Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor 100/2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, I have to get the NEX.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwu124 wrote:

Yes.

Btw, Minolta MD 135/2 is much rarer than MC/MD 100/2.

The last manual Rokkor was made 1984, and 135/2 was introduced at 1981
so not many were made, since Minolta started making AF Minolta Maxxum 7000
and AF lenses since 1985.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see the Minolta MD 135/2.0 on eBay once during the last 12 months. I did not bid on it. The auction ended around $500 but I forgot the exact dollar amount. after I saw the final price, I kind regretted that I did not enter a bid. But then, every time I enter a bid, there is always somebody out there who will beat me. I have one Formula 5 MC 135/1.8 by Mitake, which I converted to Minolta/Sony A-mount. I have no idea how this lens compares with the Minolta MD 135/2.0. One day I will bring my Mitake 135/1.8 to a Sony Style shop (the closest one is about 100 miles away) and compare with the Zeiss 135/1.8, just for fun.

I will post images of the MC Tele Rokkor 100/2.0 in the bear future. Let me post two pictures of the Mitake 135/1.8 for now, since I have just mentioned it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: OT, Formula 5 MC 135/1.8 by Mitake Reply with quote

Here are two more picture of the Formula 5 MC 135/1.8 by Mitake, on my Minolta X-700.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Comparing MC Tele Rokkor 100/2.5 and 135/2.8 with 100/2.0 Reply with quote

I also have a mint condition MC Tele Rokkor-PF 1:2.5 100mm. I took apart the lens mount and the aperture ring. They are separated from each other. Not exactly the same as in the Rokkor 58/1.2, but very similar. Therefore, it is not difficult to perform a reversible/non-destructive conversion to other AF mount. It requires (1) the new mount, chipped or not chipped; (2) a spacer ring similar to the one used in the Rokkor 58/1.2; (3) an additional spring (such as those one can take from a ball pen) and use it to pull the aperture rod to a fixed pint (a screw) inside the lens barrel.

I will buy a couple of chipped A-mount for Minolta/Sony A-mount and then convert the 100/2.5. Convert back to MC is very simple. Just remove the A-mount conversion kit and re-attach the MC mount. The spring added to the lens can be left there.

I also check out my MC Tele Rokkor 1:2.8 135mm. Its mount and aperture ring arrangement is virtually identical to that of the MC Tele Rokkor 100/2.5, therefore, can be converted in the same manner, un-destructively and reversibly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwu124 wrote:

Or a Micro 4/3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: MC Rokkor 1:2 100mm Reply with quote

Yes, NEX or Micro 4/3. Either way, I have to divert some of my resources.

Which is the better choice? I need to compare the pros and cons of these cameras. One thing I know is, NEX has the APS-C size sensor, and the 4/3 has an about 40% smaller sensor. So, for DOF control, NEX is probably better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Pics of MC Tele Rokkor-PF 1:2 100mm Reply with quote

I guess this is the second version after the Auto Tele Rokkor. It has half-stop clicks, except between f/2 and f/2.8. See pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results I see from NEX on this site and others are quite impressive. I look forward to getting one myself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: About Sony NEX Reply with quote

If you have used the NEX or have knowledge of this camera series, I would appreciate very much your input.

Should I go with the new NEX-7 or save some money and go with the NEX-5?

NEX-7 has the focus peaking capability, which is helpful for manual focus. But I seam to have read from somewhere that there is a firmware upgrade which will add this capability to NEX-3 and NEX-5.

NEX-7 has a larger sensor, same as the one in Sony A77 and A65, but there is certainly noise issues which has been broadly discussed. This friendly review

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_a65_first_impressions.shtml

of A65 shows the obviously visible noise even at ISO 100 or 200 when compared to Sony A900 which by itself is not a particularly great performer in the noise area.

