Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya M645
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Mamiya M645 Reply with quote

As if I am not already overloading my brain with information about photography and cameras, I had to go and get a medium format kit.

A pair of M645 bodies, eye level prism, 4 lenses (2.8/45, 2.8/55, 2.8/80 & 4/150), Komura Telemore, pistol grip, 2-120 inserts, 1-220 insert, a butt load of 58mm and 77mm filters and a REALLY nice Zero Halliburton hard case. Kit seems to have everything except film and owners manuals. It is going to be some time until I get around to shooting with this outfit, I need to work on m skills just a wee bit more.




PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of swweeett outfits ya got there, Mike! (Are you opening a camera
store somewhere?) I've seen some VERY marvey pics taken with the 645...

Bill


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Michael!

These are wonderful cameras, you got the ful set!.
They look really nice, seem to be in very good shape.

Jes.


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill - My room is starting to look like a store and I have actually been taking cameras and lenses apart, to clean and attempt to repair (nothing to expensive though). It got bad enough that I started listing a few things on eBay, nothing special yet.

Jes - I have no idea how to use it (yet)! Glass on all the lenses looks good and some of the barrels show considerable wear, which I think in this case is a good thing. I have been online reading the manuals and it does not seem to hard. Just wish I had someone around my way that used one, so they could show me (in person) how to load the inserts. I think I got it, but I am the type of person who learns quicker by watching it being done than I do by reading about it. I Guess I should buy some cheap 120 and give it a shot. I must say that the case this kit came in is better than any briefcase I have ever owned and there is probably $200 worth of filters that came with this kit.


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike you are my hero! This is a beautiful kit and you rescued it. Smile As I'm sure you have found with your other gear. Once you have fine equipment like this in the cabinet , it is difficult to let it sit. Congrats on your new adventure!

2.8/45 for medium format Shocked are you kidding me? WOW!


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
2.8/45 for medium format Shocked are you kidding me? WOW!


That is the lens that shows the most wear. The previous owner(s) must have really liked it Very Happy


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, that is a complete set!!


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look nice Mike. I have seen Mamiya pictures that would knock your socks off. My cousin used to use Mamiya and loved them. He still talks about them.


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice setup, Mike. A complete kit there by the look of it. I'm not jealous.... oh no.
Mr. Green Mr. Green
Anyway, the film insert is a piece of pi^^e to load. I'd never done one before and just followed the manual - it took 60 seconds being ultra careful. I've no doubt familiarity would bring that down to 10. I like the overall feel of the M645 and the film loading was something Mamiya must have paid attention to - it's really foolproof.
Best of luck with it - go on, tell us you got it for a steal. Smile


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be foolproof, but it might not be Mike proof!

Don't know if it was a steal or not. Got it for the opening bid of $500, no other bidders (that always scares me)


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thief Laughing


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:

Don't know if it was a steal or not. Got it for the opening bid of $500, no other bidders (that always scares me)


Hmm.... 4 lenses, two bodies, a metering prism.. +TC, enough filters to filter the world and a case. For 500?
Where do you hide your burglar tools? Smile


PS, High opening bids always put people off - even if it's worth way more.


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
PS, High opening bids always put people off - even if it's worth way more.


That is what I hoped! When I did a little research, I saw that bodies with 1 lens were going about $250. Seems the seller was a bit upset that he only got 1 bid, I paid right at the end of the auction, but did not receive a single email from the seller and he did not respond to 2 that I sent him. After about 6 days, I was getting worried and then the box showed up Cool


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
It may be foolproof, but it might not be Mike proof!

Don't know if it was a steal or not. Got it for the opening bid of $500, no other bidders (that always scares me)


It was a good price. There are a lot of older Mamiyas on the market and most of the slightly newer ones aren't that much more expensive.

I paid 1200 for a refurbished Mamiya 645AFD when they were pretty new.

The lenses are simply killer. You might consider a 45mm or a 35mm lens. WA's are wonderful on MF.

Cheers

Jules


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT idea on the "one high bid" thing! It worked well for you, and you got a VERY nice price, from what I can see of past history for kits like this.

It looks like you are HOOKED on camera equipment though, and I don't think the medical field has come up with a cure for this kind of problem... Laughing

Congratulations!


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have been rearranging the room all day, trying to get all the equipment in a proper spot (off the floor). I wish I had gotten into photography when I was younger.


PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have been rearranging the room all day, trying to get all the equipment in a proper spot (off the floor). I wish I had gotten into photography when I was younger.


I say that all the time, Mike! I had cameras when younger, but was so busy hiking that I didn't take the time to do much "pure" photography. Now that I'm old, I rather lament not taking it up sooner. But...better late than NEVER! Razz


PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been shooting all my life but not "seriously".

I'm glad I didn't get serious about photography until later in life. Learning all this information makes me feel like a kid again.

When I was like a kid, I felt like a kid anyway so it wouldn't have made any difference. Wink

Jules


PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
maddog10 wrote:
It may be foolproof, but it might not be Mike proof!

Don't know if it was a steal or not. Got it for the opening bid of $500, no other bidders (that always scares me)


It was a good price. There are a lot of older Mamiyas on the market and most of the slightly newer ones aren't that much more expensive.

I paid 1200 for a refurbished Mamiya 645AFD when they were pretty new.

The lenses are simply killer. You might consider a 45mm or a 35mm lens. WA's are wonderful on MF.
Jules


The 35mm maybe but the 45mm is soft, so I would'nt bother with it.


PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mamiya M645 Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
As if I am not already overloading my brain with information about photography and cameras, I had to go and get a medium format kit.

A pair of M645 bodies, eye level prism, 4 lenses (2.8/45, 2.8/55, 2.8/80 & 4/150), Komura Telemore, pistol grip, 2-120 inserts, 1-220 insert, a butt load of 58mm and 77mm filters and a REALLY nice Zero Halliburton hard case. Kit seems to have everything except film and owners manuals. It is going to be some time until I get around to shooting with this outfit, I need to work on m skills just a wee bit more.




Congrats on your purchase. If I were you I would ditch those two M645 bodies and think about making yourself an adapter so you can use those lenses on a modern DSLR....That way you benefit financially from the cheap lenses and have all the shooting convenience of a DSLR.
I have been using Mamiya 645 lenses on my Sigma DSLR's for years via a M645-SA adapter I made myself...Its every simple to make, as its essentially an M645 #1 extension ring, and an SA mounting plate with a 2mm spacer shim sandwiched in between.:
http://sigmasd10.fotopic.net/p17717695.html
You might want to ditch that 45mm too as its a soft lens...The 55mm and 80mm are the sharpest of that bunch and are therefore keepers
Wink


PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awaking this thread to ask if you was satisfied with that cam and glasses. Or what about some samples? Did you still have it is a question.