MC Rokkor-PF 100/2.0 at f/2.8 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two samples, wide open, on 30D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max, #2, what a sweet shot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
Max, #2, what a sweet shot.

+1, lovely portrait!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for nice comments, here is another one, from Rome, also 30D, tripod, I suppose f4 or f5.6. I like the volume:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Some one was talked into selling his 100/2.0 for $100 Reply with quote

A day or two ago, I was searching for the MC 100/2.0 on eBay just for fun, and happened to find some one selling one in an auction at a low starting price. I put it one watch. Then, today, I found the auction ended with a BIN price of $100. The seller revised the auction to add a $100 BIN price and the item was sold a couple of minutes later. See this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280821176239?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just paid almost that for a MD 2.5 version Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Crazy!

+1
Insane low price! ... Smile

I got the 100/2 last year at $400.

And saw another eBay auction ended with $800+ price ...!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller knew nothing about this lens, and the buyer took advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those people who are looking for a (probably) bargain rokkor 100/2 refer to the following link:

Click here to see on Ebay

The title does not mention anything about rokkor 100/2 but you can see it in the pictures. the seller says it has some scratches.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giant thread bump...
Probably my best score yet, $75 at a thrift shop (including original hood and case and a SRT101 and 55/1.7)

Catch of the day by scepticswe, on Flickr

As soon as my adapter arrives, I'll stick it onto my A7R and try it out. I'll post the results here, if you guys (and gals) are interested...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goes to best bargains topic! I have a reason not to read it. Jealousy! Smile. Now you got me here by surprise and i have strange
feeling in my stomach Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you drop lucky, and you just did. Very Happy