Certainly, the NEX-7 has many other useful functions when compared to the NEX-5.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: About Sony NEX Reply with quote

Certainly, the electronic viewfinder in the NEX-7 should be much better than the one in NEX-5.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: NEX-3 arrived Reply with quote

I purchased a set of NEX-3, which included the camera plus the E-mount 16mm/2.8 and 18-55 zoom, one Sony A-mount 55-200 SAM kit lens, and one Sony LE-EA1 adapter for Sony/Minolta A-mount lenses, all in a like-new condition. I guess I will sell the 16mm/2.8 and the Sony 55-200 SAM. Auto focus using Sony SSM and SAM lenses on the LE-EA1 adapter is very slow. But in the manual focus mode, the camera works great. The LCD display of the camera automatically magnifies the view to a very high magnification, making manual focus a breeze, .

I am waiting for a MC/MD to E-mount adapter shipped from Hong Kong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for the NEX-5n, the sensor is probally the best ever

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: NEX-3 Reply with quote

I found my NEX-3 set for $500 including shipping. With all the parts in like new condition, the camera is almost free. I should be able to get back around $200 when I sell the 16mm/2.8 and 50-200 SAM. I am happy with this NEX-3 for now. Just cannot wait any longer for the MC/MD adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: NEX-3 Reply with quote

wwu124 wrote:
I found my NEX-3 set for $500 including shipping. With all the parts in like new condition, the camera is almost free. I should be able to get back around $200 when I sell the 16mm/2.8 and 50-200 SAM. I am happy with this NEX-3 for now. Just cannot wait any longer for the MC/MD adapter.

You'll be happy with the NEX 3 . I am too ,since may , I hardly touched the EOS You'll be happy also with the Rokkors . Please try carefully the 16mm .LucisPictor (Carsten) says it's not so bad . It's important not to regret (even if for its compactness mainly) later .
tell me please , how do the AF Minoltas perform on the NEX ? Maybe you'll post some samples in the Autofocus corner .
Congratulations for your choice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: NEX-3 Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the 16mm/2.8. I will check it out, especially compare with the 18-55mm zoom at 18mm, regarding image quality. My initial motivation to sell is, the 16mm/2.8 is not a low brighter than the zoom at 18mm/3.5, and at 16 or 18 mm, f/2.8 or f/3.5 does not affect the depth of field a lot. But the prime may have a real advantage in image quality over the zoom.

With the significant ease in terms of finding the focus using the NEX, I now feel it is not a good idea to convert those manual focus lenses to DSLR auto-focus mount. One can easily purchase a slightly out-dated NEX at a very low cost.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Minolta 2.5/100 went for less tha 30ukp a few days ago, I almost bought it. Wish I had now, seeing this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: About Sony NEX Reply with quote

wwu124 wrote:
If you have used the NEX or have knowledge of this camera series, I would appreciate very much your input.

Should I go with the new NEX-7 or save some money and go with the NEX-5?

NEX-7 has the focus peaking capability, which is helpful for manual focus. But I seam to have read from somewhere that there is a firmware upgrade which will add this capability to NEX-3 and NEX-5....

all NEX cameras have the peaking capability, the C3, 5N and 7 'natively, the NEX3 and 5 with firmware upgrade
see my answer in this thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/nex-models-confusing-t44531.html

wwu124 wrote:
Certainly, the electronic viewfinder in the NEX-7 should be much better than the one in NEX-5.

resultion is the same, technically they are identical, the only difference is that the one in NEX7 is built in while the one for 5N has to be attached at the accessory shoe. The one on the 5N can be tilted.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: NEX-3 Reply with quote

About attaching Minolta/Sony A-mount lenses to NEX-3 with the LE-EA1 adapter and setting focus to manual mode, I found that the LCD does not magnify automatically. I need to figure it out why. Even without magnification, the LCD display is so much bigger than the viewfinder in a DSLR, as such, manual focusing is a lot easier. My NEX-3 is loaded with the update firmware, including the peaking focus capability. However, I have not figured out how to do this. So, for the picture I attach below, I simply used the LCD display. I have the Minolta AF 100/2.0 attached to the LE-EA1 adapter. I took the picture at f/2.0 with the object just outside the minimum focal distance. I attach the original and the 100% crop.

By the way, auto focus with SSM and SAM lenses attached to the LE-EA1 adapter is very very slow and hesitating. I have tried with my Sony 70-200/2.8 SSM and the newly received Sony 55-200 SAM kit lens. I will not use the auto focus function of the LE-EA1 in a real shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: NEX-3 Reply with quote

Sorry, the 100% crop did not show up. Let me try again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: NEX-3 Reply with quote

wow, quite impressive!

wwu124 wrote:
...My NEX-3 is loaded with the update firmware, including the peaking focus capability. However, I have not figured out how to do this...

hm..I guess if that 'peaking level' is set to 'off'.
go to: 'settings > peaking level > and set it to 'low' 'mid' or 'high'
I hope this is what you need to do.

in next menu point you can set the color of the peaking feature

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: NEX-3 Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I have the peaking level and color set.

About my previous message. I found that when I have the E-mount 18-55 attached and set to manual focus, the LCD magnifies automatically. When I use my A-mount lens on the LE-EA1 adapter, it does not magnify automatically. I have to push a button on the lower-right side to magnify the LCD display. This is probably called MF Assist and I can set how long the display remains magnified.

I love this MF capability of the NEX!! Does any DSLR has this type of capability?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, is anyone interested in the Oct/Nov 1967 Camera 35 review of this lens? I'd post a scan but I've misplaced my scanner in the recent move Wink

100mm f/2 Tele-Rokkor
Resolution:
f/2 &f/2.8 center: 40 edge 34
f/4: 48 / 40
f/5.6 & f/8: 56 / 40
f/11: 64 / 48
f/16: 80 / 48
f/22: 56 / 40

Quote:
This lens is good at any aperture. Wide open, 40 lines/mm is, if not critical, at least outstanding. What makes it so good is the fact that images produced are crisp and the lens seems unusually free of flare. The focusing mount is smooth, although a bit tighter than I'd like. This lens is a favorite among pros, by the way. Some never use anything else. Matched up with the SRT-101 and its excellent internal meter, this medium telephoto, with its half-stop increment feature, offres and awful lot of control over exposure. Use it indoors and out. Price, $179.50.

they add, in the 135/2.8 write-up:
Quote:
This lens' performance is a close parallel with the 100mm f/2. Both seem to have the same high contrast and crispness. Again, a slightly tight mount, but it did free up with use and became extremely smooth. Optical performance is quite lovely for a lens this speed and length.

the 135 gets into the 56 /48 + range in the center by f/5.6, i.e. the 135 seems to sharpen up in the edges sooner than the 100.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: NEX-3 Reply with quote

I am very happy with this NEX-3 purchase. I initially was trying to pick between NEX-3, NEX-5, and NEX-7. Because of this good deal, I bought this NEX-3. It is a fantastic camera. NEX-7 is a lot more expensive. The sensor is likely to be better, but probably not much. I really want to congratulate those engineers who added all these MF capability to the NEX.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Hey, is anyone interested in the Oct/Nov 1967 Camera 35 review of this lens? I'd post a scan but I've misplaced my scanner in the recent move Wink

100mm f/2 Tele-Rokkor
Resolution:
f/2 &f/2.8 center: 40 edge 34
f/4: 48 / 40
f/5.6 & f/8: 56 / 40
f/11: 64 / 48
f/16: 80 / 48
f/22: 56 / 40

Quote:
This lens is good at any aperture. Wide open, 40 lines/mm is, if not critical, at least outstanding. What makes it so good is the fact that images produced are crisp and the lens seems unusually free of flare. The focusing mount is smooth, although a bit tighter than I'd like. This lens is a favorite among pros, by the way. Some never use anything else. Matched up with the SRT-101 and its excellent internal meter, this medium telephoto, with its half-stop increment feature, offres and awful lot of control over exposure. Use it indoors and out. Price, $179.50.

they add, in the 135/2.8 write-up:
Quote:
This lens' performance is a close parallel with the 100mm f/2. Both seem to have the same high contrast and crispness. Again, a slightly tight mount, but it did free up with use and became extremely smooth. Optical performance is quite lovely for a lens this speed and length.

the 135 gets into the 56 /48 + range in the center by f/5.6, i.e. the 135 seems to sharpen up in the edges sooner than the 100.

The early Rokkor PF 135 2.8 is already climbing in price because it is such a good lens.With the new digital cameras that can except Minolta lenses its making the prices rise, but you can still get one cheap if you're careful.